Which of these Plasma's/LCD's is RIGHT for me?

Comppguy123

Original poster
Dec 26, 2008
US
Hey guys, so I am looking towards purchasing either a Plasma or an LCD, and know most of the differences between the two. I am leaning more towards a Plasma, so that's more of a first choice over the LCD's.

There is a sale going on right now in Circuit City, so I need your help on recommended TV's. I am looking for anything around 46"-52", from either Samsung or Panasonic. Price isn't really an issue, it just needs to be reasonable and not way out of hand.

I will be using it mainly to play video games and watch movies, and my room has good lighting and is just good all around.

Here are the choices:
46" - 52" LCD & Plasma TVs at circuitcity.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, how's this deal?: A Sony 52" BRAVIA W-Series LCD HDTV AND a Sony BDPS350 Blu-ray Disc Player for $1899.98?

Price was: $3299.98
Instant Savings: -$1400.00

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I did some work on stuff, but can't figure out if higher Mhz on LCD's is better (120 or 480), and stuff like that, so please help me and add in any info. I am leaning more towards a plasma so try and go for those choices mainly. Thanks a lot!

Whatever you get, make sure the resolution is 1920x1080 and not some weird resolution where there will be scaling.

Also, the problem with LCDs and Plasma's, compared to CRT Tube TV's, is that the blacks aren't black. So check out the contrast ratios as well.

If it is an LCD TV, try to find one that is LED backlit, instead of florescent tube.

Just glancing over the Circuit City list, I would look at Buy the Samsung 50" Series 5 Plasma HDTV and other LCD & Plasma TVs at circuitcity.com

A couple of things:

Is there ever a possibility that in the lifetime of the TV set that you will ever have cable attached to the set? Remember, "never" is an awfully long time. If you are, make sure that the TV has a QAM tuner. QAM is to digital TVs what "Cable ready" is to standard TVs. Without a QAM tuner you can NEVER get unscrambled digital cable channels without a cable box or other such decoder meaning that the TV cannot tune in to the channel using its own tuner which may take away certain features.

DO NOT let the salesman tell you "they all have it". They don't. I have purchased 7 digital sets in the last 2.5 years (home and work) and I have yet to meet a salesman who even knows what a QAM tuner does!

When you say your room has "good lighting", does that mean that there is no possibility of glare? The only downfall of plasmas in my mind is that they have a reflective glass cover over the screen which can cause glares situations in rooms with large windows or where the lamps are set just so. LCDs do not have ANY glare, though the more inexpensive ones have viewing angle issues. Most Samsungs and Pannys don't have this issue though.

If you go with an LCD, take a look at different sets. Look at the blacks on the screen. Make sure the blacks are BLACK, not gray or dark blue. Only plasmas can give you "true" black, but better LCDs can approach it and are quite good.

Finally, you say you plan to play video games on the set. Alarm bells go off when games and plasmas are mentioned in the same breath. Though you really have to TRY to get a plasma to burn in any more, there is that possibility that if you are an avid gamer and leave static screens on a plasma especially at high contrasts, you may burn the image on the screen. Again, this is unlikely with the new plasmas, but it IS still possible. It is NOT possible to burn in your screen on an LCD. Again, you have to be leaving the same game running for hours a day, many days a week for this to be a possible problem, but it is a potential issue.

I personally own a Toshiba LCD and Hitachi Plasma. At work we have Visio, Samsung and LG (what's left of Zenith). All have been good sets in their own way.

Good luck!
Tony

Either a 85U or 800U Panny. The 800u has a THX mode with more accurate color, which is helpful if you arent going to have it calibrated.

+1

Best Buy had the 46"800u for $1500 this week (online only, perhaps all gone right now). The set has been discontinued, but if you can find one for around that price or a 50" for under $2000, I would highly recommend you get it. Otherwise the 85u is a very good option and you probably can find a 50" for under $1500.

Plasma by panasonic is the best,except the pioneers,but their alot more expensive. If you want the best information go to avsforum.com,there is a ton of information there.

I agree with the Plasma / LCD comparisons. I have the PANASONIC TH50PZ85U and had it calibrated. Before going with a plasma, I had to do some tech "catching up" with the HD displays as I hadn't previously bought a WS HD set. Several weeks before buying my Panny Plasma, I bought my Mom one of the Samsung 46" LCD's, I think it's the LN46A650 model. Since Mom was the "beta site" for us regarding HD WS TV, I went with the (my perception at the time) more popular LCD vs Plasma TV for her house. The viewing distance at Mom's is about 8 ft in a small room. The LCD is fine for Mom's viewing for everyday programming.

I continued doing the legwork and research before deciding on my 50" Plasma purchase a few weeks after getting the LCD for Mom. I agree with the posts here regarding the Plasma's having the better overall picture. One of the first things I noticed was what although hard to put into words, a more, to me, "realistic" reproduction of movies vs comparable LCD models.

Interestingly, several months after I had purchased the Panny Plasma, I was in my local BB store (I purchased the Panny at Circuit City..sad to see them leave the market). I was just comparing prices at BB several months after I had bought my set. A Panny Rep happend to be delivering some BR players to the store and I had an interesting conversation with the guy regarding some of the issues that had initially "scared" me away from getting a Plasma set for Mom. We discussed Plasma picture lifetimes, burn-in/retention issues, etc...all of the issues that, from talking to some friends, have steered them away from Plasmas in the past. Since the Rep worked for Panny, I knew that, well....I might need to take it in context, so to speak
smile.gif
, but he didn't have a "sales agenda" with me since I'd already bought my set at another store, and we were in a 1:1 conversation so he wasn't speaking for any other ears. He said that the issue of image retention, which is a particular interest to me as I watch a large amount of 4:3 TV/DVD material in the "pillar box" mode, is largely "urban legend" and not true concerns for Plasma sets. I asked him about the necessity of choosing the light-gray pillar bars vs the black ones per the Panny manual to reduce retention issues. He said that selecting the black bars would not cause any permenant retention issues. He stated that, if a "pillar bar" retention image occured, that the pattern would disappear after a short time of watching a WS picture source.

I do take a couple of "safeguard" actions with my Panny set in that I don't leave the picture in 4:3 mode for any length of idle time. Since my DTV HD Receiver and my DVD player both have "screen saver" modes that activate after a certain period of idle time, I'm not concerned with the overall retention issue.

I do see the light-reflective issue vs the LCD's but as you and the posters mentioned, I keep that in mind with the lighting conditions in my viewing room at home. I haven't seen the reflective issue become an issue with my viewing. My current viewing distance is about 9 1/2 - 10 ft. I would recommend to those that are looking at WS sets, if their budgets allow, get at least a min of 46" screen size wih their purchases. My previous CRT set was the Sony Wega 36" set and I found that in order to get the same picture height size in a WS set, that I needed to get a min of 46" WS size set. I was actually looking to get a 52" size but have no regrets with the Panny 50 Plasma. It delivers an outstanding picture Q with both TV/DVD's and movies. I've read where some see what they consider to be a step-down in picture Q when watching older programming on HD WS sets, TV/DVD's in my case. I haven't found that to be the case for me. To me, watching these older TV/DVD's on this Plasma set is amazing. The real thrill for me since entering the HD WS world is watching movies that I'm very familiar with the films and seeing them like never before seen in WS anamorphic upconverted HD. I'm seeing color def & details that I'd never been able to see with that 36" Sony Wega.

Something that I found interesting in the Samsung LCD that I bought for Mom is that the manual has a statement of caution regarding burn-in (LCD?) when viewing mainly 4:3 sources (in the 4:3 OAR mode). I had heard that burn-in issues were non-existant with LCD's.

Regardless, especially since I'm not a video game viewer, I'm not concerned with burn-in issues with my plasma set. I bought the in-store warranty covering any burn-in/pixtel issue.

I got a Pioneer PDP-5010FD. It has an NTSC, ATSC, and QAM tuner and a cable card slot. Nothing passes me by. All you need to add to it is a satellite box.