Which DTV HD Receivers also support analog OTA/Cable channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

onyx00

Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
I am specifically trying to find DTV Receivers that allow you to plug in analog OTA or cable and then maps these channels right in to the guide. I don't want something where you can "flip" between DTV and the analog input.

I know the Samsung TS360 does this; any others? Possibly something newer?

Thanks! :)

Sammy TS160 &360, Toshiba DST3000&3100, RCA DTC100 and DTC210, Hughes E-86, HTL-HD, Sony SA-HD100, 200, 300, Zenith 1080 and 520, Mits SR-HD5, Panasonic TU-HDS20.
Basically all of them until they were DirecTV branded.

The only ones newer are DST3100 and DTC210

Last edited:
projectorsrule said:
Sammy TS160 &360, Toshiba DST3000&3100, RCA DTC100 and DTC210, Hughes E-86, HTL-HD, Sony SA-HD100, 200, 300, Zenith 1080 and 520, Mits SR-HD5, Panasonic TU-HDS20.
Basically all of them until they were DirecTV branded.

The only ones newer are DST3100 and DTC210

I used to have the RCA DTC100 and it does not do what onyx00 is asking. The channels that came in over the antenna were in a separate guide from the DirecTV channels. You had to "flip" between them. I'm not sure if RCA changed that with the DTC210. I can say that I'll never buy RCA again (long story) and my mission is to encourage others to avoid them.

-JustBob

YES, let me clarify:

I want a receiver that does not require you to "change inputs" between the analog and DTV channels. ALL CHANNELS (BOTH ANALOG VIA OTA/CABLE) SHOULD BE LISTED IN THE DIRECTV GUIDE

The Samsung SIR-TS360 does this exactly! But I wanted to know which other receivers do the same...if any.

Forgot about that, it's been a long time since I had my DTC-100, but the list is otherwise accurate.

If you want a newer box that does it get a toshiba DST3100, it has ATSC, NTSC, and QAM.

onyx00 said:
YES, let me clarify:

I want a receiver that does not require you to "change inputs" between the analog and DTV channels. ALL CHANNELS (BOTH ANALOG VIA OTA/CABLE) SHOULD BE LISTED IN THE DIRECTV GUIDE

The Samsung SIR-TS360 does this exactly! But I wanted to know which other receivers do the same...if any.

The HTL-HD will put them all on the same menu. Only one menu for all satellite and OTA (Analog & digital) stations.

Here is what the guide looks like with a HTL-HD.
HTL-HD.jpg

In the above picture, how does it know the programs that are on for the Analog channels? This puzzles me.

onyx00 said:
In the above picture, how does it know the programs that are on for the Analog channels? This puzzles me.

An HTL receiver has an ntsc receiver in it, yes?

In the picture it knows because he subscribes to SD locals from Direc which includes the programming info.

With ATSC tuner (digital) there is program info sent in the data stream. Some receivers have to tune to the digital channel for a few seconds to get the programming info for the next 8 hours and some do it in the background.

onyx00 said:

The one that says "OR2" is the D* analog feed (via Satellite) of Channel 2 - Orlando, the feed underneath it "WESH 2", is the OTA analog feed of the same thing.The third one "WESHHD 2-1" is the HD feed of the same station, via OTA antenna. The last feed, "WESHHD 2-2", is the NBC Weather Plus feed.

It is easy to tell the analog feeds because everyone from D* will have initials of the viewing area in front of it. Example this station is OR2, referring to Orlando Channel 2. The OTA analog feed of the same station will have just the entire letter, "WESH 2".

Hope this helps explain it.

projectorsrule said:
In the picture it knows because he subscribes to SD locals from Direc which includes the programming info.

With ATSC tuner (digital) there is program info sent in the data stream. Some receivers have to tune to the digital channel for a few seconds to get the programming info for the next 8 hours and some do it in the background.

Right, if I didn't subscribe to D* locals you would not see "OR2" on the program guide, just WESH 2, WESHHD 2-1 and WESHHD 2-2.

I am not sure on how this receiver does get its Guide Data.

Just an update.

So I bought a Samsung SIR-TS360. Problem was, going from DTV channels to analog cable in channels, I lost sound on the analog cable in channels. To re-gain sound you could simply hit the yellow "Audio" button and then hit select, and sound comes back.

So I went out and got a Hughes HTL-HD. Even worse problems! I get a constant message of "Network Reconfiguration" on the screen. Pops up for 45 seconds, pictures comes back, and then the same message comes up again in 15 seconds. This makes the unit pretty much useless. I checked SW version; 1.06, so DTV told me to leave it on for 24 hours to see if it will update to 2.0.1. Nothing yet; still same problem. Mind you this isn't the "Searching for signal" error message, something completely different. DTV had no idea what was going on.

Looks like I may never be able to find a good receiver with OTA and cable-in capability...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Problem w/5 LNB dish and local HD reception

Low Signal

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts