Which TV is best for Dish?

Vizio dropped plasmas a year or two ago. They were LGs or they used LG circuit boards anyway, I'm not sure if LG actually made them or not. Get a Panasonic. The Panasonics have the best PQ and reliability. If you look in Consumer Reports Samsung breakdowns are about 50% higher than Panasonic. Both are fairly low in breakdowns but Panny is lower, Panasonic is about 3% in the first 3 years, Samsung is about 5%.

Well, up to this point I have not seen many (if any) comments about the LG plasmas, so here goes. I have purchased 2 since December 2009. I bought the first, a 50" plasma 720 for 738.00, which was about $300 less than the comprable 1080 model. And WOW...what a great picture. Plenty of expert calibration settings for us techie guys. I liked it so well that I bought another one 6 months later, yes, a 50" 720, but a newer 2010 model. It has a thinner profile, price has dropped, picked it up for $629.00, and I think the picture on the newer one is slightly better than the first one I bought. Both these TVs are on Dish HD package viewing with 211 and 222 receivers on eastern arc, and by the way, the Dish quality has been nothing less than great...no pixing, no drop outs, etc. (I self installed my dish, so it is peaked to the max). The HH Gregg salesman tried to upgrade me to the LG 1080 model for another $350, and was very perplexed that I wouldn't do the upgrade. But having one already, I was sold on the 720 model, and to this day am very satisified with my decision for LG Plasmas :)

Last edited:
Well, up to this point I have not seen many (if any) comments about the LG plasmas, so here goes. I have purchased 2 since December 2009. I bought the first, a 50" plasma 720 for 738.00, which was about $300 less than the comprable 1080 model. And WOW...what a great picture. Plenty of expert calibration settings for us techie guys. I liked it so well that I bought another one 6 months later, yes, a 50" 720, but a newer 2010 model. It has a thinner profile, price has dropped, picked it up for $629.00, and I think the picture on the newer one is slightly better than the first one I bought. Both these TVs are on Dish HD package viewing with 211 and 222 receivers on eastern arc, and by the way, the Dish quality has been nothing less than great...no pixing, no drop outs, etc. (I self installed my dish, so it is peaked to the max). The HH Gregg salesman tried to upgrade me to the LG 1080 model for another $350, and was very perplexed that I wouldn't do the upgrade. But having one already, I was sold on the 720 model, and to this day am very satisified with my decision for LG Plasmas :)

There's a bunch of people here who would disagree about LG plasmas being good:

Zenith 50 Inch Plasma loud pop then Black Screen

That's just one thread in a not so active forum. I've seen a lot of other posts about LG problems too. I've also seen broke LG plasmas for sale in local ads. CR gives LG breakdowns about 7-8%, 50% higher than Samsung and over 100% higher than Panasonic. 8% is still relatively low but why chance it when Panasonic is 3%. I'd consider LG one to avoid.

Last edited:
some of the new LG's are getting pretty good reviews. Look up the current models and you'll see things have changed more recently.

Panasonic has slightly better repair history than Samsung. There's also been a lot more controversy about Panasonic black levels over the last year though.

Kind of makes things a wash between all the big brand name reputations where you end up comparing individual model reviews.

I always feel like sony prices themselves out of competition in terms of bang for the buck.

If you have a Sears near you they often have pretty good sales on TVs and sometimes you can get 10% off the sale price and another 10% off that if you use a Sears card. They have 10% off TVs starting at 8PM today. Add to that a very liberal price matching policy and you can get some pretty great deals there if the timing is right.

Does Sears even have a credit card these days? They've dropped and restarted that program so many times I've lost count.

MY TWO CENTS ON BRANDS

Vizio used to be poor quality. Today they're better, and a major player. Still, I wouldn't buy one. LG, "Lucky Goldstar" - previously known as "Goldstar" - has also improved their quality levels. I might consider buying one. Sony - I've had too many poor Sony products to ever give them much consideration. Although, I do have a PS3 for a BD player. Toshiba is good. Sharp is generally good, but has had some banding problems on some of their Aquos LCDs.

Who to avoid? Philips and Westinghouse. Also Coby and Haier.

Where to buy? I'd suggest Costco or a similar warehouse "club" store. Especially Costco. They often have good return policies and the prices are good, maybe the best for brick and mortars.

Last edited:
PLASMAS

So who is actually manufacturing them today? Never mind brands, who actually builds them? IIRC a year or two ago, it shook out to maybe two or three companies with actual fabs. And sales (market share) went down but may have since recovered. Accurate?

Even the Kuros were shopped out (to Panasonic?).

They do seem to have a reputation for being heavy, hot energy hogs. Certainly, this has been improved upon. And they're not much burdened by the "burn in babies" tag they used to carry.

Will 3D boost plasma's market share and extend their availability for a few more years? Assuming something like OLED or such will one day take over.

I suggest LG or Samsung. LG is generally $50 cheaper with comparable models. I would not recommend Toshiba. Our TV service man works on new Toshibas all the time and he said they are junk. Panasonic has some great plasma TVs.

If you are looking for the best bang for your buck and the best picture quality I would get a plasma.

PLASMAS

So who is actually manufacturing them today? Never mind brands, who actually builds them? IIRC a year or two ago, it shook out to maybe two or three companies with actual fabs. And sales (market share) went down but may have since recovered. Accurate?

Even the Kuros were shopped out (to Panasonic?).

They do seem to have a reputation for being heavy, hot energy hogs. Certainly, this has been improved upon. And they're not much burdened by the "burn in babies" tag they used to carry.

Will 3D boost plasma's market share and extend their availability for a few more years? Assuming something like OLED or such will one day take over.
Pioneer ended their HDTV production before they did any actual production with Panasonic. After pioneer killed the kuro, Panasonic purchased a lot of their patents and brought over engineers. You'll find some very limited amount of Pioneer technology in this years Panasonic plasmas.

Even compared to last year... Plasma screens have become much lighter than last years models. I bought mine last year and there was a pretty hefty drop in weight since then. Probably varies by manufacturer, but they are becoming even thinner.

The "energy hog" thing is pretty much inaccurate with current models. See my previous commments on that.

Last edited:
Plasma TVs are always thought of as energy hogs because they use more energy than other TVs. Just because they use more than the other TVs doesn't mean they are energy hogs.

As long as glare is not an issue I would always go with a Plasma TV.

I am thinking about getting a new TV in the future and was looking at a 46" TV Plasma. The reason that I am getting plasma is because I read that you can get a better viewing angle.

?
Thats Bogus, LCD have a veiwing angle of 178 degrees as well, and Plasmas have glass screens that reflect every piece of light in the room.
Plasmas Need Dark rooms.

I has a Plasma for less then 6 months, and With Image retention in the Deep blacks Turned me right off of them.

I wouldn't recommend a Plasma to anyone.

They use about 1/3 + more electric,
( 42 inch Panny plasma 720p 60 Hz 400watts,) (47 inch Philips LCD 1080p 120 Hz 280 Watts)
They Weigh more.
The screens reflect everything in the room in th daytime.
Image retention can happen no matter what precautions are taken. (Which is why its still not covered under any warranty)

The Good is the Blacks are Very black,
But when you see Images in the blacks from either your Dish or Directv Guide,and channel display. Its a big turn off.
Not to Mention the TVs own setting menu.

Not at all impressed with the progress with plasmas.

I can't imagine owning a plasma 5 years ago.:(

You must have had some odd problems with your plasma. Plasma give the best, accurate picture of any TV. LEDs would be second in line and regular LCDs would be behind the both of them. I think all three TVs are great and fit specific needs. It all comes down to personal preference in the end.

I have my 58" Plasma in my living room and very rarely have a big problem with glare. I do not notice any difference with electricity, although I know they use a little more. I also own a 37" LCD and that works great for my bedroom.

I sell TVs and do know my fair share about them. Like I said before, it ultimately comes down to personal preference. I know what TVs have the best reveiws and give the best performance, but in the end it comes down to what you feel looks the best and at the price you are happy with. Plasma is usually the best bang for the buck. LEDs look great but you have to pay a premium right now. Even a great LCD is a lot more than a plasma.

This may sound silly to some of the folks here but when I went looking for a flatscreen either LCD or Plasma back in 2007 I was curious just how problem free they really were. I asked the primary repair center in my area that covers all the warranty work for the major manfr's what he would suggest. He stated hands down it was Panasonic. From airmail parts to free loaner(if available). Best company to work with. I asked about Samsung.. He laughed. Some even recent units still sitting in the shop awaiting parts from weeks before.

Okay you could say I'm a fanboy of Panny's but even my son who turned his nose up when I said I bought one agreed one great picture. :up

I know you don't have to sell TVs but being it is my job I do spend a lot of time doing research. I have to answer question about TVs everyday.

Hemi what TV do you have for a TV and do you like?

I have 5 LCD's and 1 Plasma
  • Sony KDLXBR5 52" 1080p 120Hz (livingroom)
  • Philips 47PFL-5704D/F7 47" 1080p 120Hz (master Bedroom)
  • Philips 42PFL-7432D 42" 1080p 60Hz ( Bar/Rec room)
  • Panasonic TC-P42c2 42" 720p 600Hz (Bar/Rec room)
  • Magnavox 32 MF338B/F7 32" 768P 60 Hz (Oldest Daughters room)
  • Sony KDL-26L5000 26" 720p 60Hz (Youngest Daughters room)
The Sony 52 and Philips 47 are about Tied, Some things the Philips is better at and some things the sony is better at.
Blacks on the sony is better,
Sound on the sony is better
Tied for Motion blur , Hardly any at all, a touch more on the Philips 47.
The Philips Cost about 1/3 less then the sony.

Panny Plasma, well a Repair man from Panasonic will be here tomorrow to address a premature issue with Image Rention. It seems to only take about 10 Minutes. But Darkest blacks Yes, No motion Blur at all, But Soft PQ and screen Reflection make it disturbing.

The other Philips 42, well 1080p But the 720p Panasonic has better PQ over all.

Magnavox is going on 2 years old, Works Flawless since day one. Impressed,
PQ is Good,SD too. Cost less then $500 New.

The New Sony 26 inch, Well What can I say , Tons of Features, Its a Sony . PQ and Sound Great for a TV this size.

I like Sonys the best, Philips have been really reliable, even if the PQ is not always the best with the older models.

Last edited:
I have Sharp and Samsung LCDs with excellent viewing angles. Granted, not all LCD are that way. And they aren't nearly as glossy as the plasmas I've seen. I also have a JVC LCoS RPTV, with a non-glossy screen. Wish they still made those.

Who to avoid? Philips and Westinghouse. Also Coby and Haier.

I don't know what experience you have had with Philips, but they are nowhere near the same category and quality of the others you mentioned. I have had excellent experiences with Philips products for many years. I have a 42" Philips plasma that I originally purchased in February of 2006. About 10 months after purchase, I discovered a unusual problem with the retention of certain channels on my Favorites list. Not earthshaking by any means and had no other problems (this was something that at best 2% of users would even notice). I contacted Philips support just before the warranty expired, just in case it was something that could develop into another problem later. They contacted a local repair service (a very reputable one) who came out and diagnosed the problem. It was a circuit board, but he found out Philips had no replacement for it. So, they sent me a comparable, newer model and gave me another year's warranty (which they really didn't have to do). The serviceman came out and exchanged the units.

The unit itself has an excellent picture and I've never had another glitch in operation. I have a bad habit of leaving pictures on the screen on pause for long periods and have never had burn-in problems.

I doubt that any company has never had a defective unit, and just because one individual had one bad experience doesn't make them a bad company. Often, it's in the way individuals handle problems or have unreasonable expectations.

I know that when I buy another unit, my first choice will be Philips if they have a model that satisfies my needs.

LCDs are very commonly known to have glossy screens now that have reflection and glare issues. Sony is one of the few that still made matte screens (at least when i looked last year).

from last year:

Consumer Reports: Viewing angle still the Achilles heel for most LCD TVs
Glossy Yes, When the tv is not on, The Gloss of the 8 LCD's that I've owned only 1 was anywhere near the Panisonic Plasma glass screen. (That was my Old 37 inch Philips LCD)
Trust me there is a BIG difference.

Looking at a plasma screen is like looking in a mirror, Well thats a little extreme, But you get the Idea.:)

I don't know what experience you have had with Philips, but they are nowhere near the same category and quality of the others you mentioned. I have had excellent experiences with Philips products for many years. I have a 42" Philips plasma that I originally purchased in February of 2006. About 10 months after purchase, I discovered a unusual problem with the retention of certain channels on my Favorites list. Not earthshaking by any means and had no other problems (this was something that at best 2% of users would even notice). I contacted Philips support just before the warranty expired, just in case it was something that could develop into another problem later. They contacted a local repair service (a very reputable one) who came out and diagnosed the problem. It was a circuit board, but he found out Philips had no replacement for it. So, they sent me a comparable, newer model and gave me another year's warranty (which they really didn't have to do). The serviceman came out and exchanged the units.

The unit itself has an excellent picture and I've never had another glitch in operation. I have a bad habit of leaving pictures on the screen on pause for long periods and have never had burn-in problems.

I doubt that any company has never had a defective unit, and just because one individual had one bad experience doesn't make them a bad company. Often, it's in the way individuals handle problems or have unreasonable expectations.

I know that when I buy another unit, my first choice will be Philips if they have a model that satisfies my needs.

Actually, they kinda DO have to give you a new TV. The brands mentioned, and some others, simply DON'T have any repair parts. From day 1. They count on it being cheaper to replace "a few" I guess.

There was an article on this for certain brands and why they should be avoided. And it's not just that the lesser brands might be using panels that are a generation or two or three behind the big names. They are disposable. You will be completely out of luck after the warranty period. I don't have time now to go hunt up the article. I was thinking of LCDs, BTW. And it's a general reputation, based on articles and reviews, not my personal experience.

I will add one thing: Do not buy an Insignia LCD from Best Buy. One came with my RV and the vertical viewing angle was so bad, I had to give it away and that's how I ended up with a Sharp. RV mount did not allow for tilting, only panning. And the ones on the show room floor at BB also exhibited narrow viewing angles.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)