Which is More Consumer Friendly: HD DVD or Blu-ray?

Please note that this is not an HDTV Magazine opinion, but my personal recommendation. Just a week or so ago, Dale published an article in which he preferred Blu-ray.

I guess the point is that HDTV magazine has decided to support a format that has only one mainstream brand Toshiba and cheap no name chinese players. This is the biggest weakness of HD-DVD. Studio support is a numbers game, but hardware possiblities is a different one.

What company is going to compete with Toshiba when there is 0 margin? One can argue back and forth about the pluses and minuses of various BD players, including if they have features that the Toshiba has. But, at least you have choices to argue about.

If HD-DVD wins the war is Toshiba going to raise prices? Toshiba is turning into HD-DVD's biggest problem.

+1

Speaking purely hypothetically ... If HD DVD "wins", you immediately have two more main-stream manufacturers that could churn out an HD DVD player in short order: LG and Samsung.

I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them had a dedicated HD DVD player at CES (complete conjecture on my part, but it would not be surprising to me).

- Shane Sturgeon

Dale founded HDTV Magazine.

But be sure to read both his and Sturgeon's comments about the war. Much more balanced opinions then you will normally see in this Forum.

Ditto. I read their commentaries often. Their site isn't bad. They rehash news stories found elsewhere, but which site doesn't? Not everyone reads nearly every site like I do. (sigh) :eek:

What company is going to compete with Toshiba when there is 0 margin?
How do you know there is zero margin? Isn't it just as likely that BD players currently represent a 1000% profit margin, which is why several manufactures are jumping on the bandwagon to grab those superhigh profits while the gettin's good?

It's like comparing a Monster Cable to one bought at Monoprice.com. Just because the Monster costs 10 to 20 times more does not prove it's one bit better, nor does it prove that Monoprice operates at a zero margin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts