Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Well as you might have heard my DMSI motor crapped out when turning to 103 from 97. It gets so far and t hen flops over.

I have a 1.2 Meter (4 Foot) Fortec KU dish, and I am looking for a new motor. But I am having trouble finding one. The last one I got I got from Dave's GotCBand.COM website. But looks like he is sold out now. I went all over the place looking for them and the only one I found was from Sadoun which was $100 plus shipping, which seems a little high. But since it is the only one I can find it might have to be the one I go with.

Anyone else know where I might be able to find one? Thanks!

Well if I ever got stupid enough to want another KU motor, I would choose the HH120 STAB and then find a receiver with a lot of power coming out of the LNB port.

wow! You must have had a bad experience. Strong words! I'm still wanting to play with one sometime as a complete second setup!
I keep reading on this site how rare the motors are, and that slays me! What's the cause? Simple supply/demand situation? Kind of like the old "C/Ku combined LNB"
issue? (they're rare now, too1)

What's the cause? Simple supply/demand situation? Kind of like the old "C/Ku combined LNB"
Pretty much. They are only used in the niche FTA market on this side of the world so demand is low. Also for a seller to make it worth his while, one needs to bring over a large enough quantity. When you do that the shipping costs are so high because of the weight of these.

wow! You must have had a bad experience. Strong words! I'm still wanting to play with one sometime as a complete second setup!
I keep reading on this site how rare the motors are, and that slays me! What's the cause? Simple supply/demand situation? Kind of like the old "C/Ku combined LNB"
That's the key word alright "Experience". I've owned a dozen of them and fought with their deficiencies for years. The best one I had was heavily modified by my "experience". They were all problematic. Which I believe is mostly due to the use of power from the coax instead of an external source.

I think the other one failed due to the snow and the fact I didn't move it all winter. I am sure if I went out in the 4 FT of snow and removed the snow that built over it it would probably still work.

If GotCBand would have had one I would have ordered from there again. I also looked at MichaelElectronics but he had the HH-90 but his price was way too high, and it is currently at $888 which seems to be just a TAD too high. :D http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAB-HH90-Satellite-Dish-Motor-USALS-DiSEqC-1-2-FTA-/181675451845

I just grabbed a Stab HH-120 off of ebay and it should be here next week.

Reactions: KE4EST
You bought one of the best available!

Radio, These products aren't rare in China, just not being brought into North America.

Both items that you mentioned have historically had extremely high defect/return rates and generally receive very poor reviews. Not speaking for other distributors and resellers, but I am not interested in importing and being associated with poorly designed and failing products.

Maybe someone will design a better mousetrap or we will buy the tried and proven traps that are available. :)

Reactions: PopcornNMore
I also looked at MichaelElectronics but he had the HH-90 but his price was way too high, and it is currently at $888 which seems to be just a TAD too high.
Just a place holder, which I am about ready to remove. :D
Don't know if Dave and I will get any anytime soon.

Stab has a dish-weight compensation build in to help the dish back from east and west and takes less current than Moteck SG types .
Be smart and attach the dish as close possible to the motor housing , not at the end of the pipe as shown in the link above .

I have found the 1.2m dish to be a bit too much wind-load for the HH120. It physically broke from 60+mph winds, one of the threaded "ears" that bolts onto the bracket cracked and I had to get the case welded. The internal components were fine though. I have had this motor for many years and it still is my main dish mover, moving a 1m steel dish for the last couple of years after getting the housing welded. It is certainly worth 3-4X the cost of a cheap motor due to the heavy duty design and longevity! I recommend this unit if you are looking for a unit that is in any way dependable, as long as the one listed is the same as the one I have. Also I have purchased from Electorica in the past and have had no issues with them.

Be wary that the shaft diameter is wider than most, and smaller dishes won't fit unless modified. Dishes with a "U" bolt type clamp mounting system will likely work. Check measurements though...

I also have an SG2100 that still works ok on a 90cm dish which has given me good service, it is about 5 years old, likely one of the originals.

I got my Stab HH90 from an ebay dealer called Electorica. They seem to be decent. They also have HH120's, currently at $122.00.

See post #11 up the page?

FYI that HH120 they list was $104 about a month ago? The price "seemed" to start going up after I posted their fleabay link in another thread here. :( Probably won't ever do that again!

Hi,
I got a stab HH 90 from Electorica. The item is sold as new, but I can see scratches and chip paints where the m8x35 nut is tightened on the tube that is attached to the motor. The seller states that this is normal and can be the result of random testings of the motors by stab. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_4145.JPG
    IMG_4145.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 178
I seem to remember paying about double the price of a SG2100 for a STAB HH120. If a SG2100 was like $95 then the HH120 was $180 about 4 years ago. I think the quality and the made in Italy (NOT CHINA) makes it more expensive than the cheap motors. Seeing them less than that now, so I think the prices are quite pair. My SG2100 was a Lava brand it it was loud when moving and ultimately died. I bought a SG9120B and that was ok but lost its mind and was replaced by the STAB HH120. I would only buy another STAB, but even the cheap ones, as long as you know to keep your expectations in perspective with you get what you pay for.

Hi,
I got a stab HH 90 from Electorica. The item is sold as new, but I can see scratches and chip paints where the m8x35 nut is tightened on the tube that is attached to the motor. The seller states that this is normal and can be the result of random testings of the motors by stab. What do you think?
I wrote to STAB Italia, sending them the picture, and the "Responsabile clienti"'s answer was simply:
"this is not sold out by us"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts