who still sells a 2.4m petal dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zze110

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 11, 2013
Seattle, WA
Wondering if anybody knows! (My 3.0m mesh dish doesn't fit!)

Only one I can find is the WSI 2.4m dish ~$500 shipped.

Anybody have reviews of this dish or a better alternative? Every other product I've heard about seems to be gone. :(

Wouldn't be my first choice

Tell us what you are going to use the dish for, why you want one, and a price you would like to see.
Maybe we can come up with some alternatives.

What am I going to use it for? To Watch TV
Why I want one? Because I love TV
What price I'd like to see? As low as possible with reasonable shipping.

Now you can think up some alternatives please!

Cheers, K :D

Wondering if anybody knows! (My 3.0m mesh dish doesn't fit!)

Only one I can find is the WSI 2.4m dish ~$500 shipped.

Anybody have reviews of this dish or a better alternative? Every other product I've heard about seems to be gone. :(

Not bad, I got a Sadoun quote of 600$ just for the shipping of a 1.8m

My Sadoun 1.8m cost $85.79 to ship, and included the optional ground mount. It comes in a pretty small box, and went via UPS. I think a zero was added by accident to your quote...

Date : 21 Jun 2012 - 01:33
Order ID : ********

Payment by Paypal

Product : Quantity : Price
(SD180PM,P76) Sadoun 180cm C-Band Dish with Polar Mount : 1 : 149.00

Discount : -22.35
Subtotal : 126.65
Shipping : 85.79
TOTAL : 212.44

GREAT (new) dish for the money, but at the end of the day, it's still only 6ft. However if it's all a person can fit, I can recommend it. MUCH better built than that $99 WSI throw-away dish.

Last edited:

LoL mine cost $160 something including the 6ft dish shipped back in 2008

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Tell us what you are going to use the dish for, why you want one, and a price you would like to see.
Maybe we can come up with some alternatives.
What for... TV, I have a c/ku lnbf to use already.
Price... depends. Don't want to go over $1k. I have heard fortec 2.4m and geosatpro 2.4m bounced around the forum but those dishes appear to be long discontinued.

I'd be open to a used dish too if somebody is willing to ship it. (nobody seems to sell these!)

So far the WSI is the cheapest and only option I have found under $1k.

Why don't you scan through this thread to see what we've been finding and liking this year?
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/304781-more-Craigslist-dishes-for-your-perusal
Then, I'd recommend you monitor it daily for good deals in your area.
Nice used BUDs go for $100-150 (that's all I'd pay), and come WITH a motor.
If that's an alternative you are open to, I would recommend maybe a one-piece spun aluminum (I have both a solid and a perf), or maybe a segmented perf (eg: Winegard Pinnacle 10' perf) , or segmented solid molded (Channel Master / Andrew).
This is not to say that a nice 10' mesh is bad, by any means. :)
Just reflecting personal preference.
And, and extra points if you find one on a horizon-to-horizon mount (both dishes in my signature are!). :up
You didn't give any reason for a new nor solid petal, so i ignored those points. ;)

My Sadoun 1.8m cost $85.79 to ship, and included the optional ground mount. It comes in a pretty small box, and went via UPS. I think a zero was added by accident to your quote...

GREAT (new) dish for the money, but at the end of the day, it's still only 6ft. However if it's all a person can fit, I can recommend it. MUCH better built than that $99 WSI throw-away dish.

I wish, the only option for my address was UPS overnight for 600$.

Doesn't really matter. Sadoun is out of the 6' dishes anyway. Just has some various parts left. Global along with Manhattan sat apparently bought the machinery and tooling from SAMI when they went defunct and have been planning for a couple of years now to start making them again. I've been in touch with them recently and they still want to do it but apparently a lot of hurdles in the way. Another option is dishes from Anderson manufacturing. http://www.anderseninc.com/satellite/prime.htm I asked him recently about the 6' dishes ( they still make the bigger ones) and this is what he replied with;

We are still here. I still offer a 6'10" Model P610 w/ polar mount. I can also supply the 6' P6. This is new product. The cost is as follows.

P6 antenna
Polar mount
Crate charge
Freight

Total for P6 antenna package $985.00

P610 antenna
Polar mount
Crate Charge
Freight

Total for P610 antenna package $1080.00

Let me know if I can help you further.

Ray Phillips
Andersen Mfg, Inc.
208-523-6460

Thats a lot of coin to spend on a hobby.

True dat. However, I'm still currently spending $70 a month with DirecTv and I really don't watch it that much. Canceling DirecTv and going with a new system I can still have it paid for in about a year and then it starts to save me $. Of course there will be some things your not going to get to see on FTA but most of the various sports that I like to watch are usually available on a network feed that your going to see between Cband and KU.

Buds don't let buds buy six foot BUDs

The man asked for an 8' dish.
I might have expected suggestions he consider 10' instead. :)
All this talk of 6' dishes is totally distracting!
A 6'er fixed on a particular bird is one thing.
As a general purpose full-arc dish, it leaves a lot to be desired.
?Especially when a larger dish can be had for the same trouble. :up

Who has 8' dishes with a polar mount then? Not a lot of info because there doesn't seem to be any. I'm looking myself and about the only thing advertised are the 6' dishes and the ones that are advertising them don't have any more. Most of the ones on the net were advertised several years ago and they are no longer available. About the only ones I've found are from Anderson that I shared on an earlier post and he quoted almost 1K for the 6' dish delivered so I shudder to think what the 8' to 10' dishes run. The only other lead was from Mike at Global Communications with the restart of the mesh dish production but they've been working on that for a few years now so who knows when those will be on the market. If you want to go commercial quality there are a lot of options but your looking at several thousand dollars on up.

The OP can purchase the Chinese made 240cm Digiwave stationary petal dish from a Canadian seller on eBay. A Canadian etailer also sells the polar mount separately.

In addition to Andersen, may also want to look into DH satellite if you're willing to go a tad over that $1000 budget. They gave me a quote of ~$1200 something for a polar sectional 2.4m antenna shipped (without the extras such as the actuator). And I think the one piece was $100 less.

I myself haven't had any luck finding any used mesh dishes in good condition locally or with craigslist. Not sure if I want to deal with another cheap quality petal dish after assembling the WSI bargain 6fter. If Mike Kohl ends up not resurrecting the sami or knockdown dishes I may get one from Andersen.

Not sure if I want to deal with another cheap quality petal dish after assembling the WSI bargain 6fter.

I'm trying to get some C band capability and I only have room for a 6. I was considering the WSI as a starter dish. Is the problem general flimsiness, poor assembly fit, both or something else? BTW, Sadoun is still showing 6' on the web for $149.00 (While supplies last)

Sadoun is out of the 6' dishes and only has parts left and you can't buy from WSI you have to go through a distributor. If you go to Galaxy Marketing which is the prime WSI distributor you see their 6' 'cheapie' dish but they haven't had those for a few years now either as they sold them all but they leave the ad up. I called them and talked to the guy at the warehouse in Georgia I think it was and he said that he has asked his boss to update the website a number of times but they still leave it up there. They do advertise the 2.4 meter petal dish but it's a fixed mount and I didn't ask if they had any of them. Now if they had that dish and also sold a polar mount......

There a a lot of 'cheap' 6' and 8' dishes from China and even mesh dishes! Yet it seems like nobody in the U.S. imports them for some strange reason. I've found a lot of places in Europe, New Zealand, Australia, ect that has C-Band dishes but almost nobody in the U.S. I guess they think that just about everyone has gone to the pizza pan dishes now. And for the China dishes you have to buy in bulk in order to get the shipping prices reasonable. As an end consumer I don't think you can buy one. If I had the money I'd get a shipping container of 8' mesh dishes and go into business. I bet you could do a nice markup on them and still keep the prices reasonable. There are so many people even on these forums that would love to get one I don't think you would have a problem selling them. There are still some used dishes available of course but most of the ones in my area have already disappeared. They are already 20 to 30 years old and when the owner goes to a pizza pan dish they throw away the big dish thinking it's a relic not knowing that there is a lot still out there.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts