Who Bought a Manhattan, But Now Not Using it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Pixl

Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 27, 2010
Traverse City, Michigan
There was a lot of chatter about the Manhattan a few weeks ago that has now quieted down. I had to shelve mine due to switch and motor issues while the Manhattan people work on this. Have others had to do this? There is not much talk on this box.

I have mine partially shelved.

I use it to blind scan stuff and anything new it finds punch it into my AZbox.

Once they get the motor switch issue fixed it could be a nice box.

I have mine partially shelved. I use it to blind scan stuff and anything new it finds punch it into my AZbox. Once they get the motor switch issue fixed it could be a nice box.
Would you recommend a "new" FTA buyer getting one of these, or get a AZBox or Openbox now, and see how this does? I don't suppose that you have your DMX741 yet do you? When you get it, please give a review of how the Manhattan does with the DMX741 and C/Ku on 22khz. Thanks

Would you recommend a "new" FTA buyer getting one of these, or get a AZBox or Openbox now, and see how this does? I don't suppose that you have your DMX741 yet do you? When you get it, please give a review of how the Manhattan does with the DMX741 and C/Ku on 22khz. Thanks

If you had to buy one now, I'd get an Openbox s9 ( or better a Solomend 800, used). The Manhattan box is not as useful as the Openbox bunch, yet, but it may well be better in the near future. If NOW is what you have to go on, then get an S9. :)

If you had to buy one now, I'd get an Openbox s9 ( or better a Solomend 800, used). The Manhattan box is not as useful as the Openbox bunch, yet, but it may well be better in the near future. If NOW is what you have to go on, then get an S9. :)

Interesting. I was just thinking the opposite after getting a S10 maybe I am wrong since people don't like the manhattan. ;)

Interesting. I was just thinking the opposite after getting a S10 maybe I am wrong since people don't like the manhattan. ;)
Well, let's be fair.
I am disappointed in it, since it's been in development (or at least talked about) since last December.
And still it comes to market with obvious bugs.
But, so did its competition.
Give it a few months, let the dust settle, and revisit it.

With the new found competition, I see the S10 is getting some bugs whipped, too.
More brands on the market is good for the buyer.

I'm kind of waiting 'till the end of the year to see who's on top.
Maybe SatAV will roll out a model (?)
If so, my money would be on that product.

I think the Solomend 800 and s9 are more versatile until the Manhattan software fixes the Diseqc/motor choice issue. I don't think the S10 is worth much, it's too cut down on ports. I can run both my Gbox and USALS motor with the Solomend 800, but only 1 or the other using the current Manhattan software. I'd like the flexibilty to do everything, with everything, as much as possible . I'm not complaining about the Manhattan, only that it is not yet as mature as the S9. That might change next week, you know. :)

Well, let's be fair.
I am disappointed in it, since it's been in development (or at least talked about) since last December.
And still it comes to market with obvious bugs.
But, so did its competition.
Give it a few months, let the dust settle, and revisit it.

With the new found competition, I see the S10 is getting some bugs whipped, too.
More brands on the market is good for the buyer.

I'm kind of waiting 'till the end of the year to see who's on top.
Maybe SatAV will roll out a model (?)
If so, my money would be on that product.

I am getting the SatAV receiver. It has to be better than these models we have. Someone that actually installs and uses the receiver should write the instructions and design its features.

I'm patiently waiting for the Manhattan people to work on these initial problems as Jeff Schuman has personally e-mailed me that they are doing just that. Thank You.
The question I might bring up, who beta tested these? You guys have to be light weight users to miss such basic features that have been in other boxes for the last 5 years such as as motor control and switching.

I'm patiently waiting for the Manhattan people to work on these initial problems as Jeff Schuman has personally e-mailed me that they are doing just that. Thank You.
The question I might bring up, who beta tested these? You guys have to be light weight users to miss such basic features that have been in other boxes for the last 5 years such as as motor control and switching.

These receiver companies should allow select members of this site to test their equipment out prior to releasing it. :)

Manhattan updated the hardware several months ago, and had to start all over with testing. I suspect that set them back somewhat. I also think they were probably VERY interested in getting the receiver out, so that they could have some revenue. There's no good reason to think that the problems won't be solved fairly soon, and we'll have another good choice. We're actually pretty lucky , with so many stb's to choose from , at prices below $400 . :)

Brent,

I think you're missing my point. My opinion about the developers is the same as yours. I'm leaning on the beta testers they depended on for some input for good AND bad on the product. Seems these people were LIGHT in the sneakers to report any short comings that are obvious to veteran users. I would think it is irresponsible to gloss over shortcomings in a test to appease the developers.

The question of who beta tested these and missed is a very valid point. When I brought up the motor control issue on one of the sat radio shows, one of the engineers I believe it was, went off on me about how people aren't using those types of features and on and on. Many people in the FTA hobby are very much using motor controlled dishes and that feature set needs to be there. My first generation SV1000 even had it, and that's a pretty bottom of the line receiver.
But regardless, I have heard numerous times that those issues are being addressed. And as long as they are there is lots of hope for this great receiver.

... one of the engineers I believe it was, went off on me about how people aren't using those types of features and on and on.
Many people in the FTA hobby are very much using motor controlled dishes and that feature set needs to be there.
He may have been more familiar with satellite service in the UK (or maybe other parts of Europe).
But as you say, he obviously didn't know squat about what we do in North America.
And you'd think the guys on the show (North Americans) would have sold him a clue. ;)
Frankly, the US (?) beta testers, the US dealers, and the US importer should have made clear the needs of N.A.

Brent,

I think you're missing my point. My opinion about the developers is the same as yours. I'm leaning on the beta testers they depended on for some input for good AND bad on the product. Seems these people were LIGHT in the sneakers to report any short comings that are obvious to veteran users. I would think it is irresponsible to gloss over shortcomings in a test to appease the developers.
I see your point, I know that I were asked to make a list of features, it would include the missing features, and I wouldn't have to think too hard about it. :)

Anole said:
He may have been more familiar with satellite service in the UK (or maybe other parts of Europe).
But as you say, he obviously didn't know squat about what we do in North America.
And you'd think the guys on the show (North Americans) would have sold him a clue. ;)
Frankly, the US (?) beta testers, the US dealers, and the US importer should have made clear the needs of N.A.

isnt this the box that was developed in n.a. for north americans? i thought that was all the talk before it was released.

crackt out,.

isnt this the box that was developed in n.a. for north americans?
i thought that was all the talk before it was released.
Exactly. You get my point. - :up

brent636 said:
I know that I were asked to make a list of features, it would include the missing features, and I wouldn't have to think too hard about it.
Writing up the spec might be lengthy (we have a lot of needs in North America), but how many time have we been let down by new receivers?
Time, after time, after time.

There have been examples in the past, from established companies.
Old receiver has all the bugs out, has all the tweaks in...
... out they roll a new receiver... and the bugs are back.
Reminds me of the history of Micro$oft Windows! - :up - :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts