Whooo Hoo - another dish!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

KevinAPB

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 12, 2007
Had my eye on this one for a while, after the katrina mess in lakeview my friend wound up buying the old post office property which came with a nice dish. The dish is setup to receive Ku and transmit Ku. Tron helped me get it down, the roof mount was genius and so simple yet remained firm even through the storm. So I have my C band pointed at 58W and this one is going straight on 97W for the ton of Ku stuff..

I was lucky to have a vent pipe (on the roof at home) which is well anchored that fit the mount pole perfectly, two holes, tapped and insert lock bolts. Install done. Well except the angle and then there is the Hughes LNB Tron insists on me using, dual polarity or something but the flange dont mate perfectly, I can get only two screws into the LNB, is it ok for me to stick this flange in my mill and cut two correct holes to match the two I already have?:confused:

There is again another issue, this LNB dont fir the mount well, the front half of the mount clamps down good to the LNB Feedhorn but the back dont touch at all, the I.D. of the back mount is about 1/8th inch too great in diameter.

What to do? I am sorry but I cant even remember what Tron said this Dish was but its standard on any post office or gas station from what he says. Looks to be the same if I had to guess..

I am very new here so any help is appreciated..

Kevin

how ... big ... is ... it ... ?

You know the drill.

"Will work for pictures"

Last edited:
You know the drill.

"Will work for pictures"

You know, I was going to do that but it was freezing cold last night, went from the 80's during the day to 54 at night and very breezy. Us cajun redneck nerds need some adjusting time. Good enough excuse??

I happen to be headed out in a little while and I am going to take pictures of the problems and see what you fellas can come up with - maybe even before Tron wakes up at 4PM this evening..

How about pictures of some anoles? I have hundreds of them out back.
My dog chases them all over the yard and it drives me nuts. We had a serious population explosion of those thing down here.

Kevin

Don't let the dogs chase the noles' You need to put up more dishes, they love climbing up the poles and hanging out in the sun, plus they have shadey places when it gets too hot on 'em too. I made one sick the other day, running my 7.5dish back and forth trying to line up the arc, so he climbed down lol.

Pictures

You know the drill.

"Will work for pictures"

Here are the promised pictures of the dish we obtained yesterday. The LNB that came with it is pictured attached to the transmitter, the Hughes is screwed into the feedhorn with only two screws because those are the only two holes that mate up. The other problem is the mount is larger in diameter then the hughes LNB and I need dual polarity.

What to do...

Attachments

• DSC09906.JPG
    DSC09906.JPG
    221.9 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC09912.JPG
    DSC09912.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 170
  • DSC09913.JPG
    DSC09913.JPG
    418.4 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC09911.JPG
    DSC09911.JPG
    239.8 KB · Views: 162
  • DSC09909.JPG
    DSC09909.JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC09908.JPG
    DSC09908.JPG
    330.9 KB · Views: 153
Don't let the dogs chase the noles' You need to put up more dishes, they love climbing up the poles and hanging out in the sun, plus they have shadey places when it gets too hot on 'em too. I made one sick the other day, running my 7.5dish back and forth trying to line up the arc, so he climbed down lol.

I keep fussing at her to stop and I do love the wildlife, we have thousands of lose parrots here too, another issue was katrina set free some BIG parrots and they are just like rosters, every morning someone up in one of the trees screams "help me" and it drives me crazy!!!!!!!!!!seriously..

So I am getting there, I have this new dish and I want it looking at 97W all the time, the issue is the Hughes LNB mounting up properly, both the flange and the mount. Two screws on the flange is enough for me since they are crushing the rubber O-ring good but the mount leaves me concerned, its ID is just a wee bit on the large side to grab hold of the rear of the Hughes LNB, its just able to be held by the neck of the feedhorn..

Does anyone know the Inclination and what to subtract for this type of dish? Its just up there generally pointed, I have to level the mount and set the angles still. Thanks!!

So . . .

You're showing the post office feedhorn (round on front) attached to the Hughes LNB, eh?
I'd go with those two existing screws.
If you're that anal, it's obviously possible to put two more holes in the feedhorn, but if it seals now, I'd move on.
Just my opinion - if anyone else has ever had a problem with that, speak up.

And as for the mounting the whole thing . . .
If you could hold the Hughes LNB in the same picture as the LNB mount, we might get a bit better understanding of the sizes.

More camera angles on that LNB mount wouldn't hurt, either.
Looks ugly, but it apparently survived the storm, so it must be pretty tough.
Is the Hughes long enough that you could just shim it at the back end?

Remember, this dish has no skew adjustments, so you'll have to make sure the LNB assembly is lose enough to twist for skew, when you aim the dish.
If it were on a motor, then of course, the skew would be taken care of by itself.

If that dish is really 6 or 6.5 feet across, then it's kinda overkill for Ku.
On the other hand, it's probably going to give you a good signal throughout the next big storm!
(no rain-fade)

I've had my eye on some similar 6 ft dishes, and my intention after testing 'em on Ku, was to try C-band.

Those little Carolina Anoles we have in the south east US are pretty tiny, and very skittish.
But even if in the worst case, they were to infest your house, they aren't really a problem.
Unless you just freak out on seeing them.
They eat bugs, and generally clean up the environment.
My avatar is made from the picture below.

Attachments

• h_green_dewlap.jpg
    h_green_dewlap.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 155
So . . .

You're showing the post office feedhorn (round on front) attached to the Hughes LNB, eh?
I'd go with those two existing screws.
If you're that anal, it's obviously possible to put two more holes in the feedhorn, but if it seals now, I'd move on.
Just my opinion - if anyone else has ever had a problem with that, speak up.

And as for the mounting the whole thing . . .
If you could hold the Hughes LNB in the same picture as the LNB mount, we might get a bit better understanding of the sizes.

More camera angles on that LNB mount wouldn't hurt, either.
Looks ugly, but it apparently survived the storm, so it must be pretty tough.
Is the Hughes long enough that you could just shim it at the back end?

Remember, this dish has no skew adjustments, so you'll have to make sure the LNB assembly is lose enough to twist for skew, when you aim the dish.
If it were on a motor, then of course, the skew would be taken care of by itself.

If that dish is really 6 or 6.5 feet across, then it's kinda overkill for Ku.
On the other hand, it's probably going to give you a good signal throughout the next big storm!
(no rain-fade)

I've had my eye on some similar 6 ft dishes, and my intention after testing 'em on Ku, was to try C-band.

Those little Carolina Anoles we have in the south east US are pretty tiny, and very skittish.
But even if in the worst case, they were to infest your house, they aren't really a problem.

No No.. This is a 3-4 foot dish.. Sorry.

I am going up right now to take some pictures of what I have done so far, its only a matter of time till Tron comes over and figures this thing out. I just would like to get something up and going on my own, being so new to this its important I have hands on.

As for the Anoles, I love them, yes they are in my attic and all over the outside of the house and I am happyu to see so many, my dog keeps chasing them up the bricks but she is going to learn to stop soon enough.

More pictures

This is the little dish that just wont I have a feeling lol.. Hope these pictures help, my neighbors are feeling strange seeing two rather large dishes go up in such a short span of one week in addition to the 3 others I have up for DBS lol..

I wonder what they are thinking lol..

Attachments

• DSC09919.JPG
    DSC09919.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC09918.JPG
    DSC09918.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 129
  • DSC09917.JPG
    DSC09917.JPG
    75.4 KB · Views: 134
  • DSC09915.JPG
    DSC09915.JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC09916.JPG
    DSC09916.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 120
  • DSC09914.JPG
    DSC09914.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 140
So . . .

Not to get OT here but they are everywhere!!

So yes pictured WAS the PO LNB for reference, I am trying to use the Hughes so I can have dual polarity, I still need confirmation on inclination and such.

Thanks!

Attachments

• anole.jpg
    anole.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 163
More pics again

Here is a contrast and please do not draw conclusions on either the mess or the art on my shed please.. Observe the dishes :) This is the difference between August and October here, we actually can get out and clean up with out passing out or getting heat stroke.

Its a great before and after not to mention seeing that bud wasting away there like that was killing me. Took five of us to life it over the house and onto the pole..

Attachments

• DSC09806.JPG
    DSC09806.JPG
    771.5 KB · Views: 154
  • DSC09920.JPG
    DSC09920.JPG
    914.5 KB · Views: 160
1). if someone moved in next to me, and put a hammer and sickle on their shed, along with a radiation sign...
I might think they were either quite mad...
... or just call the police and be done with 'em! - :D

2). the pictures I've seen of Primestar dishes (similar to yours) generally mount the feedhorn, and have the actual LNB hanging off the back side.
So..... as long as you don't put any too much strain in the LNB/cable/connection, I'd leave it as is.
Contrary opinions are welcome. - :cool:

3). I know you are worrying about the offset of the dish.
Assume it is in the 22º to 26º range. That's typical.
Start out with 24º and see how it works for you.
If you can't read anything molded or printed on the back of the dish, so as to be able to look it up and find specs on the internet, then...
Just tune up on any reasonable bird you can find...
Measure the tilt on the back of the dish where your inclinometer is now.
Knowing the actual elevation of the bird you've chosen, you can work out the dish-offset to the last degree. - :up

Kevin, measure your dish mesh's size, and how many pieces it came in, I've got almost a complete old Janiel Dark Star 8' that I don't have a mount for, the mesh might work for you. I'll measure them Sat morning and we'll see.
Can't remember right away how big the mesh is, but I think it's small enough to do ku. PM me when you get the dimensions.

Its backwards and a contrast to the cold war fallout sign, meant to be art not political at all, I am as red blooded american as they come. I know my next door neighbors well, he is a state police man and I was a police officer in new orleans, we are close actually. Its the old couple behind us (the neighborhood nuts - seriously) plus the new couple that bought the house behind us. neither really know anything about us except a bunch of dishes popped up. Aside though,there is nothing political about some of the stuff I do and have shown, I am a patriot, no doubt about it lol. Art and dry humor aside...:p

I agree with the pointing, I think I am just going to hit my due south sat and peek the dish that way, its what we used to setup the bud.
I cant get the feedhorn to clamp straight though, that is going to require literally a hammer and anvil possibly to the top piece of the mount. The old rusted bolts all broke off and struggling with one I believe I bent the top of the mount. I have to get it inside in the shop to see. Tron looked at it earlier this evening and scratched his head.. He is coming back over later, we are going to mess around with it a little..

Kevin, measure your dish mesh's size, and how many pieces it came in, I've got almost a complete old Janiel Dark Star 8' that I don't have a mount for, the mesh might work for you. I'll measure them Sat morning and we'll see.
Can't remember right away how big the mesh is, but I think it's small enough to do ku. PM me when you get the dimensions.

I was looking so I could remesh Tron's new Bud he rolled home at 2AM some many nights back, its got a good box tubing frame and just needs some mesh.

I figured someone on here would have a source for that dish mesh in rolls or sheets...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)