Whole Home and network requirements

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jps01

Original poster
Nov 29, 2010
Middle Georgia
Hi all. Nice forum you have here. I'm kinda new to the DTV world so I guess we can chalk this up to me being a noob. I look forward to stuffing my head with some very useful info from here...
I recently had it installed with whole home DVR running from an HR22-100 but I neglected to have networking done at install time. So after I go to the DTV website to find compatible equip to hook up my wireless it tells me I have to have it professionally installed to the tune of $80 due to the whole home...
My questions are these:
1- Why can't I hook up a WET610N to the second RJ45 jack on the back of the box and be up and running? (and why are there 2 of em there in the first place?:confused:)
2- Does the professional install require a special piece of additional equipment that I simply can't purchase outright?
and
3- Can I have both hooked up or is it a pipe dream?

I'll place my advanced "thank you" here to those of you that decide to respond...:)

1) You can't do that with a DECA installed Whole Home DVR. Doing so would most likely cause your whole network to mess up.
Without DECA, the second ethernet port could be used as a simple pass through, but even there it doesn't work too well. That second port uses CPU cycles from the DVR to work and thus performance can suffer.
2) I would call and tell the CSR that you had the Whole Home DVR installed and that the connection kit to the internet wasn't done. Whether tehy will supply it for free is a whole different matter.
3) See 1 above.

BTW, :welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the quick response and the info jdspencer. I guess I sort of knew it going in but I just had to find out from the vast knowledge here for it to sink in. I'll be giving them a call shortly to schedule the pro install. Thanks again and I look forward to the exchanges of info here. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute some soon and pay it forward.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts