Where will you go, if and when Voom ends?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Vlad D

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 5, 2004
South Florida
I have had Voom since March 2004, and I love it. It will very sad day in my house if Voom does go black.

While I still hope that Voom may find a way to continue providing service, I am thinking about what to do if they don't.

Basically my options are DirecTV or Dish. Cable is not an option for me since my cable provider doesn't offer HD. Prior to Voom I had DirecTV, and I still have the dish installed and a Panasonic TU-HDS20 STB in my closet, so that would be the easiest solution. I'm also thinking about an HD DVR; Dish 921 vs DirecTivo. I recently got a TiVo, and I like it's ease of use. So that also has me leaning back towards D*.

Hopefully Voom goes on and all this won't matter.

So what are everyone else's plans?

You should be reading some of the other threads about VOOM, Dish and the FCC. No fat lady has sung and she isn't even up to he microphone.

For me the answer is easy. I have the D* dish installed and I own the D* Hughes HDTV receiver, acquired before I signed on with Voom. Another benefit to D* in my area is that it broadcasts alll four networks: CBS, NBC, Fox and ABC, so that OAB becomes less of an issue.

Martin21

A word of caution pertaining to TiVo and DirecTV...

As discussed in: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=46773, DirecTV has ended its relationship with TiVo and will no longer have a viable relationship with the software provider.

Existing TiVo DVRs are only MPEG2 compliant and therefore only have a short applicable life expectancy due to the implementation of MPEG4 and DirecTV's desire to retain all DVR fees; a substantial amount.

To purchase a DirecTV MPEG DVR and/or TiVo DVR at this juncture would be an expenditure that would be justifiable only if you had money to burn.

Even DirecTV is advising customers, in the know, to refrain from purchasing any STBs and DVRs, be it HD or SD, at this time since they have not taken a position as to a swap-out program, at no cost, or offer an upgrade, at perhaps a token discount, for clients with existing hardware. DirecTV has implied a single dish with single LNB should facilitate all needs.

So, as it stands now, all DirecTV STBs and DVR, HD and SD will be non-compliant with the forthcoming MPEG4 implementation.

Postscript: This also applies to DishNetwork and all their DVR and STBs as well.

Again, for more information pertaining to this subject please reffer to:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=46773

Ifit came to that...I would just go back to my C-BAND BUD (far better pq quality on SD than DISH or DIRECT), OTA and DVD until a better offer comes along like another HD service like VOOM. But PQ has always to be the deciding factor for me. Content is actually second. I'll watch anything as long it is in HD. Nuts I know.

Nowhere, I still have my Dish HD Pack and that's all I need. I would only miss MonstersHD, RaveHD and RushHD & UHD, I don't watch any SD channels.

If Voom folds, we will just rent 480p :down DVDs and forget about broadcast TV, at least for awhile.

We don't receive OTA here, and we are not interested in SD channels or mainstream commercial TV. Cable and other satellite services are not an option unless one of them starts to offer quality stuff (like Gallery, Equator, Rush, WorldCinema, FilmFest).

We love Discovery HD. But we would not subscribe just for one channel.

I am going to stay with VOOM, hopefully for a long time.
If they do go down, I am going to switch back to Adelphia cable, at least until another satellite company emerges as a definite HD leader. Reasons to go with cable for me:

1. Rental HD DVR (no need to buy)
2. HDNet + InHD
3. HD PPV
4. No contracts

I'll blow my brains out hoping all of the other naysayers here follow suit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts