Where is USB External Storage for the 942/ViP622?

Charlie asked us in our meeting to have members state they were SatelliteGuys members when they were writing in.

Don't know why but he asked. :)

I think it is similar to the TV ads that say: "To get this limited time offer go to www.buymorejunkystuff.com/tv23 " or else " Call 1-800-555-1212 and ask for extension 23 " where "tv23" or "extension 23" just helps the marketing people to identify how well a particular ad is working, and where their customers are finding offers.

Similarly, E* probably wants to know how many of their customers go to Forums, and what sort of customer.

Last edited:
Reply I got...
Dear Don,
Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for the inconvenience. Specific information regarding your request when the USB HDD will be enable is not currently available. We do not know if or when this will happen

We thank you for your input as we continually review our options in order to provide a compelling lineup for our viewers. Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future announcements.
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.
Sincerely,

(name removed)
DISH Network e-Care

Pine Brook

Last edited:
I asked about external hdd and scheduling dvr events online through dish online. Got even more generic response. They didn't even acknowledge what I asked about.

Dear,

We thank you for your input. Unfortunately we do not have this information available at this time.
Please stay tuned for consumer Charlie Chats that are broadcast monthly on Channel 101 or logon to our website for future programming announcements.
Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.
Sincerely,

DISH Network eCare
Pine Brook

Here is the reply to my email questions I asked earlier this morning. On a side note, I believe Charlie/Jim replied to my USB external storage question this evening during the Charlie Chat.

Thank you for your e-mail.

I do apologize but we currently don’t have yet the USB external storage and new model of pocketDish.

If further assistance is needed, please feel free to call our Customer Service at 1-800-333-3474. We are open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to DISH Network -- Home <http://www.dishnetwork.com/> or reply to this email.

Sincerely,
DISH Network e-Care

"On a side note, I believe Charlie/Jim replied to my USB external storage question this evening during the Charlie Chat."

Yep. Charlie basically said late summer, small enablement fee, you can use any drive you want. It was a little ambiguous as to whether it was August or the fall, but I think when all the rambling was done it was August/late summer.

Keep your fingers crossed for the August 13th tech chat, and I'll try to keep my sarcasm and skepticism under control.;)

Edit: Fergie posted sound clips of the USB support comments in the Charlie Chat ReCap thread if ya wanna hear it verbatim.

Last edited:
I do believe our last-second email campaign got our question into the Chat.

Good job everyone who contributed!!!

Charlie's comments struck me as very optimistic. "It makes sense" for our DVR products to do this.

"Charlie's comments struck me as very optimistic. "

Me too.

I'll take their word over a canned email response from an out-of-the-loop rep anyday. Especially when it's what I WANT to hear.

Let the "it will be release THIS Thursday" post start from our favorite "Inside Source". :rolleyes:
I think this software release will help DISH more than the Subs, believe it or not. I think maybe it was Scott that posted how once the external support is released that DISH can expect less turnover because of all the recordings Subs will start hording. :hungry:

Here's my response back to my canned response letter. (just to ruffle some feathers) ;)

"Well, they said on last nights Charlie Chat that it would be released this August.
Which is it?
I'd rather you not reply at all than to give me a "Canned Response" letter."

Time for an external storage FAQ?

It would surprise me greatly if we get to August and it is not here yet.

The future for Dish is external storage and MPEG4. :)

When a person has a mpeg4 receiver they will have everything they need for the future. If they want a DVR they go to Best Buy buy a drive, plug it in to their receiver call Dish and have them activate DVR service on the receiver and now they have a HD DVR. (Dish did not need to roll a truck, and in addition they are now collecting DVR fees) :)

The future is external storage.
Ok, I now feel pretty good about external storage being announced in August and available shortly thereafter. However, it has been such a long wait that my mind has literally turned to mush when thinking about this issue and my upcoming needs. Perhaps a proactive "unofficial" USB external storage FAQ should be posted to help reduce the upcoming confusion (worse that the DVR Advantage program)

For example, in my case I already own two 622 and will probably add a 3rd purchased receiver in the near future. Additionally, I have two USB/eSata drives at the ready.

1. According to Charlie, I just need to connected a 500GB drive to a USB port on our primary 622 (most used) and viola, we're in business...no additionally DVR fees and the drive will work seamlessly.
  • Seamlessly means there will be no "archiving" nonsense, right?
  • Charlie mentioned plugging the USB drive into the front of the 622, but the rear port should be enabled, correct?

2. Attaching an external drive to a 211/222 basically means:
  • Calling Dish Network and having them activate this feature (involves paying a small USB Activation fee)?
  • Any scuttlebutt as to how much this small fee will be?
  • Is this a one-time fee or will it have to be paid for each storage device added to the matrix?
  • Is the storage device connected to only one device or can they be moved to other devices on the account?
  • If the device can be moved, will the recording still be viewable from another receiver?
  • How will the DVR software control what is being recorded to internal/external storage?
  • Will there be a software option to move recordings between internal/external storage?

3. I know it has been mentioned (can't find the post), but will a 211/222 functional identically to a 622 (9-day guide, name based recording, etc.) or will there be annoying software limitations? If so, will these limitations eventually be updated to where these are no discernable differences in functionallity between 612/221 and 222/622

4. Adding a USB external storage device to a 211/222 will require the individual to pay a monthly DVR fee...correct?

5. Ok, say someone has four 211 receivers (basic receiver in the future) and decides to get a single 1 TB USB storage drive. Are they now required to pay DVR fees on all four receivers in order to move the storage device from room-to-room? Does anyone agree that this business model will need to change?

• The 622 HD DVR will go the way of the Pterodactyl or users will pay an upgrade premium
  • Dish Network will have to implement a single account DVR Fee just like DirecTV and Cable ($9.98?)

6. Should I purchase a 211 or 222 as an additional receiver? It's only a bedroom receiver, but can this "DVR feature" use both satellite tuners?

Lastly, this thing has been in "beta" for many, many months. With the pending August release date, I don't see any harm in asking Dish Network to release beta testers from their NDA as well as answering fee and policy information.

"The rain in Spain falls maily on the plain":eek:

Not if you watched last night.

Two things came out of it, its coming late summer(maybe) and will require a ONE TIME fee.

I took it as one time fee for everyone. Scott might can clear this up.

When he was referencing the fee it was not a specific box so I took it as a technology fee. Im sure it wont be much and I agree they should be able to recoup the money spent to provide it, especially if it works well.

I probably wont adopt it at first to see how it goes.

Not if you watched last night.

Two things came out of it, its coming late summer(maybe) and will require a ONE TIME fee.

I took it as one time fee for everyone. Scott might can clear this up.

???
I watched the chat last night. If you heard a bunch of deats that I didn't, please share.
I heard august, one time fee, and any hard drive.
What more is there to talk about?
The only thing to come now is UNINFORMED speculation about details we don't have. Someone can post on old information about details that were planned but could have changed by now.
Let the uninformed speculation begin (I mean continue).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)