Whole House DVR Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rapbanker

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2006
I'm currently a Dish customer with Dual Tuner HD DVR's. I like being able to record 1 show and watch another at the same time from a single TV. Is this possible from the whole house DVR setup, or will I have to visit a receiver in Room 2 to record a show while watching Room 1 live?

No, you can record a program and watch another on the same TV with the HR series. To do that, you dont even need the whole home DVR.

What the whole home DVR does is allows you to watch stuff off of say your living room DVR, on another rooms receiver without having a DVR in that location.

I don't know, maybe I'm reading it wrong, but to me it sounds like you want to be able to set a recording from a remote (non-DVR) TV without having to go to the DVR. If that is what you are asking, the answer is yes, MRV will allow you to set up recordings on the DVR from any HD receiver (SD boxes do not have MRV capability). In fact, DirecTV's DVR is much better thatn Dish's in that you can record TWO programs at the same time, and not have it interfere with what you are watching in the other room like it would with your current setup.

Whole home aka Multi room viewing aka MRV (I hate the name whole home as it is misleading).

Allows you to watch recorded shows from other rooms with MRV compatible receivers.

So, a basic set up would be a HD/DVR and a HD receiver.
This would allow you to record 1-2 shows at the same time on the HD/DVR
This would also allow you to watch something different on the HD receiver
The only downfall is in the remote room, you will not be able to pause/RR/FF live TV (although you can do this with recorded show.

The system really is far superior to Dish Networks for many reasons.

What is best Receiver with this plan and DIRECTV CINEMAplus?
Leased Receiver CHOICE ULTIMATE HBO STARZ SHOWTIME and CINEMAX HD Access DVR Service DIRECTV Whole-Home DVR Service DIRECTV on DEMAND AT&T Customer Savings* Free HD Access 3 Mos Free STARZ/SHOWTIME 3 Months Free HBO/MAX

Doesn't matter as there is no guarantee on what model you get unless you want to buy it.

Ok, I thought one of the HR/HD receivers was better than the other. Thanks for the info. Reason I'm checking we're getting D**** installed tomorrow 12-04:00pm

I guess that mean I have no choice in the matter. D*** determine what receiver you get.
Again Thanks

Yes and no

It isn't that Direct determines what receiver you get, it has to do with availability.
Basically, luck of the draw.

Also, you do have a choice, but most people don't like to have to buy receivers.

That being said, most of what we have down here for the last couple weeks are 24 series receivers which in some ways are the best (they are the newest).
However, previous models have some advantages too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts