Who does and does not use "Native Mode"?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Great input on this thread guys;) Thanks. Here is my one problem by leaving it on 1080i and having Native off-It is easy to unknowingly switch the format (or someone in your home switch the format not knowing what they are doing by pressing the format button) and not knowing it is in another format really until you notice, therefore Im not really viewing in HD anymore (480i/p). It has happened to me a few times when not having it in Native. When it is in native pressing the format button does nothing (it's locked, unless held for 3 seconds or so). 1080i with SD looks less vibrant and less colorful IMO. But the time it takes to switch between formats is the one ther annoying thing about native. I guess that is 2 to 1 in favor of having it in native IMO.

I use native on my h20 simply because on my TV all programming looks better that way......I kept it at 1080i for a few days and when I would watch Fox or ESPN it would not look bad but it looked alot better in it's native 720P format. ....however when I watch my Local Fox in 720P the Fox logo looks misplaced and off in the corner but if I switch to 1080i it's fine........However, the PQ difference from watching it at 720P makes me not care at all about the funky Logo in the corner:)

Last edited:
native here on my hitachi 51f510 with the hughes htl-hd - I like the scalers in the hitachi a little better - I wish the hd tivo had a native selection.. oh well - hopefully the h20 dvr will

1080i all the time unless I watch the HD Tivio in the bedroom which only has an SD TV. That I downgrade to 480i. Its better than the blue screen.

I'm going to hook up the component cables from the H20 to my TV tonight to see if the TV only has a problem with the 480 signals on the HDMI input. Right now I cannot use the 480 signals from the H20 because they are "squished" to be more narrow than they are supposed to be on my screen. However, this still won't tell me if the problem is the H20 or the TV. Both are under warranty and I would like to be able to determine if the TV or the H20 is causing the problem. Like I said, I never had an issue with the cable signal at 480i and I don't have a problem over component cables with my 480p signals from my Sony DVD player. The 720 and 1080 signals from the H20 are fine on my TV.

Anybody got a good test for me to try to figure out what is causing the problem - the TV or the H20?

I use native so I can use the cinema stretch mode on my Pioneer with SD material. The time it takes to lock in a channel doesn't bother me a bit.

Im still using Native (1080i for HD to 480p for SD). Im still wondering if I should just leave it on 1080i at all times (mainly because of the time it takes to re-format my TV). But I can't really decide, It's hard to tell If there is really any significant difference in picture with the SD's from 480 to 1080. I periodically will leave native off, but I always end up turning it back on, this time I have it set-up only to go to 480p, i used to have it set to go to 480i (the reciever choose 480i autimatically on it's own rather than 480p) So I turned 480i off all together as an option for my reciever to choose.

kentuck1163 said:
I'm going to hook up the component cables from the H20 to my TV tonight to see if the TV only has a problem with the 480 signals on the HDMI input. Right now I cannot use the 480 signals from the H20 because they are "squished" to be more narrow than they are supposed to be on my screen. However, this still won't tell me if the problem is the H20 or the TV. Both are under warranty and I would like to be able to determine if the TV or the H20 is causing the problem. Like I said, I never had an issue with the cable signal at 480i and I don't have a problem over component cables with my 480p signals from my Sony DVD player. The 720 and 1080 signals from the H20 are fine on my TV.

Anybody got a good test for me to try to figure out what is causing the problem - the TV or the H20?

It seems it doesn't matter what type connection I use. All of the 480 signals (both interlaced and progressive) look "scrunched" on my TV. This is not true of any 480 signals I have fed to the TV, so I have to conclude it is the H20 receiver. By "scrunched" I mean that the picture is about a third narrower than it should be. When I set the 480 signal to the setting which is supposed to stretch it to full screen, it looks the correct size for an unstretched picture. Should I call DirecTV and request a replacement while its still on warranty?

jim tressler said:
native here on my hitachi 51f510 with the hughes htl-hd - I like the scalers in the hitachi a little better - I wish the hd tivo had a native selection.. oh well - hopefully the h20 dvr will
I've had some trouble with my 51f510 using hdmi. It has stabled up just putting everything in 1080i mode. Have you had any trouble with line flickers or anything with your tv ??

sportsfan - no troubles at all.. hdmi with 480i/p, 1080i, and 720p have all been fine - both the tivo, and the hughes

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts