Where to get replacement parts for 1.8m Prodelin ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dee_Ann

Angry consumer!
Original poster
May 23, 2009
Texas
Hi guys,

Quick question.

I have two 1.8m Prodelin dishes, Model 1183, receive only.
They are going to become Dish Network dishes soon. :D

Go BIG or go home!

I found manuals for them but so far all I can find is that the company is out of business now.

The dish I have here right now, has badly bent up arms and no LNB clamp/holder thingie.
The other dish that I have no picked up yet, I am not 100% sure if it is exactly the same as the one I have now but I am pretty sure it is.
I was told the arms and clamp thingie are all missing as well. But then they have no idea about what the dish is at all, not a single clue so I may get out there and find that the arms are on the ground near by.
I'll walk around and take a look at it when I go to meditation this Wednesday, it's there on the grounds behind one of the buildings.
I did see for certain that the hardware on the back for mounting it on the pole is all there so that's a majorly good thing. Whew! :whoo:

But what I'm really concerned with is where in the world would I find a place that I could buy replacement parts from??

Also, that brings to mind, a few years ago I had to buy a new LNB arm from an old Primestar dish I had and one of you guys gave me a link to a place where I could buy a new one.
Any chance you guys still remember where that website is? I have several old Primestar dishes that need parts, I might as well fix them and use them or fix up friends and family with a dish.

Thanks guys! :)

Dee if it were mine, I'd make what I needed out of steel conduit for the arms. Quite a few of us have 1.8's, so one of us should be able to get you some measurements if you need them. I am pretty sure Prodelin is owned by General Dynamics, yeah that General Dynamics, and is still making dishes. So if you REALLY wanna buy the parts, you can.

And, as an aside, as a fellow sweatbox southerner, don't count on that 1.8 eliminating rainfade. On regular Ku it can still rain hard enough here in southern LA to knock the strongest linear Ku signal out like a light.

EDIT:

the website ya looking for is Impakt:

IMPAKT Satellite Products

I'm using 1 meter individual dishes for Dish Network sats, (I have tree issues) and to tell you the truth, they only offer about 5 points higher signal level (VIP622 rec.) , over the standard 20" Dish 500 type dish. They are also much more critical for aiming, as the signal is more concentrated. Seriously, 1.8m dishes would only be needed for Alaska, or maybe if you were way out of the beam. I see no real advantage to you for using them, except to play.

I will snap a better picture of my lnb mounts today. The arms on mine are intact, but the clamp was broken. I improvised, knowing I was going multiple feed with it.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

I'm using 1 meter individual dishes for Dish Network sats, (I have tree issues) and to tell you the truth, they only offer about 5 points higher signal level (VIP622 rec.) , over the standard 20" Dish 500 type dish. They are also much more critical for aiming, as the signal is more concentrated. Seriously, 1.8m dishes would only be needed for Alaska, or maybe if you were way out of the beam. I see no real advantage to you for using them, except to play.

exactly. I had a 90cm dish set for 129W when I had dish mainly because I was on the border of the spotbeam I wanted. ;)
National HD signals went up 5-7 points on the "miser meter" (Dish meters are miserly on the signal)

I have 3 of these dishes setup out in the yard currently and converted to C band. Each has the same reflector but varying mounting configurations. If you need any photos of the mounts or hardware let me know. Two of mine came with the NPRMs and one didn't and is now mounted on a 4" pole. One thing to keep in mind is that these things are heavy to work with.

Thank you guys! :)

I have dishes running out of my ears so I might as well.

Right now I have a 1.2m, a 1m and a .96 dish each dedicated to 129, 119 and 110 respectively..
Yeah, I went to the dark side and subscribed to Dish. :eek:
I'm a borderline FTA traitor but I still have them and use them daily and still have plans to expand my FTA dish farm. :eek:
And now I have a helper :kiss:.. (aka slave labor :whistle: )

As for rain fade, the larger dishes I have now have helped a great deal but you're right, we get some gully washers here that can and do totally kill it. But my downtime is minimal.
We had some very heavy rains last week. My boyfriend who also has Dish (he's using an old Dish 500 dish and no HD, 110/119 only) lost signal for several hours each day.
I only lost signal for maybe 5 minutes on one day when it was extremely heavy rain.

I'm planning on dedicating the two 1.8's and the 1.2 for Dish. All the other dishes will be for FTA.

Now I'm to the point I don't care what the neighbors think or like, they can KMA if they don't like my dishes. And they ain't seen nothin yet!
Wait until I get the BIG dishes over here! I still have yet to retrieve my 11' and 14' dishes! :neener

And thank you all for the links!! You guys are the best! :)

hey Dee....What is your timetable to go out to the site and start on "The Project"..I went out to say hi to Miss K
but she was not there,just to let her know we have not forgotten about the project..Give me a call and I might be available
when you decide to go.

hey Dee....What is your timetable to go out to the site and start on "The Project"..I went out to say hi to Miss K
but she was not there,just to let her know we have not forgotten about the project..Give me a call and I might be available
when you decide to go.

Hey guy!

I am sorry I missed your call yesterday, I was outside gardening all day. I'll give you a ring later today. I'm keeping weird hours again..

I am finally able to post the pics of my prodelin lnbf mounting method.

ForumRunner_20120701_132228.png

ForumRunner_20120701_132258.png

It is not a pretty install, but it works with parts I had on hand, unistrut, conduit clamps, threaded rod, and 1/4-20 hardware.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

Ok, here is my old thread. Wow, I can't believe it's been over a year!

I'm still trying to find an LNB bracket for this dish as show in Step 2 below..

j6H1FU6apmtEd.png

My dad can straighten out the bent arms, that's no problem. My dad made an adapter to fit the 3 1/2" pole as it was made to fit a 4" pole. I don't have one at the moment and I had a 3 1/2" pole unused after I threw away that $80 rustbucket C-band dish last year.

It's sitting on the pole now and feels very solid, I am not concerned about it blowing down. All I really need is the LNB bracket. I've seen several home made suggestions but I don't think I'll have much luck, I'm not very handy at making things from scratch. If I could get some high resolution photos of a real bracket, maybe my dad could make one. He has a little machine shop in his garage that he piddles away on. I would ~think~ he could make one from a chunk of aluminum if he had photos to go by. I can't even find any photos of one though... :(

I've looked around for anyone selling parts and haven't had any luck with that either. At best I found someone selling the whole dish for like $500 plus a BUNCH of shipping $$$...

Thanks.. :)

Two more ideas

As long as you are going for a performance boost, I have to wonder what the difference would be between the original Ku feedhorn for that dish, and the one on a stock DishPro LNBF (bandstacked)?
That would be three LNBFs plus a DP-34.
The other thing which you might get answered in our DishNet forum, is whether there is any situation where you might get four birds via a DPP-44 switch, to alleviate rainfade?
I recall that was discussed on another site, before I ever came to SatGuys, but living in a desert, I never paid much attention. ;)

As long as you are going for a performance boost, I have to wonder what the difference would be between the original Ku feedhorn for that dish, and the one on a stock DishPro LNBF (bandstacked)?
That would be three LNBFs plus a DP-34.
The other thing which you might get answered in our DishNet forum, is whether there is any situation where you might get four birds via a DPP-44 switch, to alleviate rainfade?
I recall that was discussed on another site, before I ever came to SatGuys, but living in a desert, I never paid much attention. ;)

Oopooopsy. I meant step 3. I was tired, sorry. :/

Well, I was planning on this being a single bird dish. I would LIKE to use it on 129 for my D* HD.
But the way it's placed now and the trees where they are, it wouldn't work. I would have to plant a new pole for it like 30' away. The 1.2m I have for that right now is playing peek-a-boo with 129 and the trees. The tree however came down with a little something and dropped most of its leaves. :sick: I hope it doesn't recover. Muhahahahaha!!!

But, where it is now is a prime location for 83.
But if Luken won't sell a few yachts and save his business and goes the way of Equity, well then I don't know what I'll aim it at. :(

Ultimately I suppose I'll have to plant a new pole on the other side of the yard to be able to peek around that (ill) tree. As it is now I have three dishes aimed at three D* satellites, a .98m for 110, a 1.0m for 119 and a 1.2m for 129. Rain fade rarely bothers me. My biggest problem is loss of signal due to droopy dishes when the ground dries up. I have taken to watering the farm with a soaker hose and a timer.

Posted with my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys app

Last edited:
But, where it is now is a prime location for 83.
But if Luken won't sell a few yachts and save his business and goes the way of Equity, well then I don't know what I'll aim it at. :(

You could always aim for 87W and use outboard LNB's for 83 and 91. 91 is a decent feed satellite. Just a thought.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)