Which Satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Broseph

Original poster
Jun 18, 2008
I live in los angeles and want to know will a three lnb pick up all the hd channels or do I need the slimline 5lnb?

To receive all the HD channels you need either the original AT-9 (Sidecar) or AU-9 (Slimline) 5 LNB dish. There's also the new SWMSlimline which includes a buit in SWM8 switch in the LNB assembly. Either way, your old phase III dish won't cut it anymore.

what channels are not able to be received?
Right now you will get just a few HD channels using the 3-lnb dish. By the end of the year, you will receive NONE. They are all moving to one of the satellites that the 3-lnb dish can't see.

Right now you will get just a few HD channels using the 3-lnb dish. By the end of the year, you will receive NONE. They are all moving to one of the satellites that the 3-lnb dish can't see.

Has this been announced by DirecTV yet? This would mean that all MPEG2 HD receivers would have to be swapped out in the next 6 1/3 months. I can see them mirroring the old MPEG2 HD on D11 but still leaving the old channels where they are for awhile yet.

Has this been announced by DirecTV yet? This would mean that all MPEG2 HD receivers would have to be swapped out in the next 6 1/3 months. I can see them mirroring the old MPEG2 HD on D11 but still leaving the old channels where they are for awhile yet.

Yes, I'm jumping the gun a little. What I should have said is that they will all be on MPEG-4 from DirecTV11 sometime before the end of the year, but I bet they are gone from MPEG-2 on 110/119 by mid 2009. Certainly no-one should be investing any time and money in a 3-lnb dish if they want HD.

Last edited:
what channels are not able to be received?
Locals, and any of the dozens of HD channels added in the last 10 months.

What you might get is ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, TNT HD, Universal HD and Discovery HD (you may have to pay an extra $5 to get Universal HD). If you subscribe to HBO or SHO, you'll probably get the East coast feed(s) of the main channel.

Using a Phase III is effectively not an option.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)