Who do you consider to be your teams BIGGEST rival

CeltsHD

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
RI
I thought it might be interesting to get different opinions on this. :)

This is my opinion for the teams I root for:

Red Sox- this is the biggest no-brainer in the history of no-brainers!

1. Yankees- DUH!!!

2. (and a DISTANT 2nd)- Orioles- the last several years haven't helped this once decent rivalry. When these teams play in Camdem Yards, it's now referred to as "Fenway South".

Bruins- Once again, a no-brainer!

1. Canadiens

2. (and a distant 2nd)- Sabres- B's-Sabres is always a good game. The Sabres were 4th on the rung when Hartford and Quebec had teams.

Celtics- This is a tough one. A lot of people would say the Lakers, but they only play twice a year. Other options are the Sixers, Pistons and Knicks.

1. Sixers- These teams HATED each other in the 60's and again in the early '80's. They had some EPIC playoff showdowns!

2. Lakers- With all the championship matchups, it's hard to put them lower than this.

Jets- Another tough one.

1. Dolphins- these teams have ALWAYS hated each other.

2. Patriots- has become more of a rivalry the last 10 or so years.

Last edited:
Browns-

1. Steelers: The Browns will always despise all things black and gold.

2. Ravens: They stole our team. What else needs to be said?

3. Bengals: Interstate Rivalry. Ex Browns head Coach Paul Brown defected to Cincy after being fired by Art Modell to create this franchise.

Cavs-

1. Pistons: Even though NBA rivalries are few and far between now a days because of the expanded divisions and the fact that division opponents only play each other 4 times a year, I'd consider the Pistons our biggest rival at this point.

2. Wizards: The same fan base that follows the Ravens probably follows the Wizards. Plus, we've met the Wiz quite a few times recently in the playoffs. A lot of drama and smack talk in each game.

3. Bulls: In the late 80's thru early 90's this was a much more heated rivalry. It has died down a bit now, but I still take great joy in beating that franchise.

Indians-

In no particular order....

Detroit Tigers
Minnesota Twins
Chicago White Sox
NY Yankees
Cincinnati Reds

tOSU Buckeyes-

1. Michigan (duh)

I'm a Chiefs fan, any year we beat the Broncos and the Raiders it's a good year. The Raiders rivalry though has been kinda sad... this year they finally broke the losing streak against the Chiefs... it was up to 9 in a row I think (so playing them twice a year... took 4-5 seasons to win one against us).

The Chargers barely feel like they're in our division.

UNC- dook nothing else matters. NC State is somewhat of a rival but because they suck so bad that rivalry isn't that exciting. It's just fun beating up on them.

Panthers- no real rivals. When you're an expansion team you have no rivals.

UNC- dook nothing else matters. NC State is somewhat of a rival but because they suck so bad that rivalry isn't that exciting. It's just fun beating up on them.

You forgot to mention your obsession with the Big Ten...:rolleyes:

Sandra

What about Tobacco vs. the FDA!!?? Classic Rivalry. :)

I've seen these threads before. The fans of teams teams without historic rivals think their rivals are Montreal in Hockey, Dallas in Football and the Yankees.

The Celtics' historic rival was Philadelphia, because back when there were few games on TV, they played Philadelphia on Saturday and Sunday about half a dozen times a season. Wilt and Russell. Russell and Wilt. Hal Greer practicing his jump shot when he took foul shots, and practicing his foul shots when he took jump shots. John Havlicek running everyone until they dropped. Wilt swatting shots ten rows into the seats.

Raiders: Definately the Broncos and followed closely by the Chiefs and not too far behind, the Chargers. Raiders have had a tough time with all of them, but still leads the overal series with all of them.

Marlins: Definately the Mets. ESPECIALLY since it was the last 3 years that it has been the Marlins that elimated them from playoff contention. Followed by the Phillies and the Braves.

The U Football: Definately FSU. From the mid 80s till the early 2000, outside of the tOSU/Michigan rivalry, there was none other. Seemed that almost every year of those rivalries, one or the other and sometimes both, were in the top ten. Followed by VaTech. They have had some very classic games at the OB.

Heat:Definately the Knicks, Magic and the Pistons....ESPECIALLY come playoff time.

Syracuse Orangemen Basketball: Georgetown...heated rivalry like this one from the early 80s till the early 2000s use to be crazy!

Raiders: Definately the Broncos and followed closely by the Chiefs and not too far behind, the Chargers. Raiders have had a tough time with all of them, but still leads the overal series with all of them.

Obviously you would know better than me, but I've always thought the Raiders biggest rival was the Chiefs.

Obviously you would know better than me, but I've always thought the Raiders biggest rival was the Chiefs.

I'd say that as a Chiefs fan too, but both the Chiefs and Raiders have lacked success for a bit, Broncos came across as arrogant and holier than thou as legit contenders of the weak division and with Shanahan on the sideline, I expect the Chiefs and Raiders to be the bigger rivalry going forward in the absence of the rat.

3 teams in the division changing coaches/identities, it'll be back to basics in no time (ie Chiefs and Raiders).

Our teams need to stop sucking so we can get some nice prime time action against each other.

Syracuse Orangemen Basketball: Georgetown...heated rivalry like this one from the early 80s till the early 2000s use to be crazy!

In it's prime, IMO, this was one the most underrated rivalries of all time.

I remember watching Hoyas-Orange games from the Carrier Dome with 30,000+ people in attendance. One year, the fans were throwing oranges at the back of the backboard when the Hoyas were shooting free throws.

Another time, John Thompson and Jim Boeheim had to be separated at halfcourt! :eek:

St. John's and Villanova were also involved in this round robin rivalry in the '80's. BUT, nothing was as intense as Georgetown-Syracuse! :up

I'd say that as a Chiefs fan too, but both the Chiefs and Raiders have lacked success for a bit, Broncos came across as arrogant and holier than thou as legit contenders of the weak division and with Shanahan on the sideline, I expect the Chiefs and Raiders to be the bigger rivalry going forward in the absence of the rat.

3 teams in the division changing coaches/identities, it'll be back to basics in no time (ie Chiefs and Raiders).

Our teams need to stop sucking so we can get some nice prime time action against each other.

And like you said earlier in the thread (this is my observation also), the Chargers seem to be the odd team out in those rivalries.

Buffalo Sabres

1. Boston Bruins

2. Montreal Canadiens

3. Toronto Maple Leafs

4. Ottawa Senators (I REALLY hated them back in 2006 and 2007 before the Sens started to suck)

Bills Rivals

1. Dolphins (They've had more meaningful game with the Bills than other AFC East teams)

2. Jets

3. Patriots

AGREED!!:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)