Who here has a DVR for their antennas? What DVR do you have?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Yeah, my kids (teenagers) are big fans as well. But that's the kind of thing a cord cutter can easily get online using Hola and iPlayer.

It's a shame the PC option gets dismissed immediately by most for being too complicated. It's really no harder than plugging in and setting up a new printer. Takes about 15 minutes, and, boom, you've got a free DVR. Plug in an IR dongle, and it works with your remote just like a Tivo.

1. I have two Simple TV boxes, one is version 1 and the second one is version 2. The problem that I had was that the ver 2 box will go offline at random times and to bring it back online it needed a reboot. I fixed that problem with a lamp timer that I configured to restart the box every early morning. Since than I didn't have any problems. It's always online and it records everything.

2. All my Roku boxes, I have three Roku 2 XS, are hard wired, and I don't have any playback problems.

I also have the version 2 box, and I've noticed the same thing - it goes offline for no apparent reason. The lamp timier is a really good idea. I'll give that a try.

Many folks also forget that the free Windows Media Center also includes free 14 day/series EPG! If it took any more than 15 minutes to set-up, I would be surprised! Both my brother and my sister use WMC and it took only a few minutes to show them how it worked. My sister liked it as the interface was similar to her cable DVR.

Many folks also forget that the free Windows Media Center also includes free 14 day/series EPG! If it took any more than 15 minutes to set-up, I would be surprised! Both my brother and my sister use WMC and it took only a few minutes to show them how it worked. My sister liked it as the interface was similar to her cable DVR.
I think it (WMC) isn't free anymore. I think you must have 8.1 Professional (not cheap) and purchase WMC for $10. Still it is a good DVR solution. I have an older brother who can barely program a VCR and loathes computers but is able to manage using WMC (once I set it up for him on an old Win 7 system I repaired).

Unfortunately, Microsoft seems to be turning its back on WMC. Not sure how much longer they will support it. They have chosen to NOT enhance its internet streaming capabilities and most if not all of the internet channels are now gone (except NetFlix?).

DRCars

I have a AM21 set up on my Directv setup. We only have 2 channels in the area (KXGN 5-1 CBS and -2 NBC). I get distants from Los Angeles on my DIrectv account so the AM21 is used for the news and Griz games.

Also if I really need to see something on CBS I can watch it earlier than other mountain time zone areas. Our CBS primetime is from 6-9 each night. That goes back to the analog days when KXGN showed "the best of NBC" from 9-10.

Reactions: Mr Tony
I think it (WMC) isn't free anymore. I think you must have 8.1 Professional (not cheap) and purchase WMC for $10. Still it is a good DVR solution. I have an older brother who can barely program a VCR and loathes computers but is able to manage using WMC (once I set it up for him on an old Win 7 system I repaired).

Unfortunately, Microsoft seems to be turning its back on WMC. Not sure how much longer they will support it. They have chosen to NOT enhance its internet streaming capabilities and most if not all of the internet channels are now gone (except NetFlix?).

DRCars
Correct, but it's still free in Win 7 and continues to work fine for recorded TV. Back when Win 8 first came out, MS was giving away WMC upgrades, and the "Pro" upgrade was only $15. Even though I got about 10 of them, I still run Win 7 on my main HTPC because it's compatible with my 5 Ceton Echo Extenders. Their internet channels always sucked anyway, even when they worked. You can add any internet channels you want using a program called Relaunch, or just use a browser as I do. You have a full PC after all, may as well take advantage of it. Or get a Roku for that kind of thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts