Which Direct receiver???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GSH

Original poster
Apr 5, 2006
Pine Mountain Lake, CA
If I sign up for Direct TV, which receiver should I request. I need an HDMI connection. From the posts it appears that the H20 is their state of the art receiver. I assume that it can be provided with a Direct package?

Yes and welcome again. Call or email Robert at ValueElectronics.com (a board sponsor here) and mention that you are a member of SatGuys. He will do you right and explain everything in detail based on your specific needs.

GSH said:
If I sign up for Direct TV, which receiver should I request. I need an HDMI connection. From the posts it appears that the H20 is their state of the art receiver. I assume that it can be provided with a Direct package?
The H20 is the only HD receiver available from D* right now. There are 2 versions of the H20. The H20-600 is made by LG and mfg'd in Korea and China. The H20-100 is made by RCA in Mexico. Many H20-600s suffer from several problems including a slow guide, random reboots, caller ID problems and overheating. None of these problems exist in the H20-100, which is entirely different inside. However for the most part, the menus are the same. If you talk to Robert, ask him if it's possible to get an H20-100 instead of the -600.

fleetmack said:
i have had a samsung sir-ts360 for about 2 years that i had to pay $330 for, is that mpeg4 as well or is directv going to make me buy YET ANOTHER receiver?!
If you talk nice to them or threaten to switch to cable or dish, they'll upgrade your receiver and dish for very little cost to you and possibly nothing.

mjones1973 said:
The H20 is the only MPEG4 capable receiver.

If I use a "vacation address" with a H20 and a 5 LNB will I still be able to get locals in HD (even though I'm out of market) like I do now with a 3 LNB. Or doesn't it matter since I'm well within the signal range currently?

charper1 said:
as long as you are in the spot beam, you can.

So if I have this correct I can go to Value Electronics and get a HD20 and then contact Direct (?) for a 5LNB. Then I should be ready to roll in my new HDTV.

If I missed anything let me know.

If you call to order a AT9 5LNB dish, they will setup an appointment to install it at your service address, wherever that is. If your service address is a virtual "move" address (to get out of market stations), you'll need to get a new dish some other way, like on eBay or ValueElectronics. Then install it yourself or find a local installer willing to install it for you.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)