Where'd my VOD go? (HR24)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

BigStig

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
I'm a brand-new D* subscriber. I've had E* for years but recently moved and decided that it was time to give D* a shot. The installer came last week and hooked everything up. I'm new to D* and their equipment, but it's an HR24-100, 5LNB, DECA install and I subscribe to the 'Premier' package. When he left, everything was working; all the channels, VOD premium banners, DirecTV Cinema, etc. Fantastic.

Got all my timers set up, recording shows, things looking good.

Then last night I got home to find that all of the VOD banners (like at the start of the premium channels; 500's) were gone. Accessing DirecTV Cinema pops up a message that the "Service is Unavailable". If I hop onto DirecTV.com and try to schedule VOD programs, I get an email from D* saying the recording is confirmed, but the HR24 doesn't download it, though it does have a message in the "History" area that matches the request time that says something like "recording failed - unspecified error". I'm not in front of the menu so I don't have the precise wording - sorry. If I select a 1000+ VOD channel manually, it pops up with a message that, "{channel name} is unavailable". I'm also not seeing any VOD results when I do a search, and I know it was showing me those a few days ago.

Looking at the History and comparing to the handful of online VOD-recording requests I've sent, it looks like it stopped working after a software update early in the morning of 8/17. I don't have the new version handy, sorry.

My internet connection seems fine. I've tested with multiple devices, no problems. 20-30ms pings, 12/1 service, solid connectivity. Even from the HR24 - it tests successfully when I go through the network setup. It gives me the "congratulations, you're set up" screen, the IP & DNS settings are all correct, and I can see & control the HR24 on my home network via the D* iPad app. I've rebooted my router, cable modem, the HR24, & the DECA several times. I let it go overnight to see if it would fix itself and it did not. Still not working today. Bummer.

I haven't called D* yet but I plan to soon. In the meantime, anyone have any ideas on how I can restore the VOD stuff? Or is this something that D* customer service is going to have to do?

I think the latest software update is the culprit as it clears the guide info too. I noticed the same thing on mine. It will repopulate...

I think the latest software update is the culprit as it clears the guide info too. I noticed the same thing on mine. It will repopulate...

Thanks for the response. Good to hear that someone else is experiencing this. At least perhaps this means it's not an equipment problem on my end, but just a minor SNAFU from the update.

I'll probably still give them a call, if only to remind them that they seem to have broken VOD...

I wonder if a refresh of your service using the website would help?

How do I do that? I mean, where on D*'s website do I do that? Account Overview? I don't see anything that looks like a "refresh service" button...

Nevermind... the great Google provides, as usual. I found it. Support->Tools_>Reauthorize. Will send a reauthorize and see what happens. Thanks!!

Last edited:
Back home...

Reauthorizing the receiver didn't help.

The software that was loaded on Wednesday morning is 0x4d1.

I called D*. We went through a few troubleshooting steps. Confirmed that the receiver does have internet access but that VOD just isn't working. The Tech was stumped. He escalated it up the chain but didn't have a solution or timeframe for when my VOD would be back. Pleasant enough guy, just has no information on what the problem is or when it will be fixed.

So, no VOD for me. :-(

If anyone is experiencing this, let D* know.

Patience!!! :)

When mine disappeared because of that same update, it took an overnight to repopulate and until it did, it didn't show anything there.

When mine disappeared because of that same update, it took an overnight to repopulate and until it did, it didn't show anything there.

I'll be patient about it. That was the tech's advice too. If it takes a day or two it's not a big deal. I'm just concerned because I know it wasn't working yesterday, and it's still not working today.

As of 5pm tonight, they're back. :) Patience is indeed a virtue.

When I see a software update goes through, I go into the settings and recheck the internet connection. That usually fixes it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)