Whole house DVR (MRV?) question. Just ordered....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

badtlc

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 19, 2010
kansas city
The installation date is 2 weeks away, but I have ordered new D* service with MVR service, 1 HD DVR, and 1 HD receiver (2 HD TVs total) and the home cinema kit.

What I need is to be able to record 4 different channels at once, but be able to watch all of the recording at either TV. The rep on the phone said I only needed one DVR for this because the 2nd HD Receiver tuner provides the recording capabilities for the 2 extra channels to the DVR. Since I am here, I obviously don't believe this. Do I need to change my order to two HD DVRs?

If I do need to get two DVRs, will I be able to watch all recordings from either tv? Thanks in advance!

I believe the HD DVR can only handle 2 recordings at one time. I would contact another CSR to verify this. You will probably have to order 2 HD-DVRs and 1 HD receiver to pull this off.

Report back....

Thanks for the quick reply.

Why would I need 3 receivers? I only have 2 TVs. Is it not possible to just have 2 HD DVRs?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Why would I need 3 receivers? I only have 2 TVs. Is it not possible to just have 2 HD DVRs?

I'll let someone else answer this because i'm not 100% sure.

It all depends if you want to record 4 things at once while watching a 5th live show (which it probably won't allow you to) or something already recorded (which you may be able to).

Ah, no, I don't need that. I only need to record 4 at once, or record 3 and watch 1 live. Thanks.

Last edited:
One more question, how many coax cables need to be run to an HD DVR? Witih E*, it only need one and was then split into two signals at the DVR/Receiver. I'm hoping D* is the same because it wouldn't be easy to run a 2nd coax.

One more question, how many coax cables need to be run to an HD DVR? Witih E*, it only need one and was then split into two signals at the DVR/Receiver. I'm hoping D* is the same because it wouldn't be easy to run a 2nd coax.

With DirecTV's SWM and MRV technology you only need 1 cable for the whole house as long as all the drops are wired back to a central place in/on the house.

Ted

I believe with the SVM technology, you have one wire from the dish that runs to a 'switch'. From there it is one wire to each HD-DVR. Not sure if it gets split before it goes into the back of the DVR.

Thank you very much for the help. Everyone has been a great help. I figured D* had single coax capabilities now but wanted to make sure. All my rooms do meet up at a common point in the basement so install should be quite easy.

Now I need to figure out if I need to do anything special to accommodate the bridge to my home network. I might need to find a new location for my router depending on what is required.

They'll want to do a cable run to your router. I just had an install last Thursday. I believe the SWM switch is built in at the dish location as I have no visible SWM switch.
Single coax from dish location to a splitter (Mine looks like an 8-way splitter). From splitter there is a single coax to each DVR (or receiver) location. Single coax connection right to the DVR (no diplexer behind the receiver). Also from splitter, one coax run to my router where they install the DECA (which also needs to be plugged into an electrical outlet).

Done deal. MRV is awesome. I took my OTA antenna direct to my TV. If you have OTA reception in your area, you can then still record 4 things and also watch something from the antenna direct to your TV. It just gave me a little more flexibility for those times I get over-exuberant about recording lots of things at the same time. :)

Also check out Directv2PC. A program you can download from DirecTV that allows you to access your DVR from a computer in your home and watch stuff off the DVR. It's pretty neat.

To record 4 things, you needed 2 HD DVRs, correct?

Thanks. Sounds like you answered my network question perfectly. I think I'll relocate my router to make the install easier since I was going to be moving the office someday anyway.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Can I connect 6 TVs on 2 Receivers

HR24 series recording

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)