Which external drive for 622?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dadams0618

Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
I attempted to add an external hard drive to my 622 and got an error message saying it is incompatible. The unit I tried is a 320G Western Digital Passport portable hard drive. It is powered by the USB port and does not have a separate power cord. Are there specs available for what I should buy for my next try? Thanks for any help.

I attempted to add an external hard drive to my 622 and got an error message saying it is incompatible. The unit I tried is a 320G Western Digital Passport portable hard drive. It is powered by the USB port and does not have a separate power cord. Are there specs available for what I should buy for my next try? Thanks for any help.
Passport type HD's will not work. You need a self powered drive, like a WD MyBook. Stay away from Seagate Free Agents, they have a long running "sleep mode" problem with the receivers. My personal recommendation would to get a WD AAKS series hard drive and an aluminum external enclosure. Check Eaglebit or Newegg for the drive and the Conus W Series enclosure. I lean this way because most of the name brand pre-builts are plastic with iffy if any power switches and lower end drives. Reports have indicated that those drives have some longevity issues.

I bought a Thermaltake BlacX 2.5/3.5 SATA HDD USB Docking Station. I just have to buy standard SATA drives to plug into it for an unlimited amount of storage at a very economical price Dock is about $30, 500GB SATA HD are about $90 each.

I bought a Thermaltake BlacX 2.5/3.5 SATA HDD USB Docking Station. I just have to buy standard SATA drives to plug into it for an unlimited amount of storage at a very economical price Dock is about $30, 500GB SATA HD are about $90 each.

I am using the same.

You just have to be more careful handling the drives, since they are not in cases.

I just bought an Eagle Consus M series exclosure for a WD AAKS drive and the 722 doesn't recognize the drive. I had an apricorn exclosure for my Scientific Atlanta DVR when I had cable - but the 722 can't format the drive becuase the exclosure always shuts down.

ANy idea why the 722 won't recognize the M series Consus exclosures?

I just bought an Eagle Consus M series exclosure for a WD AAKS drive and the 722 doesn't recognize the drive. I had an apricorn exclosure for my Scientific Atlanta DVR when I had cable - but the 722 can't format the drive becuase the exclosure always shuts down.

ANy idea why the 722 won't recognize the M series Consus exclosures?

Well, I've never tried an M series, but have used the W & N Series.

First, I'd suggest you try the drive on a PC and see if it works there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)