Which TV is best for Dish?

I would never recommend Insignia. Just a cheap brand made for Best Buy. As for Toshiba, I just don't recommend them because our service man works on them all the time. He does work for multiple dealers and one dealer sells Toshiba. Everytime I go in his shop there are at least 3 or 4 Toshiba LCDs sitting there for repair. Most of them seem to be under warranty which is why he doesn't like them, he doesn't get paid as much then.

I don't think the Toshibas have a bad picture or anything, I just think they are not as reliable.

I wouldn't recommend a Plasma to anyone.

They use about 1/3 + more electric,
( 42 inch Panny plasma 720p 60 Hz 400watts,) (47 inch Philips LCD 1080p 120 Hz 280 Watts)
They Weigh more.
The screens reflect everything in the room in th daytime.
Image retention can happen no matter what precautions are taken. (Which is why its still not covered under any warranty)

My Samsung 50 inch plasma weighs 69 lbs, and consumes 350 watts, which is not too bad, considering my previous 50 inch plasma weighed 120 lbs, and consumed 500 watts. I close my blinds when watching TV in the mid day. I've had my Sammy getting close to a year now, with ZERO image retention issues, even after having the wii on for several hours at a time.

My Samsung 50 inch plasma weighs 69 lbs, and consumes 350 watts, which is not too bad, considering my previous 50 inch plasma weighed 120 lbs, and consumed 500 watts. I close my blinds when watching TV in the mid day. I've had my Sammy getting close to a year now, with ZERO image retention issues, even after having the wii on for several hours at a time.

i pulled up some info in a recent plasma review... the Panasonic 50" G20 series (bottom of the review for power usage):

Panasonic Viera TC-P50G20 Flat-panel TV reviews - CNET Reviews

Picture on (watts): 215.57
Cost per year: $46.55

Weight (lbs.) w/Stand: 63.9 lbs.
Weight (lbs.) without Stand 57.3 lbs

I couldn't find an equivalent sized LCD review (without LED backlighting), but it seems like they would be in the 120 to 150 watt range for a calibrated set. Basically about $15 to $20 less per year than the plasma i mentioned above.

Some of the LED backlit LCDs can get even lower, but you're really paying for that performance compared to a plasma. Not necessarily an apples to apples comparison at that point.

And that's before all the California power rules are in effect... Expect the gap to narrow even more in the next few model years.

Last edited:
Panasonic 42" 720p plasma - rated at 235 watts power consumption though I haven't measured it. Looks great on Dish HD, and we paid less than $500 for it a month ago, tax included.

You must have had some odd problems with your plasma. Plasma give the best, accurate picture of any TV. LEDs would be second in line and regular LCDs would be behind the both of them. I think all three TVs are great and fit specific needs. It all comes down to personal preference in the end.

I have my 58" Plasma in my living room and very rarely have a big problem with glare. I do not notice any difference with electricity, although I know they use a little more. I also own a 37" LCD and that works great for my bedroom.

I sell TVs and do know my fair share about them. Like I said before, it ultimately comes down to personal preference. I know what TVs have the best reveiws and give the best performance, but in the end it comes down to what you feel looks the best and at the price you are happy with. Plasma is usually the best bang for the buck. LEDs look great but you have to pay a premium right now. Even a great LCD is a lot more than a plasma.

You get what you pay for. I have two LCD's both Vizio's they where both under $350 a 22 inch and a 32 inch both look great and don't use much power no glare and great color as for quality they both still work so who knows.
I also have a Pioneer Kuro. (I don't even want to tell what I paid for it. Lets just say I could have bought 20 of the Vizio's for the same price.) The Kuro is a fantastic TV it has no glare and has the best picture by far of any TV I have ever seen. My home theater is the destination of all my family and friends any time there is an important sporting event. As they say if you have to worry about the power consumption of a TV then you can't afford it.;)

Whatever brand you buy if you get a plasma they should be broken in properly to minimize the risk of burn-in and maximize performance. No static images or black bars for the first 100-200 hours. If the TV doesn't look good at first don't worry the picture quality will improve after break-in.

Whatever brand you buy if you get a plasma they should be broken in properly to minimize the risk of burn-in and maximize performance. No static images or black bars for the first 100-200 hours. If the TV doesn't look good at first don't worry the picture quality will improve after break-in.

I have read that this isn't the case anymore with Plasma...there is no "burn-in period" needed.

Ghpr13:)

Thats good, I'm sure many people have had good luck with their Plasmas. I'm just not impressed that less then 6 months , I'm seeing Images on the screen, When Every precaution was taken.

I got a Guy from Panasonic coming over. He should be here by 10 am.

I'll see if I can get him to measure the power use, while he's here, On all my TVs:D

I'll tip him!:)

Panasonic 42" 720p plasma - rated at 235 watts power consumption though I haven't measured it. Looks great on Dish HD, and we paid less than $500 for it a month ago, tax included.
If it was this one.
Panasonic TC-P42c2 42" 720p 600Hz

Its a Claimed 286 watts, But our local news measured these once and it really used closer to 400 watts.

During the false energy star claims.
I think this was also on national tv , About Companys that are putting Energy star markings on TV's when they don't really qualify.
And Panasonic was one of the companys.

But I'll know today what mine uses.

Yeah I remember when LG got caught with their claim on their refrigerators. It made me chuckle a little.
Yea it was funny,
But our local news took a Guy from PPL electric and tested other stuff including 5 LCD and 5 Plasmas.
And LG, Panasonic,Toshiba , were all Higher then their clamied wattage use. Over the Maximum requirement to be baged Enery Star.
It was funny. It was one month after I got the same model Panny.:D

It really just depends what you want. First off, I couldn't care less about power consumption. I'll pay whatever it costs to get the quality that I want. Who cares if my power bill is $10 more per month, give me a break. My main set at home is a 60" Pioneer Kuro that has been professionally calibrated and is amazing. I have 4 other LCDs (a 23" in the bathroom mounted so I can watch the news in the morning and so my girlfriend and swing it over to the tub so she can watch when taking a bath, and a 32" in the bedroom that is used for about 20 mins each evening and two 32" for my tailgate setup. The 4 LCDs are all Vizios that were cheap. The picture on all of them is good. Nothing compared to my Pioneer, but I also wouldn't expect them to be. They get the job done for what I need. For the tailgate setup a plasma was never even considered as the glass would be shattered on the first trip (I have them mounted inside a pull up concession door style opening in my tailgate trailer). Pretty much everyone at the tailgate is just amazed to have HD and couldn't care less about the quality of the TVs.

I guess my point is there are uses for both styles even when you're talking about the same user.

There's a bunch of people here who would disagree about LG plasmas being good:

Zenith 50 Inch Plasma loud pop then Black Screen

That's just one thread in a not so active forum. I've seen a lot of other posts about LG problems too. I've also seen broke LG plasmas for sale in local ads. CR gives LG breakdowns about 7-8%, 50% higher than Samsung and over 100% higher than Panasonic. 8% is still relatively low but why chance it when Panasonic is 3%. I'd consider LG one to avoid.

Well, Zenith is no longer an active brand, and the early versions don't even compare with today's LG products. Plasmabuyingguide.com rates these TVs at 86 out of 100, And for the $$$ spent that's a very good TV at a very good price. The comparably priced 50" Panny P50X1 was rated 82. Only the Samsung 50" 720 was rated higher at 91. So who's to say the right thing? Everybody has their preference for one reason or the other. :cool:

Quite a few of my friends have plasma. I bucked the trend and went with a Mitsubishi WD65C9 DLP last Thanksgiving ($1049 including shipping to my door from TigerDirect). They all laughed at me and said how inferior my TV would be in PQ... but guess where everyone is at on Sunday afternoon at game time? ;)

If you have the room, you simply can not beat the value of a Mits DLP TV. I know the blacks might not be as dark as a plasma, and the viewing angle is not as big and there is a bit of overscan, but all of that is completely insignificant when compared to the HUGE screen that will have everyone who sees it wondering why they paid so much more for their smaller set. I paid less for my 1080p 65" screen than some of my friends paid for their 50" screens!

Dish HD (connected via HDMI from a 722K) and BluRay both look absolutely stunning on these sets.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 for what it's worth.

I don't think Bud Abbott could deliver a better setup line. I'll refrain from comment and just continue to enjoy real HD on FiOS and free over-the-air. However, I do hear that Dish HD looks fantastic on most smartphones. ;)

Who is Bud Abbott?

I'm showing my age here. He's the "straight guy" of a comedy team of Bud Abbott and Lou Costello (one of the best duo's ever imho). Check this link (he's the tall guy):

[ame=http://www.metacafe.com/watch/323909/who_s_on_first/]Who´s On First - Video[/ame]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts