Which new receiver with specific features?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Back to topic on receivers, has anyone tried this one (available though Ebay):
"GTMEDIA GTS Satellite Television Receiver Android6.0 Satellite Television"
Claims to do 4k video / H265, basic looking package with a bit of CPU/GPU etc.

GTMedia is Freesat's new name. I read up on that receiver. Seems like a decent receiver and not a bad price if it does UHD well. Has a generous amount of RAM. I noticed it didn't mention TOS capabilities, but that may be a given since FreeSat is known for that. :D

Reactions: Cham
Maybe I'm out out of date... What does TOS stand for in this case? (I was thinking of Terms of Sevice but that doesn't make sense! :))

Ok. Now I know. Certainly not interested in that aspect of the receiver. We have Shaw so we already have hundreds of channels with nothing on.
Would be good to know if it does all the diseqc 1.x, 2.x, USALS, and switching, at least up to date. Not finding that in the specs so far.

Reactions: wvman
As a Trekkie "TOS" means The Original Series :) :thumbup

The BEST of all the series!

I can re-watch those over and over and not get tired of them. I truly can't say that for any of the other ST series... I can't even watch TNG at all any more, as it seems even more dated than TOS. Which is really odd, but that's what I feel.

Ok. Now I know. Certainly not interested in that aspect of the receiver. We have Shaw so we already have hundreds of channels with nothing on.
Would be good to know if it does all the diseqc 1.x, 2.x, USALS, and switching, at least up to date. Not finding that in the specs so far.

Have you tried contacting the seller for more information. :) "We have Shaw so we already have hundreds of channels with nothing on." When we were installing both Dish and DirecTV, I used to get a kick out of some customers when they used to tell me that HBO or some other channel was better on Dish than it was on DirecTV. I had to prove to them that no matter what provider you had, the channels were exactly the same no matter who was delivering them.

I've got well over 150 channels and there are days when you still can't find anything to watch. Of course, I enjoy them more because thanks to FTA, I don't have a monthly bill. I just wish they'd git rid of half the $&(#&$&(#(_## commercials that run every 10 minutes. I hate it even more when they try to take a John Wayne movie and remake it. You just can't improve on perfection. :)

It adds insult to injury watching a nice movie on one of the movie channels and it seems every 8 minutes or so there is a 5 minute commercial. 90 minute movie is 3 hours long, and we pay for a sub to the $@#$#!@ channel. I think that's called robbery... or worse. Not nearly as painful watching FTA, at least you only pay once when you purchase what ever hardware is required to receive the signal.

And wvman yes I did contact the seller, nothing back from them yet, that was a week or so ago. Makes me wonder...

It adds insult to injury watching a nice movie on one of the movie channels and it seems every 8 minutes or so there is a 5 minute commercial. 90 minute movie is 3 hours long, and we pay for a sub to the $@#$#!@ channel. I think that's called robbery... or worse. Not nearly as painful watching FTA, at least you only pay once when you purchase what ever hardware is required to receive the signal.

And wvman yes I did contact the seller, nothing back from them yet, that was a week or so ago. Makes me wonder...

Kinda strange it's taken that long for a reply. I've bought several receivers from different manufacturers and there doesn't seem to be a one size fits all solution. Right now, there seems to be an abundance of receivers, but few of them seem to do everything, and what you pay doesn't seem to guarantee all the features will be there. When I look for a receiver, I generally look for one that that does QPSK,8PSK,16APSK,32APSK demodulation and has all the diseqc formats.

As for the higher demodulation, 16APSK & 32APSK, I've only had one incident where they came into play and that was when an entire MUX of scrambled channels were running ITC. The USALS motor controls aren't particularly important to me since I use multiple dishes on an 8-way DiSEqC switch, but it may be at some point in the future. Like you, I get aggravated with the commercials, but at least we don't pay a sub. :D

I suspect the retailer is not really interested technical details, but selling masses of them is much more important. Maybe a manufacturer or different retailer might result in more information. Like you wvman my needs require a receiver with all the current diseqc settings as I too have a multi-dish setup through many switches etc.

I suspect the retailer is not really interested technical details, but selling masses of them is much more important. Maybe a manufacturer or different retailer might result in more information. Like you wvman my needs require a receiver with all the current diseqc settings as I too have a multi-dish setup through many switches etc.

I'm getting ready to go on a buying spree for Ku dishes. I have 3 ports open on my 8-way switch, but I might be willing to add a couple more, but first I'll have to figure out if and how to cascade an 8-way switch to add more dishes. I don't know if it's even possible. I don't want to go to a 22khz tone because from what I understand, you have to use an external power supply because the receiver's power supply isn't capable of powering all those ports at once.

If I have to, I will, but trying to avoid making it too complicated in case there's some sort of a problem that crops up. Trouble shooting can be a B*tch when several switches are involved, or at least that's what I've been told. I like simple things for a simple man. :) I have an older C/Ku LNBF up in the building. I suppose I could feed C-Band to one port on the switch and the Ku to another.

Just got one of these "GTMEDIA GTS Satellite Television Receiver Android6.0 Satellite Television" receivers just for fun...

It does have all the diseqc 1 and 1.1 switch options, as well as 22KHz, diseqc and (supposedly) USALS positioning. It just came in today so I have been playing with it for a bit this evening. So far I can't find where to enter the receiver's position for USALS. It comes with the whole Clarke Belt programmed in already along with most of the current transponders for ALL satellites, including NA. Regular scan works fairly fast with per-programmed TPs. I CAN NOT get the blind scan to work even though it is one of the options under the scan icon. I deleted one satellite to see if I could add one and add/edit TPs, and while you can add a new position (satellite), I have not been able to add TPs via the receiver. Might have to manually edit the satellite list?

I have not connected to the ethernet port so I have no info on on-line options the receiver has. I want to scan all it's ports first to make sure it isn't going to do anything I don't want it to. For me the on-line stuff is almost irrelevent since I have very limited bandwidth for playing IP streams etc, other than locally on the LAN.

The remote that comes with it is ... well... crappy. The unit will accept a USB dongle for wireless keyboard/mouse combo so that's a plus.

It plays AC3 audio through the HDMI, but I am not getting Dolby sound out to my audio system yet. Likely a "pass-through" setting somewhere. If I get that working I'll try AAC etc.

Scanned channels on Galaxy 13 (127W) C-band, and 125W Ku for PBS feeds. The UHD on the NASA mux plays fine. Picture color and quality are fine on my monitor.

I'll play with it for a week or so and write a review in that section. :)

Reactions: KE4EST
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)