Whole Home Viewing without Internet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

NutFlush920

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2007
Green Bay, WI
My buddy has DirecTV and lives in an area where high speed internet isn't available. He has 2 HR21's and a H20. First off, is there any way he can do whole home DVR without needing Internet or running Ethernet to each receiver and secondly, can the H20 access the shared playlists from the HR21's if he can do whole home DVR?

From what I read online it should be as simple as getting these right?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439095468.332803.jpg

Yes, whole home can be used without internet. If he has a swim setup, then it shouldn't be a problem. He will just need decas. Otherwise he will have to have a whole home installation to convert to swim. The decas will be necessary on all the receivers but they're included in the install. He may even be able to get a genie and that'll take care of everything

Call directv and see if you can get a discounted upgrade.

The older equipment might work for DVR whole home viewing, but I think you will have a better experience upgrading to atleast an HR24 and either H24 or H25 receivers.

I read that the H20 can't do MRV even with DECA. So I guess the only question remaining is if he hooks a DECA to each of the HR21's, does the need a router too to be connected via a 3rd DECA or will he HR21's talk to each other via the DECA's? He has SWIM and 1 coax to each box with no Ethernet ran to either.

I read that the H20 can't do MRV even with DECA. So I guess the only question remaining is if he hooks a DECA to each of the HR21's, does the need a router too to be connected via a 3rd DECA or will he HR21's talk to each other via the DECA's? He has SWIM and 1 coax to each box with no Ethernet ran to either.
Right on! The H20 can't do MRV due to lack of NIC card of any kind

The HR21s can "network" themselves without the need of a router, just by installing the DECAs and of course having SWM as the "backbone"

the Broaband deca or Wireless Deca is strictly used to connect the SWiM network to your home internet. the receiver deca's are what allow receivers to connect to the SWiM network. since you don't have to connect to the internet, you dont need a BB deca or wireless deca at all. you just need to get two receiver deca's connected to the HR21's. as everyone else was saying, he should probably check to see if he cant get the boxes replaced for a better viewing experience.

Check out the "My Wireless TV". Works great with DTV for me. Gives full fuction of DTV box to a remote tv. Got mine at Best Buy. Also can find on Ebay and Amazon. One time purchase and no monthly fees.

the Broaband deca or Wireless Deca is strictly used to connect the SWiM network to your home internet. the receiver deca's are what allow receivers to connect to the SWiM network. since you don't have to connect to the internet, you dont need a BB deca or wireless deca at all. you just need to get two receiver deca's connected to the HR21's. as everyone else was saying, he should probably check to see if he cant get the boxes replaced for a better viewing experience.
Not quite there. You can def use a CCK-W to connect a single receiver to the internet in legacy systems.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)