Which Az?

Swamp_Rat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
South Florida
I have read untill I'm blue in the face and can't decide which box (between the Premium, Premium Plus and the Elite) to buy. I don't see all that much difference with the exception of Wifi which I'm not all that concerned about. They all have blindscan and do s-2, 4:0:0, and 4:2:0.
What direction should I go?
Also who has the best deals? There is a place (somewhat) near us on Ebay and they say local pickup is available in Miami but don't want to drive an hour to find no one home.

Well, the hardware blind scan is important to me, and that leaves it down to the Ultra and the Premium Plus.

I believe there's two place in Miami on EvilBay that sell them....

yeah but those 2 have issues with playing some high bitrate feeds whereas the Elite & premium do not

me...my Elite works great. I use a Coolsat 5000 to blind scan then plug in the 4:2:2/HD feeds into the azbox :)

Hope this isn't too tangential, but I've been looking to upgrade my receiver and the az boxes are tempting me, and I've been trying to figure out - how important is blind scan, really?

It seems like it should be a simple enough matter to get a list of TPs for each satellite, and if you enter them in, it seems an auto scan would be good enough. And if you've got a network connection, you can install the azbox gogo list, which is a list of operational transponders per bird, as far as I can tell.

So if this all works well, how much is the azbox missing blind scan really an issue? Is there something I'm missing here? How well/fast do the azboxes scan a dish when it's given all of the transponders to check? Is there a difference between the models?

Ice,

Any reason you are using the Coolsat for the scan? Doesn't the Elite do the same?

the elite has a basterdized blind scan. It only scans one symbol rate that you input and the blind scan really sucks. The only time it worked decent was during cfb season when a couple common symbol rates were used. Otherwise in my opinion its useless

Blind scanning is useful to find wildfeeds and lock active transponders that are not always the same. For example xyz company wants to send a live broadcast of a sports game or concert and rents some time on a satellite the transponder frequency won't be "known" to us until it is active and found via a blind scan.

the GO Go list thing doesn't work or rather isn't updated for US satellites. I think they might keep it updated in Europe.

The blind scan on the Ultra and Premium Plus is hardware based but slow, and it can find s2 feeds. It takes about 20-23 mins to scan a satellite. I use a Fortec Dynamic to look for DVB-S it can scan in about 5-7 mins, but can't find s2 feeds obviously.

Hope this isn't too tangential, but I've been looking to upgrade my receiver and the az boxes are tempting me, and I've been trying to figure out - how important is blind scan, really?

It seems like it should be a simple enough matter to get a list of TPs for each satellite, and if you enter them in, it seems an auto scan would be good enough. And if you've got a network connection, you can install the azbox gogo list, which is a list of operational transponders per bird, as far as I can tell.

So if this all works well, how much is the azbox missing blind scan really an issue? Is there something I'm missing here? How well/fast do the azboxes scan a dish when it's given all of the transponders to check? Is there a difference between the models?

So the blind scan is not like the Pansat 9200? It is not just run blind scan and forget about it until it is done? Are all the Azboxes like this or do some have a full blind scan?

The Premium + and the ultra have hardware blind scan and would work like the 9200 does
The elite & premium have software blind scan which is pretty useless

Thanks guys, that clears it up. It will eliminate the Elite and the Premium. I don't have the time I used to to spend with this stuff.
A simple reasonably fast blind scan is probably the most important part of the receiver to me.
Also do any of them have terrestrial tuners like the 9200?

Last edited:
No one for now If fix the miner problems on the plus like play and secane same s2 feeds and the usb to load the channel list like most receivers do. And for me tape feeds or programs are not importante but did have problems to .My advise dont buy azbox for now.terrestrial tuner yes but extra cust about $70 to $90 us dol.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)