Which would you keep? 905 or 920?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My 922 is only a bit over 2 years old so I think I have time, heck my VCII+ still works and that's from 91. Don't seem like it worth doing anything with it with analog 98% gone. Does the digicipher II use the battery when it's plugged in? Im not sure... Im on a UPS also.

My 922 is only a bit over 2 years old so I think I have time, heck my VCII+ still works and that's from 91. Don't seem like it worth doing anything with it with analog 98% gone. Does the digicipher II use the battery when it's plugged in? Im not sure... Im on a UPS also.
The way I understand it, the battery and the power in the unit are two different circuits.

The unit does not re-charge the battery. The battery has a life of it's own, and when it is gone, it is gone.

Having power to the unit will keep the Unit ID alive after the battery is dead, but if the power is cut off and the battery is dead, everything dies. :(

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

The way I understand it, the battery and the power in the unit are two different circuits.

The unit does not re-charge the battery. The battery has a life of it's own, and when it is gone, it is gone.

Having power to the unit will keep the Unit ID alive after the battery is dead, but if the power is cut off and the battery is dead, everything dies. :(

I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

The way the VCII worked I think was the battery isn't used when the unit is plugged in but can run down from heat and age. I would think it's the same in the DC II. I would think it has a couple diodes that allows the current to flow from one source or the other depending on powered up state or not.

Well I have worked all day on and off on the 4DTV dish and setting up the Analog GI 650i in preparation for the final DSR-905 installation.

I changed out the Co-Rotor II and put in my newly acquired Co-Rotor with the ADL patant infringing probe. What a difference in SQ on the 920. Everything up across the board especially the Ku signals.

I now have the 650i in place and mostly programmed in across the arc. I will put the 905 in place tomorrow and program it in.

Do any of you 650i owners know how to change the broadcast codes for the UHF remote on the 650i?

Right now there isn't any interference, but if I put the other 650i on the test dish next week, there will be. :(

Thanks!!

This information is for anyone doing a master reset on a DSR-905 digital sidecar. I got it on another forum and it was written by:

Air Doctor
The 905 starts up after master reset on VC 255, and won't allow selection of channel 3. Even after adding G1, it won't permit selecting channel 3. After adding G0, it won't allow selection of any but 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 13, none of which have DC2 signals on G0.

After a bit of experimentation, I found that by adding and choosing G0, tuning to channel 13, then moving the dish to G1, I got a lock. I didn't time it, but it seems less than 5 minutes was enough to map what was necessary to proceed to choosing channel 03, and to have it acquire guide data.

I had quite an experience with NPS prior to find AD's information.

I ranted my vent on the other forum. Suffice it to say that a supervisor referred to my cherished 905 as "junk".

A tdti1 says above
most advanced hobbiests use a pro dish mover and just add it to there collection of receivers to tune in whatever is up there, and for a sub.
I doubt they would like hearing their equipment called "junk" either.

But it authorized again after my changing the battery out yesterday, and is downloading the rest of the maps and guide on G1 channel 3 right now.

I think I am going to like it. :)

I had quite an experience with NPS prior to find AD's information.

I ranted my vent on the other forum. Suffice it to say that a supervisor referred to my cherished 905 as "junk".

A tdti1 says above

I doubt they would like hearing their equipment called "junk" either.

Im purchacing all my programming from NPS right now. I have been with them since they opened there doors in 92. Back then they answerd the phones right away, and worked with you. Seems now there more intersted in pushing HDTV's and high speed internet. I have had some rude , braindead CSR's in the last few years but always could square a problem away with a supervisor. What gets my blood boiling is I helped build NPS and I always let them know that when they give me crap. On the other hand I have talked with some great CSR's that did wonders for me over the years. It's sad that a few sad apples spoil the bunch.

Im purchacing all my programming from NPS right now. I have been with them since they opened there doors in 92. Back then they answerd the phones right away, and worked with you. Seems now there more intersted in pushing HDTV's and high speed internet. I have had some rude , braindead CSR's in the last few years but always could square a problem away with a supervisor. What gets my blood boiling is I helped build NPS and I always let them know that when they give me crap. On the other hand I have talked with some great CSR's that did wonders for me over the years. It's sad that a few sad apples spoil the bunch.

Isn't that the truth!

I have always had good service over the past year or a little more. They have always been helpful, some even going out of their way.

But today, the first lady I talked to was rude, as you say, brain dead, and got ticked at me for telling her they did authorize 905's because I just did it two days ago. Said she didn't have to listen to someone tell her what they authorize when she knew they didn't.

I just got through laying the facts out for John Ferguson on the other forum. He said he pulled the call which is a written record, and supposedly the lady never said they didn't authorize 905's. She supposedly said they didn't offer support.

All I asked was a satellite and a channel where I could download the maps and get it authorized.

I finally found the answer above. There is no G1 channel 3 after a Master reset. That has to be downloaded.

Isn't that the truth!

I have always had good service over the past year or a little more. They have always been helpful, some even going out of their way.

But today, the first lady I talked to was rude, as you say, brain dead, and got ticked at me for telling her they did authorize 905's because I just did it two days ago. Said she didn't have to listen to someone tell her what they authorize when she knew they didn't.

I just got through laying the facts out for John Ferguson on the other forum. He said he pulled the call which is a written record, and supposedly the lady never said they didn't authorize 905's. She supposedly said they didn't offer support.

All I asked was a satellite and a channel where I could download the maps and get it authorized.

I finally found the answer above. There is no G1 channel 3 after a Master reset. That has to be downloaded.

NPS is not what they used to be.

When the sidecar was made maps were on G-10. I think the 920's also start out looking for G-10. I know my 922 wants to be on G1-3 so I never have an issue. The 905 is a great little add on. If they still made them I probably would have got one when I got my 922. The 922's analog isn't the greatest on wideband stuff. After having a Monterey 50 since 91 till 2006 I can see the difference on things like ABC on T4 (4dtv) When they were selling off the sidecars you could get them new for $99.00 I almost got one but held out. I have no problems with my 922 though it works great day after day so Im happy :)

Added: Fred, I called NPS just a bit ago and was asking them about my programming. I must have got the same jerk that you spoke with today . She was real snotty and told me they don't offer my package I have any more (it's running out soon). I told her you people keep that up and you'll have no subscribers left. I told her I'll get the channel through Skyvision they offer it, she didn't like that. NPS needs to get there act and storys straight.

I took a look at SRL's new W5 mini packs just now and they offer all Im getting with NPS with another mini pack (which runs out in July) and TV land which NPS isn't letting me renew anymore for less than what I am paying now:). So it looks like Im back with SRL again in July. Only on C band can you do this :D. Try that with the LSD or cable.:eek:

NPS keeps following Dish's model, They forgot what C band programming is all about.:(

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)