Whos got a Slingbox?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone told me that a cell phone company is supposed to launch a high speed internet service soon in my area but I do not know the truth in that. Is there an announced release of this anywhere?

Yes, but I know Verizon is updating their EVDO to new locations all the time. But you didn't ask which location. Maybe peole can help you if you ask stating which cell phone company you are interested in and where you would like to see that service. But, IMO, I have had the best luck in calling the tech support people at the specified phone company and asking, when do you plan on activating xyz city / area to EVDO or whatever service they are offering? Most of the time they will tell you if they have a target date. In some cases they just don't have it in the works and have no idea. That should be interpreted to mean you'll be waiting for a long time. I waited for Verizon's EVDO service until they went from 30 cities to over 170 before jumping on board. I called monthly but waited until they had the service in all the cities I needed during my regular travels.

sling is lucky to get low res SD. Now you ask for HDTV? What sort of ISP are you using where you have all that speed to do HDTV streaming?

You can use the SD analog outs of many HD sat boxes (i.e. E* 942) to output downrezed (but still good looking) letterboxed "HD" or even anamorphic simultaneously w/ the real HD out. I'm hoping that the same feed I send my DVD recorder will work well for remote viewing via the Slingbox.

How good is the video when viewed remotely? I've never been a fan of "Internet video" as it always looks very poor. Can the Slingbox be customized to provide quality video streams? I've considered getting one of these. My Internet connection is 15Mbit(down)/2Mbit(up) with Verizon FiOS, so I should have plenty of bandwidth for quality video.

Now I just need another one of these for my aunts house in San Diego, so I can watch Padres games on Channel 4 SD.

I think the latest softyware and firmware upgrade has done wonders for quality, especially when the bit rate of the connection takes a dive, the current recovery rate is quite rapid. Of course, I'm comparing this to a benchmark of how it looked just a month ago when I first got into Sling box.

Internet streaming video is really not about high quality at all. That's what HDTV broadcast is all about. The main purpose of internet video is to make the content, communication available to a wide variety of audiences, on demand. While PQ often suffers, it is considered good enough in most cases to be successful in this purpose. The internet video is best viewed on small screens, like PDA's and windowed laptops, certainly not 1080i FPTV on a 120" screen. :D I do webcasting as part of my business and I can say it is very well accepted because the sales results from it are phenomenal. The only complaints I get are when the viewer's connection speeds dip too low and they complain about constant buffering. that causes hesitation in the playback. That's with my Video on demand service but the sling system is like live TV and as such MUST have consistent high bandwidth or it fails. The whole thing is still a compromise but if your expectations are realistic, you can be quite entertained by sling,even with EVDO on Verizon. I use that with my laptop and it works great with the new software version. Earlier versions, IMO, required wifi minimum.

Let me be the first here to offer this to all Sling enthusiasts-

http://www.slingmedia.com/slingbox/slingplayermobile.php

The install was easy! I did it from the Cab file and it required the setup ID stuff.

It immediately began to play and the PQ is great! Very little stuttering.

The remote control is not as graphic as the main software but it worked and loaded my HDTIVO config as the control is working great.

Hey, I just installed it so I need to go play now! PS- I have it running from my SD card, not from main memory.

The exe file requires active sync 4.1 and I believe the advantage is that it does auto configuration.

Last edited:
I also installed from the Cab file and I must say I LOVE IT!

Works well and looks GREAT!

I love the fact that I can switch between my Satellite Receiver and my Cable TV connection. And the volume level is nice and loud, I could barely hear it when trying to do the same via ORB.

I agree. This thing looks absolutely fabulous on my Asus myPal PocketPC. Over 11Mbps wireless network its smooth as silk. Its an amazing extension of this already cool tool. Awesome.

You must be all giddy, Scott. You were the one who said the only gadget that beats your XV6700 was the sling box. Now they are both together.

Is the delay still there with the mobile software like some say it was with the original software/hardware configuration?

I just got word from Amazon that my Slingbox has shipped....whoo-hoo!!

Only problem is, my Toshiba PC laptop that will be needed to actually set-up/use the blessed device is on pre-/backorder for another couple of weeks :<

As a preperatory to actually installing: A question to anyone out there who is using a Slingbox in a home network using Apple Airport WiFi base station/routers. Any caveats to speak of that the standard docs don't cover? I can't wait for the Mac client to be released...then we'll be Slinging all over the place.

I'm very tempted to run to my Sprint store and upgrade my phone to their 6700. Would make my choosing the Sling over the Sony LocationFree (and giving up PSP support) not sting as much. But first things first...

And then there's going to be that little matter of getting the Sling to work through my work's firewall...

Well, my Slingbox finally arrived. I have it hooked up the composite-out on my 942. So far, it works fairly well on my network at home. Im a little disappointed at the video quality, even on my home network. I havent had a chance to try it out across the internet yet, so we shall see.

I do have one issue though. How can I watch widescreen shows without them being squished? I'd like to watch them in letterbox. Also, is there a way to control the format remotely? The Format button (*) on the remote goes to Last Channel.

StevenD, someone on a thread over at Slingcommunity.com has posted about that same widescreen 'squish' issue (on a 941). Hopefully someone here or there has an answer/workaround...

Just curious, what IR code set are you using, as there isn't a '9xx' series specific set as far as I could see?

There is actually a "DVR942" and an "HD942" remote option. I get the same remote on either.

Thanks. Your software must have more codes than are listed on the Sling website. There's another posting on the Slingcommunity site wherein someone seems to suggest a way to program a custom remote...would be nice if Sling could work some 'fix it/customize it' mode into the software to remedy these things. I've been spoiled by the Harmony 880 web programming, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)