Which external drive for 622?

dadams0618

Original poster
Apr 30, 2008
I attempted to add an external hard drive to my 622 and got an error message saying it is incompatible. The unit I tried is a 320G Western Digital Passport portable hard drive. It is powered by the USB port and does not have a separate power cord. Are there specs available for what I should buy for my next try? Thanks for any help.

I attempted to add an external hard drive to my 622 and got an error message saying it is incompatible. The unit I tried is a 320G Western Digital Passport portable hard drive. It is powered by the USB port and does not have a separate power cord. Are there specs available for what I should buy for my next try? Thanks for any help.
Passport type HD's will not work. You need a self powered drive, like a WD MyBook. Stay away from Seagate Free Agents, they have a long running "sleep mode" problem with the receivers. My personal recommendation would to get a WD AAKS series hard drive and an aluminum external enclosure. Check Eaglebit or Newegg for the drive and the Conus W Series enclosure. I lean this way because most of the name brand pre-builts are plastic with iffy if any power switches and lower end drives. Reports have indicated that those drives have some longevity issues.

I bought a Thermaltake BlacX 2.5/3.5 SATA HDD USB Docking Station. I just have to buy standard SATA drives to plug into it for an unlimited amount of storage at a very economical price Dock is about $30, 500GB SATA HD are about $90 each.

I bought a Thermaltake BlacX 2.5/3.5 SATA HDD USB Docking Station. I just have to buy standard SATA drives to plug into it for an unlimited amount of storage at a very economical price Dock is about $30, 500GB SATA HD are about $90 each.

I am using the same.

You just have to be more careful handling the drives, since they are not in cases.

I just bought an Eagle Consus M series exclosure for a WD AAKS drive and the 722 doesn't recognize the drive. I had an apricorn exclosure for my Scientific Atlanta DVR when I had cable - but the 722 can't format the drive becuase the exclosure always shuts down.

ANy idea why the 722 won't recognize the M series Consus exclosures?

I just bought an Eagle Consus M series exclosure for a WD AAKS drive and the 722 doesn't recognize the drive. I had an apricorn exclosure for my Scientific Atlanta DVR when I had cable - but the 722 can't format the drive becuase the exclosure always shuts down.

ANy idea why the 722 won't recognize the M series Consus exclosures?

Well, I've never tried an M series, but have used the W & N Series.

First, I'd suggest you try the drive on a PC and see if it works there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts