Where to use 6 foot Mesh Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
On Saturdays when I go to work at a friend's house, we drive past a good looking 6 foot, prime focus mesh dish. Lots of discussion on not being that good for C-Band. I have been thinking about stopping and seeing if they want to get rid of it. But that brings up a thought of just on what and where would a dish like this be useful?(suggestions of a bird bath, not good. It is mesh and will not hold water.)

Ive said it before... some C-band is better than no C-band.

Personally I'd love to get my hands on one as I can install it in the backyard without drawing any attention to it. Issue is I can't find any in the area and the dish seller in Toronto is selling his stuff in US$ which adds an extra 35% to it along w/ unreasonable shipping costs

If it's free I'd get it if only to have the polar mount and actuator to use on something else! I need one of those myself as I've got a Janel Junior that's a 6 footer that's a 4 piece solid aluminum dish I thought about setting up for Ku only but the mount on it is crap!

FYI, some guys here have modified polar mounts to use with 1.2 or larger Ku offset dishes and from what I hear, they work much better than the regular offset motor/mounts, ie, HH120 which is slow as a snail and expensive.

Ennywho, always remember this where hobbies are concerned, you can NEVER have too much free "STUFF"!

I know if I had it, I would park that mug on 127W so NASA TV was always ready I bet you could get 65% signal quality on that transponder. And if it was fixed you could tweak it pretty good for a dedicated feed like that. I hope one day I can get a fixed dish for NASA. Or maybe you can put it on a portable mount that you can move around the yard. Or put it on part of the arch that maybe you cant quite get to. Heck, use it for "testing" purposes. Better to have it and not need it, then need it and wish you would have grabbed it when you had the chance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)