Which SATs?? Gotta Have??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
As i mentioned in a previous post, I am surveying my property for the best location for my 10' BUD (motirized with C & Ku LNBs). I have now refined the search to one corner of my side yard. That still leaves me with a fair size area (lot is 1 acre). I still have the problem of one tall tree on my property and two on the property across the street.
After laying out a representative Satellite bearings on a paper with there true bearings (on redial lines) and by moving this around a scaled plot of my side yard area, I can see that in most locations, the tree "shadow(s)" will block about half doz. Sat.s. Since this dish mount will be kinda permenent, want to find the "sweet spot" for the Sat.s that are most important (to me).

I have been doing some research on LyngSat which gives me some idea of network/program types on various Sat.s that I can 'see'. I'm still a bit unsure of what I should classify as "Gotta Have".

I'm not a sports buff and more into the History, Discovery, PBS and General tech and knowledge stuff. For news, I generally just search out the Network affiliated station in the time zones that "work for me". Same with comody/sitcoms. (Sure I nice to watch Jay Leno 3 hrs earlier than the local stations.) I can still get local news from my current DN subscription or off the air when I tell them where to GO!

So my FTA channel quest is mostly general interest and hobby.

Please tell me what Sat.s you-all think I should put on the "Gotta Have list) before I set my post in concete.

Steve

it will depend on the channels you want. If you want history, discovery, etc, those are pay channels. take a look at the programming providers for C-band (nps, skyvision etc) and look at the packages they sell.
from a 4dtv POV, important sats would be C4, G1, C3, W5
then you have NET on T4 (PBS)
if you want spike, cartoon, usa, etc, then you are looking at G3
this chart will give you an idea of what's where
NPS - Your One Call Solution
that's at least a start for the C-band side
HTH
paul...
NPS - Your One Call Solution

I have a tree covered lot where my teepee sits. If I were to put my bud on the ground anywhere, I'd see maybe 1 satellite.

My best place is on one end of my roof. I went up through the eaves and five feet over the roof. I have a view of the whole arc.

Oh, and try 101 Ku and 125 C for some of the channels you mentioned.

I can 'see' 101 Ku and 125 C. and already had 125 circled since it had PBS and 101 has several oither channels programs I like. Not sure if any of them are scrambled.

In replay to dunnsept, I am looking for FTA stuff and assume most of the C band is. I think I uinderstand what the Sat designation mean but unsure of W5 or T4. (I will eventually have a revelation:eureka).
Thanks,
Steve

yea.. sorry, I'm getting mixed up on if it's FTA or "pay" Cband or FTA Ku band.
whether most of C band is pay or FTA, I dont know.. seems like most of both are pay services.. but also seems like most of the "gotta have it" channels are on Ku

yea.. sorry, I'm getting mixed up on if it's FTA or "pay" Cband or FTA Ku band.
whether most of C band is pay or FTA, I dont know.. seems like most of both are pay services.. but also seems like most of the "gotta have it" channels are on Ku

'-- learn something new everday' I spent some time yesterday, browsing the NPS site . I now know where to look up satellite W4, T4, GB, etc. and have learning that not all C-Band is free!! Please tell, is analog= C band?? (not too clear in that)

I presently have a ViewSat 7000 and wonder it I will be able to use it with any of the NPS subscription services?? Most of the discussions were dated around 2001 and referred to some older type STB and "side-car" something 9xx something else.

Also, thanks for the several "gotta have" Sat recomendations from several people. I have circled them on my list. (looks good so far).

If the weather clears this weekend, I have my post-hole digger mounted on the tractor and digital level 'at the ready'. If all goes well, I should mount the dish sometime next week (allowing time for the cement to cure)..

Steve

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)