Who Killed the Great American Cable-TV Bundle?

I like that: Word salad.

BTW, the Washington Post refuses to give up on us. About every week, we get mail asking us back. We left years ago, after we realized we only read the funnies and never used their coupons.

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: Tampa8
I like that: Word salad.

BTW, the Washington Post refuses to give up on us. About every week, we get mail asking us back. We left years ago, after we realized we only read the funnies and never used their coupons.

Odd that, I subscribe to their online service just for the funnies!! :)
My morning reading is Washington Post, CNN, Fox News and Breitbart as well as the News and Google's News apps on the iPad. But the WAPO subscription is all about the comics!

Not. Newspapers died when news became so readily available 24/7 on TV and the internet that by the time the paper was printed it was "old news".

I still pick up a newspaper every now and then, but not very often. I happened to pick up a Wall Street Journal as of today. I’d rather have a Washington Times or a New York Post but no vendors in town sell it.

View attachment 134438

This. I’ve been saying this all along. It’s just like the newspaper industry. Instead of cutting costs elsewhere or trying to produce a better product, or (heaven forbid) the CEO take a pay cut, they just keep jacking up the price for the remaining customers until they go out of business. I call that insanity, not sustainability!

This is the reason so many are cord cutting. Now over 50 million that have streaming devices. There are so many choices, the cable/satellite sub does not have.

Reactions: edisonprime
This is the reason so many are cord cutting. Now over 50 million that have streaming devices. There are so many choices, the cable/satellite sub does not have.

I would be mostly 100% streaming if I had better internet access. I'm sure there are others in the same boat. I have some flippant friends who say, "well it's your fault for living in the middle of nowhere, if you want better internet, move closer to the city!" My response is "That's the price I pay to live in paradise!"

That being said, I still love satellite TV; but I'm a hobbyist. I also feel fortunate that Dish has the Welcome Pack. It might be the best deal in satellite TV.

I would be mostly 100% streaming if I had better internet access. I'm sure there are others in the same boat. I have some flippant friends who say, "well it's your fault for living in the middle of nowhere, if you want better internet, move closer to the city!" My response is "That's the price I pay to live in paradise!"

That being said, I still love satellite TV; but I'm a hobbyist. I also feel fortunate that Dish has the Welcome Pack. It might be the best deal in satellite TV.

I’d say within 10 years down the road (or at most, 20) all people will do is stream. Probably even OTA won’t be around anymore eventually. The problem with streaming only and not satellite is that you can’t “move”.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I’d say within 10 years down the road (or at most, 20) all people will do is stream. Probably even OTA won’t be around anymore eventually. The problem with streaming only and not satellite is that you can’t “move”.

Yes you can
..its called a VPN

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Yes you can
..its called a VPN

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

What would be the point of "moving" if OTAs didn't exist anymore? Don't you "move" to get different OTAs?

Not all are based on your IP. Many streaming services now require access to the GPS feature of your device.
Just once, I would like to try streaming while straddling a market boundary (for example, standing right on the boundary between the Cleveland and Columbus market) just to watch it go nuts trying to decide which stream to use.

Reactions: charlesrshell

I am in the same boat, living in NW rural Oregon. I do have Spectrum that gives me 100. I am lucky there, but only because the line runs up hyw 101 North & South. No DSL out here. My only other choices are Cel Tower or satellite. The service from Spectrum is pretty decent, but there are times we lose it. Not as much as in the past. I do stream a lot, but I still have Dish too. Some OTA here (17 channels), but not as much as in a city. (ABC/NBC/CBS/FOX/PBS and sub channels). So many of the cable type channels that stream will not give access without cable or satellite service. So if I dropped Dish, I would have to pick up another service elsewhere. The Super Stations are only on Dish and I like having those. In the future, I will keep looking at the options. But right now I am staying with Dish. One great thing though, with the Roku, Fire TV, etc I do not need to ask Dish for new channels as most as available for streaming, especially the international news channels for free in most cases.

My DSL service was going up to something like $88 per month for 20/1.5 speeds. I refuse to pay that kind of price for internet service (especially for only 20mbps), so I added a Verizon 4G LTE router on one of my unlimited lines for $20/month. After 15gb it slows down to 600kbps, but I don't use it to stream. I use the iPad for that. Saving $68 per month over overpriced crappy DSL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)