Which satellite do I use?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sky1

Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Maries, ID
I,m installing directv's slimline S5lnb (single wire). I would like to know which one of the five 101 W Directv satellites and four 119 W Directv satellite listed to program into my satellite meter. I'm in northern idaho (83861) I have looked up the dish pointing information but it does not specifically say which one of the satellites to use. Does it matter which one I program into the sat meter?
Thanks for any info.

The 5lnb setup sees 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119.

Thanks Chip, But when looking up the satellites I see a listing for 101 W directv 1R, 101W Directv 2, 101 W Directv 4S and the 119 W Directv 7S, 119 W Directv 2, 119 W Directv 5, and 119W Directv 7. Does it matter which one I chose?

You start with getting signal on 101W, then 119W and finally do vernier adjustments to maximize 99W and 103W.

If you set your elevation and tilt according to dishpointer.com and made sure your mast was plum, everything should fall into place.

Which individual satellites really doesn't much matter but once you get going, you probably want to pick the weakest one.

Thanks Chip, But when looking up the satellites I see a listing for 101 W directv 1R, 101W Directv 2, 101 W Directv 4S and the 119 W Directv 7S, 119 W Directv 2, 119 W Directv 5, and 119W Directv 7. Does it matter which one I chose?

Sorry, I missed that you were using a meter. I haven't ever used one, so I'm guessing that it doesn't matter which one you use. Anyone that has used one have some advice to offer?

making 110% sure the mast is plumb/level; just get a plain $12 heading compass and aim the dish at the magnetic azimuth and other coordinates listed and dial it in.

110 is dead (nothing on it)
119 has 2 English channels (HopeTV and Jewish Life TV) along with a smattering of the music only channels.
They install the 5 LNB if you have Spanish channels or if your market has some SD locals on 119 and there is no HD counterpart.

Sonic Tap stations on 119...BOLD ones I do not get in Choice + (but they show in the guide)

807-Rat Pack (50's music)
815-Holidays (assume its just during xmas time)
824-groove lounge
852-jazz
853-Metro Blend
855-Great Standards
861-Pump
865-Piano
870-Fiesta
873-Mexican
876-Mariachi
877-Carnival Brasil
880-Family Favorites (60's-today soft rock music)
881-Italian
882-Italian Contemporary

883-Irish
884-Tranquality

The post is a copy of one from a couple years ago so I now have Choice Xtra CLASSIC but the channel numbers stayed the same ;)

110 is dead (nothing on it)
119 has 2 English channels (HopeTV and Jewish Life TV) along with a smattering of the music only channels.
They install the 5 LNB if you have Spanish channels or if your market has some SD locals on 119 and there is no HD counterpart.

Unless policy has changed, if your SD locals are on 119, the 5lnb is required..

I guess I worded my version wrong ;)

But what if Directv carries ALL the locals in HD and 119 wouldnt be needed? Would they still do a 5 LNB setup?

Iceberg said:
I guess I worded my version wrong ;)

But what if Directv carries ALL the locals in HD and 119 wouldnt be needed? Would they still do a 5 LNB setup?

I do believe so but boy for locals :)

From what I have been told if you Locals are in HD, and you can receive HD then you don't need the 5LNB setup to receive 119. Since my locals are in HD, and I have all HD Receivers, then I don't need 119.

From what I have been told if you Locals are in HD, and you can receive HD then you don't need the 5LNB setup to receive 119. Since my locals are in HD, and I have all HD Receivers, then I don't need 119.

you are working with 2 different situations there
Your market (Bangor) is a MPEG4 only market. Directv is doing that now with new markets added. That means you can ONLY use HD receivers. All your locals are on 99 or 103 and if they are not carried in HD then they are in MPEG4 SD (since you had Dish before think Eastern Arc)
Some markets have HD locals but also have SD locals on 119. Buffalo, NY is a example. The probalem is in Buffalo the stations not carried in HD (CW, My, Independent) can ONLY be accessed via 119 so even if you have HD only receivers you would still need 119 for the SD locals.

Policy is, if you are in a market where the SD locals come from 119, the installer puts in a 5-LNB dish. In fact, in those DMAs the installer might not even carry 3-lnb dishes on the truck.

Policy is, if you are in a market where the SD locals come from 119, the installer puts in a 5-LNB dish. In fact, in those DMAs the installer might not even carry 3-lnb dishes on the truck.

even if the customer only had HD equipment and all the locals are in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)