Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mister B

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jun 3, 2008
El Paso County Texas
I am curious which spot beams are my El Paso locals and which are neighboring DMA's? I have "googled around" and tried our forum search feature but only once came across some information my computer could not open. If any members know this data it would be appreciated. These are my spotbeam readings:
100 on 99(s) transponders 1,3,17 and 18 (probably El Paso)
low 20's on 99(s) transponders 16,20,21,22 (Tucson maybe)
51 on 103(s) transponder 2 (Midland/Odessa?)
low 80's on 103(s) transponders 16 through 20 (Albuquerque?)​

El Paso locals are on 99s 17 and 18. Tucson is 103s 17 and 18. Odessa is 99s 21 and 22. Albuqurque is 99s 1 and 3.

Reactions: Jimbo and harshness
Try IAMANEDGECUTTER / Directv Resources Forum Sticky threads

Doctor j

Thanks "satellite guys". I was able to open the above spreadsheet even though I have an Apple computer. The only reasonably close spot beams I was able to find for 103(s) transponders 16,19 and 20 were for Houston but even that is 750 miles from here. I had to laugh, my relatives called with concern during last summer's hurricane in east Texas and I told them "just because it is in Texas doesn't mean it is anywhere near me".

Thanks "satellite guys". I was able to open the above spreadsheet even though I have an Apple computer. The only reasonably close spot beams I was able to find for 103(s) transponders 16,19 and 20 were for Houston but even that is 750 miles from here. I had to laugh, my relatives called with concern during last summer's hurricane in east Texas and I told them "just because it is in Texas doesn't mean it is anywhere near me".
Besides looking at the spread sheet, if you look at the post Chip made (#2) that tells you pretty much your choices, anything say 70* and up you'll be good with, obviously the high the better, but the ones you show under 50 and in the 20's would be a no go.

Look again
Sort excel LIL tab by 1) SAT 2) TPN 3) Market and 4) Channel

Sat 103 TPN 16 and 20 has Waco ,Tx channels, A bit far but Tx spots are big.
Uncertain yet what TPN 19 is ?Sherman ,Tx but pretty far away. There are spotbeams that are allocated for San Angelo and Victoria Tx but didn't think they were active
Doctor j

On closer exam, Sat 103 TPN 16,19, &20 in your area (El Paso) is covered by BEAM A1B9 but no markets are assigned to that beam.
I did not think they were being broadcast so I'll have to rethink.
Will consult my smarter cohorts and report back.
Doctor j

OK, so I've gone to my sources and this is what he said.
Before D14 , Albuquerque was broadcast on D12 103 TPN 16,19 &/or 20.
It did not fully cover the entirety of the DMA so when D14 was launched the transmission switched to D14 99 TPN 1 & 3.

Then general assumption was that D12 tpns were turned off but your report shows at least the carrier signal is still active although to the best of anyone's knowledge No actual content is active.
Mystery explained. Is this near AREA 51? :)

Doctor j

This is very interesting. I vaguely recall some discussion about the far corners of New Mexico not being able to get the Albuquerque channels. The only parts of NM not in the ABQ DMA are the southeast corner with Hobbs watching Odessa and Las Cruces with El Paso. Possibly a sliver of far eastern NM also goes with Lubbock or Amarillo. There was a big conflict about students at Eastern New Mexico State University in Portales ,NM not being able to watch their own PBS affiliate from D* right on campus.
No, Area 51 is in Nevada but New Mexico is home to the Roswell aliens.

Status
Please reply by conversation.