Where's the NEW HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Where's all the new HD channels ?
:river

If I was dissatisfied with my DIRECTV service I'd cancel service and move on to another provider. Just me I guess.

If I was dissatisfied with my DIRECTV service I'd cancel service and move on to another provider.
oh I agree. But there are situations where D* is really the only option between the two sat co's....especially if D* carries your RSN and E* doesn't

i am switching a tthe end of this month and do wish TCM HD & AMC HD would be added soon. .

Those are the only two on the list that I want.

Big thing for me is the HD quality. The HD picture is just so much better from DirecTV than from Dish. I'll take quality over quantity, especially when the quantity difference is rather small while the quality difference is large. I know some people contest this, but to my eyes there is a big difference.

there is just so few "must haves" and I would rather have a quality better run company for the long haul than having to be like a child and being the biggest, having the most, etc just to brag..

Kind of wish DYI was in HD, saw a eposiode of "Man Cave" last night where they built a really cool NFL style man cave

Kind of wish DYI was in HD, saw a eposiode of "Man Cave" last night where they built a really cool NFL style man cave

I'd like to see DIY in hd also, but they likely stretch the non hd content like they do on HGTV, both being owned by Scripts.

DirecTV offers exactly 20 HD channels (Non RSN, Non PPV) I don't get on cable, a few of those being spanish and West Coast feeds.

BET HD
Lifetime HD
WGN America HD
NFL Network HD
NFL Redzone HD
HDNet
HDNet Movies
Mega TV HD
Sony Movie Channel HD
Fuel HD
Fox Soccer Channel HD
Gol HD
Telefutura HD
Univision HD
Starz Cinema HD
Starz In Black HD
HBO West HD
Cinemax West HD
Showtime West HD
Starz West HD

They lack the following channels I get:

AMC HD
BBC America HD
The Cooking Channel HD
DIY HD
E! HD
Fox Soccer Plus HD
ESPN GoalLine HD
EWTN HD
Fuse HD
G4 HD
History International HD
HLN HD
The Hub HD
Investigation Discovery HD
Lifetime Movie Network HD
National Geographic Wild HD
Outdoor Channel HD
QVC HD
RFD TV HD
Style HD
Turner Classic Movies HD
WE HD
HBO Signature
HBO Family
HBO Comedy
HBO Latino HD
Moremax HD
Actionmax HD
Thrillermax HD
Outermax HD
5Starmax HD
Wmax HS
@max HD

Mav HD has been announced to be carried in my area and TW has contracts in place for many other HD channels that will make their way to my area including Sundance HD, OWN HD, TV Guide Channel HD, Reelz HD, Sportsman Channel HD, GMC HD, Ovation HD, Tru TV HD, Game Show Network HD, all three C-SPANSs in HD and a few others. All those channels and many more are live on Time Warner Cable in NYC, which has the hands down most robust line up of any provider in the country.

All in all I get an exact 120 HD channels including my locals and three RSNs from TW. That count DOES NOT include On Demand programming. I have all ABC, NBC and CBS Primetime programming On Demand in HD. Showtime On Demand HD was launched last month and HBO On Demand HD and Cinemax On Demand HD gets launched on Febuary 1st. I've been enjoying sought after channels that DirecTV added not too long ago like Travel Channel HD for three years now, and I've had ESPN U HD since a month after it launched.

My wish list would be the following:

DYI
E!
HLN
The Hub (I think family game night in HD would be much more enjoyable to watch with the family) kind of brutal to see it in SD
BBC America

I am a believer that you may watch some programming on channels you may have not have if they were in HD, for me it would be Planet Green, I am not some green, enviroment person, but I like the show "conviction kitchen" prob would not watch if it was in SD

The only ones that bother me are the HBO channels. I mean we're paying $15.99 and only a few of them are in HD. Most providers offer all or most of the HBO channels in HD.

Those are the only two on the list that I want.

Big thing for me is the HD quality. The HD picture is just so much better from DirecTV than from Dish. I'll take quality over quantity, especially when the quantity difference is rather small while the quality difference is large. I know some people contest this, but to my eyes there is a big difference.

TCM wouldn't be HD. sort of, nor AMC. But the widescreen verions of movies would be so much better to watch!

Jeff

I have read this in the past so maybe its what CBAND is saying:

programming is not in native high definition and is up-converted from standard definition, but benefits from the bandwidth on the "HD" channel. Programs on the high definition feed are broadcast in up-converted 1080i

TCM wouldn't be HD. sort of, nor AMC.
While there is a perplexing mix of DVD quality and HD quality, I have seen true HD movies on both TCM-HD and AMC-HD in the past.

AMC seems averse to doing their own HD captures so the chances of seeing older movies in true HD seems limited. What is available on Blu-ray usually comes through in true HD.

filmed in HD; what is that?

It is filmed with Arriflex 416 Panavision Cameras and Lenses with 16 mm Kodak Vision3; in Super16 cinematographic process and printed on 35mm in an OAR of 1.78:1

Well that film stock should have a higher effective resolution than 1920x1080. Like harshness said, it all depends on the transfer - but I can't imagine The Walking Dead, being so recent, didn't get a nice transfer.

and TCM is slowly but surely going to go through their library and update the transfers for HD. now the quality can only be as good as the original film source, but film in and of itself isn't sd or hd, but can be a great quality on an HD channel if the film wasn't too damaged.

Are we not going to be getting any new channels? Was the new sat a waste...IMO yes...as I've seen no use of it yet

I'm bumping this for perspective.

A year ago, this thread was created and it would be interesting as well if people gave feedback on DirecTV's HD adds from 2011.

There was just one non-premium: AMC HD. The rest were premium movies. Extra screens of HBO and Cinemax.

Status
Please reply by conversation.