Whole Home DVR issue

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

GoWulfpack919

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
NC
When I first got DTV back in Oct, I had DSL internet. The whole home DVR setup was a breeze as they tied the DECA broadband adapter in with my wireless router which of course was connected to my DSL modem that ran off of a phone line.. I had coax cable spliced at the wall...one running to my HR 24/200 and the other running to the DECA broadband adapter. No problems...everything worked like a charm as I was able to retrieve recorded shows from the DVR in the downstairs master and more importantly record shows via my smartphone.

Over this past weekend, I decided to ditch my DSL in favor of Roadrunner from Time Warner Cable. When the TWC tech arrived, he told me DTV and TWC couldn't splice off the same coax jack in my bonus room (where everything is located). He said he had to bring the internet in via a coax jack that wasn't being used by DTV. So he installed my Cable modem and wireless router in a spare bedroom. Internet works great, DTV is still the same but now I have no whole home DVR service. I knew this would be an issue but I didn't bother with it over the weekend.

Since I figured there has to be a way, today I called DTV to ask them to help me get my whole home DVR configuration figured out. As I figured would be the case, the tech on the phone couldn't really understand what I was trying to explain in terms of my setup. However, at the end of the call, she said she would send a wireless adapter to connect to my Cable modem and it would communicate with my HR24 in my bonus room. Does this sound right? I've never heard or read about such a contraption. Is this my only option? I know I'm can't be the only person on the planet with Cable broadband internet and DirecTv whole home DVR.

It seems there has to be an easier way. :confused:

Last edited:
The wireless adapter should be the cure. Attaches to DVR and communicates with a WIRELESS router even if it is in another room. I think you let the TW guy off the hook a little too easily. Had you insisted he would have run coax to the current router location to provide internet there so as to not interrupt your DTV service. To continue useing the BB Deca you have then DTV would have to run coax to the room TW installed your internet in. If DTV is sending the wireless adapter to you at no cost you are getting a deal.

Thanks for the reply. Just so I understand, you are saying the wireless adapter will connect to the DVR? My DVR is in the downstairs master, my internet/wireless router is in a spare upstairs bedroom and my HR-24 is in the upstairs bonus room. So three different rooms for three different pieces of equipment. I can't visualize in my head how it can all tie together.

Edit: I may have figured it out after reading this link.

http://www.directv.com/images/assets/quickstarts/DOD/Linksys_QuickInstallGuide.pdf

So if I'm understanding this correctly, I will have this adapter attached to my DVR downstairs and via the coax throughout my house walls, it will allow me to access my recorded shows on my HR24 upstairs in my bonus room.

Last edited:
I gather that you are confusing 2 different features. The wireless Broadband Deca ties your DVR to your internet so you can access DTV On Demand or CinemaPlus. Downloads movies, shows, etc. to your DVR from the internet....without a physical connection. That is what your BroadBand Deca did....but was hardwired to your router. Not the same as Multi Room Veiwing which is sharing of material recorded on your DVR(s). That said...content downloaded to DVR thru CinemaPlus can be viewed in other locations if you have Multi-room Viewing. To add a little confusion....the HR24s have Decas built into them.

So should I be able to access my DVR from upstairs right now? I tried yesterday and it said I couldn't. I was under the impression I needed an internet feed in order to network my two receivers.

Last edited:
In addition to not knowing how you are actually connected or if correctly; if you are talking about MRV, do you have that service activated on your account?

Yes, it worked perfectly prior to changing my ISP.

Were you connected using the coax connection between the receivers or using a Ethernet line connected into the back of each receiver? If you were using the standard coax connection, having or not having an Internet connection makes no difference on MRV working or not.

Were you connected using the coax connection between the receivers or using a Ethernet line connected into the back of each receiver? If you were using the standard coax connection, having or not having an Internet connection makes no difference on MRV working or not.

Holy cow...I feel dumb now. I just went back to the same screen I was at last night and did an extra click and it is now working. Thanks for everyone's help.

point being... you cant always blame the cable guy :p were not all that bad, and all the good ones are former satellite techs like myself haha. and to comment on running the line into the bonus room for internet, look at this from an installers point of view. its quite possible that the line was not feasible or possible to run. inside and outside walls, wall fishes etc, the cust possibly not wanting another line or holes drilled in his house. If i was the TW Tech, i would have done exactly what OP said was done. Job complete no issues. as stated before MRV has nothing to do with an internet connection, therefore was not the techs responsibility. The tech actually knew what he was doing by not trying to diplex or anything similiar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)