Who Killed the Great American Cable-TV Bundle?

Unfortunately Gary either departed of his own volition or was banned from ThePit. :(

I heard a rumor on another site that he frequents that he was banned from the Pit here but I didn't know whether it was true or not. I'm pretty skeptical of most of what I read on the internet. ;)

The majority of those who are cutting the cord do not care about the main cable channels, especially the under 30 crowd who are perfectly happy with Netflix, Hulu, You Tube, Amazon and the like.

My kids are the same way, when they went to college all they and the majority of their friends had broadband, no cable TV., some of my son's friends had a cable box in their rooms and never unwrapped them.

Yes, my adopted son watches Hulu and streams Pandora. But with a number of ads on the cable channels, do we really need most of them?

The problem is that you still need the cable company to provide internet so you can stream your shows.

If the cable operators are not making money selling you cable tv subscriptions, they will make their money selling more expensive internet with data caps.

Comcast, Spectrum, AT&T will continue to buy up media companies such as Time Warner.

Right now streaming is the thing.

People might be saving money today, but the market will correct its self and what you save buying Sling Tv for example your going to pay more for internet.

For those who have other options like DSL they do not depend on cable. I have read 3.0 will bring many more options when it comes to the internet.

It will get to the point where your getting your streaming from the internet providers.

I guess we did get off topic. One thing that has killed the great American cable packages, that since the programmers want so much more per channel, the $100+ bill per sub is killing the big package. Some still bite the bullet to get most, but it is so expensive. Now that the OTA channels want even more, it is killing cable & satellite. Streaming is a lot less, as people discover they do not need all of the channels they get. There has to be a limit and I think we are there. I know of several that used to get AT250. Now they get AT120.

I guess we did get off topic. One thing that has killed the great American cable packages, that since the programmers want so much more per channel, the $100+ bill per sub is killing the big package. Some still bite the bullet to get most, but it is so expensive. Now that the OTA channels want even more, it is killing cable & satellite. Streaming is a lot less, as people discover they do not need all of the channels they get. There has to be a limit and I think we are there. I know of several that used to get AT250. Now they get AT120.
There are not enough unique channels..too much duplication..250 channels should be like a magazine rack..but all we get is reality tv and old repeats if movies and shows

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

After years at $150 or so a month I've done the same. Was at 250. Now Flex with the news pack and no locals. I currently have 'deals' on all the premiums except the movie pack/Epix. That gets the bill under a hundred buck a month and it will drop another $10 when the HBO/Max promo goes away. At $25 I won't miss them at all. My absolute limit is $100 and next year that will include the monthly cost of EI if I decide to subscribe.

Reactions: pattykay
There are not enough unique channels..too much duplication..250 channels should be like a magazine rack..but all we get is reality tv and old repeats if movies and shows

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

That is one reason I went after a Roku. The variety is amazing. So much duplication for having so many channels on Dish. One example is GSN. When they first came on, they had a lot of old B&W game shows I grew up as a kid I liked to see again. I never watch GSN any longer. Buzzr is better for old content. Nick or TV Land used to carry many old B&W shows and I get those now off Decades, Get TV, METV. There is just so little that I like on the regular cable channels these days.The only good thing about the large pack on Dish, the apps to get the channels on demand is a plus.

Reactions: pattykay
That is one reason I went after a Roku. The variety is amazing. So much duplication for having so many channels on Dish. One example is GSN. When they first came on, they had a lot of old B&W game shows I grew up as a kid I liked to see again. I never watch GSN any longer. Buzzr is better for old content. Nick or TV Land used to carry many old B&W shows and I get those now off Decades, Get TV, METV. There is just so little that I like on the regular cable channels these days.The only good thing about the large pack on Dish, the apps to get the channels on demand is a plus.

I may look at Flex Pack, but could I still keep The Super Stations and the Movie Pack?

After years at $150 or so a month I've done the same. Was at 250. Now Flex with the news pack and no locals. I currently have 'deals' on all the premiums except the movie pack/Epix. That gets the bill under a hundred buck a month and it will drop another $10 when the HBO/Max promo goes away. At $25 I won't miss them at all. My absolute limit is $100 and next year that will include the monthly cost of EI if I decide to subscribe.

$100 was always my limit for Home Entertainment ( including broadband) , now it is about $150-1G broadband-$79, Vue $50, Netflix 4K $11.99, Hulu no commercials-$11.99, I wish I could get rid of Live TV ( I never watch it) but my wife would kill me if she lost access to Food Network.

$100 was always my limit for Home Entertainment ( including broadband) , now it is about $150-1G broadband-$79, Vue $50, Netflix 4K $11.99, Hulu no commercials-$11.99, I wish I could get rid of Live TV ( I never watch it) but my wife would kill me if she lost access to Food Network.

I should re-think things with access to the streaming movie services, instead of getting the apps because I sub to Dish. But our internet is not always dependable. That is an issue too. I checked out Flex and it will not do for me. Too many channels I do watch that Flex does not have. Too bad we cannot pick our own package with Dish. Maybe in the future we will be able to do. With Dish the big packages are just getting too expensive. Face it, we are not getting that many new channels either. Used to be I could understand the increase in price as Dish would add a lot of new channels each year. We get very few and the programmers are demand more and more.

Who Killed The Great American Cable TV Bundle?.It started with the cable companies themselves,then when satellite came along the problem got a little worse.The need to charge the extra outlets fee,the franchise fee,DVR fee,guide fee
HD fee,box fee,wire repair fee.The inability of companies to want to embrace the future as in the Cloud DVR as it might be cheaper.
There is alot of blame to go around especially now when they are losing subscribers,but they will never blame themselves,but we will when we subscribe to something cheaper because we embrace the future even though they won't.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Who Killed The Great American Cable TV Bundle?.It started with the cable companies themselves,then when satellite came along the problem got a little worse.The need to charge the extra outlets fee,the franchise fee,DVR fee,guide fee
HD fee,box fee,wire repair fee.The inability of companies to want to embrace the future as in the Cloud DVR as it might be cheaper.
There is alot of blame to go around especially now when they are losing subscribers,but they will never blame themselves,but we will when we subscribe to something cheaper because we embrace the future even though they won't.

The content owners also were very much against the Cloud DVR to start, which slowed things down. As it is, most cloud DVRs replace "recordings" with OnDemand ASAP, which allows them to better monetize the content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)