Which is better for 5.1

All 5 of the same model bookshelf speakers or 4 of the same model and a center channel speaker?
80% of your audio in a 5.1 system goes thru the center channel speaker. So, that is where you should spend your money on a good one. You did not mention a subwoofer. If you have no sub you can't have a 5.1 system. Bookshelf speakers are usually only good for the surround in a 5.1 system and the surround back channels in a 7 .1 system. You can get a pretty good new 5.1 speaker system for $400-$500 plus $200-$300 for an HDMI A/V receiver. Of course, the sky is the limit if you want to go high end. Hope this helped.

You might also want to look into getting a free catalog from Crutchfield. They do a great job in explaining all kinds of audio/visual setups. You might also want to explore getting a sound bar system if funds are limited.

IMHO, 5 of the same speaker will work fine. And, 4 speakers with a purpose built center channel would be even better. But, of course, either way, a subwoofer is mandatory. As for sound bars....:down . You can get a supurb 5.1 system for the same or less than a decent ( if there actually is any such thing ) sound bar by going here...Onkyo HT-S3300 5.1-Channel Home Theater Package | Accessories4less . This sytem can do things that most sound bars can't come close to doing, including TRUE surround sound. . :up

When I upgraded my system to Klipsch, I was astounded at how much better everything sounded, with a high grade center speaker. I have a 7.1. I'd say center is most important, then sub, then the two fronts (which would not be bookshelf if at all possible). Other 4 are smaller hang on the wall types. You certainly do not want front and side/rear the same speakers, unless you plan to one day upgrade the fronts to better speakers, and use what you've got in a 7.1 system.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts