rad

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Dripping Springs, TX
Another member and I are having a debate about DirecTV HD channels and a statement that they made, which I say isn't accurate. What do you think is an accurate assesment about the DirecTV HD channels?

Statement 1 - A majority of their HD channels, even thought they have HD versions of such as Cartoon and Nickoloden, and you know other channels, none of those channels show any HD on them.

Statement 2 - There are 7 channels that have shown no HD content (Nick, MTV, CMT, Cartoon, VH1, Fuel, CSTV) but the rest of the channels have shown HD content and qualify as being a HD channel.

Stetement 3 - DirecTV shouldn't call a channel a HD channel if it shows little actual HD content, but it does show some HD during the week.

I'm just curious what the mind set is on this from the DirecTV HD subforum group.

I agree with statement number 2.

If a channel can and has shown HD content, I would love to hear the argument on why it wouldnt be considered an HD channel

I voted for statement 2.

Statement 3 doesn't make sense because then nobody could include ABC, CBS, NBC or FOX as HD channels since they show at most 8 hours of HD a day.

What part doesn't make sense, my question Scott's statement or Scott response?
Scotts statement, then his following response.
I too have always thought he has a E* bias. Nothing wrong with having a preference, I have seen much worse on other sites.... Plus, Scott does give out some good info, MOST of the time.:) Thats why i am a little suprised at his statement, and how off base it is, to me anyway
I think you were dead on

I selected "none" for the same reason the others did; DirecTV passes along a channel from said provider, if that provider calls it TOON-HD and shows only one HD program all week or in fact none, that is no fault of DirecTV.

I selected "none" for the same reason the others did; DirecTV passes along a channel from said provider, if that provider calls it TOON-HD and shows only one HD program all week or in fact none, that is no fault of DirecTV.
The question remains about whether it should be counted as a high definition channel. Capacity is wonderful, but content is king.

The question remains about whether it should be counted as a high definition channel. Capacity is wonderful, but content is king.

You are right, and you make my point; DirecTV and Dish to not CREATE the content, they buy it. So whatever a channel is called or whatever it shows as programming is only up to the provider, not the re-trans company.

I chose none. If the channel is capable of providing HD, then count it. Eventually, the provider will make true HD content available. Most of the upconverted material I have watched on the HD channels has been better than it's SD version.

I want D* to add any channel that the channel owners label HD.

I don't care if that channel will not have any HD programming for awhile.

I do not want D* to start having a threshold of certain amount HD programming before they add that channel.

I also choose none i agree with most. Dish or Direct does not control the content.. But if the channel is capable of Hd List it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)