Which receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scorpion210

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 3, 2004
I am looking to swtch from E* to D* but would like some input on receiver name brand. I am leaning toward Hughes but would like some feedback. Any thoughts?

Well, are you looking for SD or HD? If you're looking for HD, DirecTV directly will sell you a receiver (whatever they send you, either a HNS or Samsung is what folks report), phase III dish and install. You can add two other SD receivers (again, pot luck).

For SD, if you're looking for a DirecTivo, there all the same inside so it doesn't matter. For the other receivers I think folks have said to stay away from RCA and Phillips, but I can't answer that since all I have is Hughes and Sony, which have been fine. Hope that give you a start, sorry I couldn't help more.

I am getting SD but I have an option on which name brand as the local installer has both RCA and Hughes. He reccommended Hughes because of reliability. I wa looking for user thoughts on this.

Scorpion210 said:
I am getting SD but I have an option on which name brand as the local installer has both RCA and Hughes. He reccommended Hughes because of reliability. I wa looking for user thoughts on this.

Hughes! I've had two of three RCA receivers break. :~(

~Alan

Looks like I will go with Hughes. Dealer said he could get either but recommended Hughes. Now, does anyone have anything to say about the Executive series vs. director series?

The executive pak receivers have the following added features over the director pak units:
14 day instant guide, instead of 7 day
component video outs, optical dolby digital out
lighted remote, VCR IR control output f/use with timers (note director pak still has VCR timers)
data control port (for use w/Replay or Tivo standalone DVR's)

Other than these feature differences, one is just as good as the other & both are excellent receivers.

It was the componet connections and the lighted remote that got my attention but at $100, I am sticking the the director pack.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts