Whole Home DVR Not Working - Need Advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It works fine now (obviously) but without that DECA dongle on the HR21 it is worthless at this point. BTW I did have On Demand working by just running wired ethernet to my router at one point but I knew that was not a long-term solution as I wanted whole-home and such, and would need to use DECA networking at some point.

If the Ethernet wire to your router is still there, just plug it in to your HR21, and you don't need the decca adapter for that box. As long as the home cinema kit and HR21 ethernet are run to the same router, they will see each other. Ethernet is a better connection anyway.

If the Ethernet wire to your router is still there, just plug it in to your HR21, and you don't need the decca adapter for that box. As long as the home cinema kit and HR21 ethernet are run to the same router, they will see each other. Ethernet is a better connection anyway.
Point well taken! Granted it is the "unsupported" version, but it should work just fine and his whole home should light right up. I should have caught that too. Then he can call D* and get them to send him the DECA for backup.

Darn, would that really work? My understanding was that having the ethernet connected disables DECA and thus my receiver in the bedroom would not be able to see and communicate with the HD DVR; I will give it a try and see what happens.

Yes, it will work. The issue with putting the internet connection directly into the back of the receiver only applies to the H/HR24 models where doing so disconnects the internal DECA. A DECA only converts the twisted pair signal to something that can move over the coax and back. In your case you can insert the internet to the back of you HR21 and things should be OK. But, like said before, it is "unsupported". So you can't call with problems. But, we can certainly help.

Yes, it will work. The issue with putting the internet connection directly into the back of the receiver only applies to the H/HR24 models where doing so disconnects the internal DECA. A DECA only converts the twisted pair signal to something that can move over the coax and back. In your case you can insert the internet to the back of you HR21 and things should be OK. But, like said before, it is "unsupported". So you can't call with problems. But, we can certainly help.

Well I'll be, what an easy fix. Sure enough, it came right up. Didn't even need to reboot the HD DVR...

I will still be looking to get a DECA just in case but glad to be up and running for now. I appreciate all the help here, this is a fantastic place. Thanks!

Point well taken! Granted it is the "unsupported" version, but it should work just fine and his whole home should light right up. I should have caught that too. Then he can call D* and get them to send him the DECA for backup.
The only reason it is usupported is that DirecTV doesn't want to take any responsibility for the customers home network. Their techs are not trained in router and network configuration, and Directv doesn't want to be blamed for screwing up someones home network. By using decca and only making one connection to the customers network, they save themselves a lot of headaches.

The only reason it is usupported is that DirecTV doesn't want to take any responsibility for the customers home network. Their techs are not trained in router and network configuration, and Directv doesn't want to be blamed for screwing up someones home network. By using decca and only making one connection to the customers network, they save themselves a lot of headaches.
:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts