Whose up for an Old Mac challenge?

cjwct

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Glastonbury, CT
Hi friends . . . I am not an Apple person and have little to no knowledge about them. My friend's mother acquired an old MacBook (2010) and was hoping I could restore it. I searched and searched online, but most sites just led me down a dark hole lol I am in Disk Utility and tried restoring the OS but got a disk-locked message and cannot proceed. One site I found said I needed to create a Partition of the HDD, but all my options to do so are unavailable/greyed out. Any tips other than tossing it lol no seriously I like to try and figure this out :)

PXL_20210602_165723243.jpg

So create one. :) Might have to use a different computer. Been about 10 years since I signed up for the App store so I don't remember what I had to do to crate an app store account.

So create one. :) Might have to use a different computer. Been about 10 years since I signed up for the App store so I don't remember what I had to do to crate an app store account.
Sounded simple enough . . . I received the message "This item is temporarily unavailable" after I signed in. I am assuming OS X Yosemite is not available in their app store anymore, so what can I do now?

I am assuming OS X Yosemite is not available in their app store anymore, so what can I do now?
When doing archaeology digs, a web search is often your best bet. Apple is fairly dismissive about supporting ancient hardware.

You can download images here:

When doing archaeology digs, a web search is often your best bet. Apple is fairly dismissive about supporting ancient hardware.

You can download images here:

Thanks and I found that page as well during my archeological dig. The issue is how to get the OS onto the device.

I've got an older iMac which is similar specs. I went to some trouble (pleasure) to get it up and running (the thrill of the chase). Once it was going, I realized that it wouldn't run any modern browsers or other software. Forget about security features. If you have a specific purpose you can dedicate it to, it might be worthwhile tinkering with, but certainly not a replacement for any kind of modern machine.

For example, I use the 2008 Version of Quicken to keep my home books and financial records on, so the iMac would suffice for that if I could find a similar Apple version. Also, I think you could make a music machine out of it, albeit without some modern features.

Enjoy getting it up and going, just don't set your expectations too high. Hope it works out for you.

I got one too… and use it to run my security camera software. And that’s all it does is displays my cameras.

But it does good as that.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: cjwct
I've got an older iMac which is similar specs. I went to some trouble (pleasure) to get it up and running (the thrill of the chase). Once it was going, I realized that it wouldn't run any modern browsers or other software. Forget about security features. If you have a specific purpose you can dedicate it to, it might be worthwhile tinkering with, but certainly not a replacement for any kind of modern machine.

For example, I use the 2008 Version of Quicken to keep my home books and financial records on, so the iMac would suffice for that if I could find a similar Apple version. Also, I think you could make a music machine out of it, albeit without some modern features.

Enjoy getting it up and going, just don't set your expectations too high. Hope it works out for you.
Thanks . . . glad to hear you are also of the thrill of the chase elk!

I got one too… and use it to run my security camera software. And that’s all it does is displays my cameras.

But it does good as that.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys
I would love to do that. I use Amcrest Surveillance Pro on my Windows machines, but for Mac it requires 10.7.5 and my iMac will only run 10.6.8.

Can you recommend a free or inexpensive software just for basic monitoring?

Thanks.

If you're not committed to using it as a Mac, you might be able to run reasonably modern software on it with some form of Linux. Biggest problem would probably be the memory if you've only got the standard 2GB -- Linux still isn't bloated, but browsers are ridiculous these days. But at least you'd have a machine with a cool-looking case and keyboard and (hopefully) long-lasting battery.

Reactions: FTA4PA and TheKrell
If you're not committed to using it as a Mac, you might be able to run reasonably modern software on it with some form of Linux. Biggest problem would probably be the memory if you've only got the standard 2GB -- Linux still isn't bloated, but browsers are ridiculous these days. But at least you'd have a machine with a cool-looking case and keyboard and (hopefully) long-lasting battery.
Thanks.

The problem I have with Linux is that I know nothing about it and trying to learn about it online is a deep dark jungle of information. There are so many versions, with many different distributions, and a variety of shells. Every time I go to read and learn, I find myself spiraling down a rabbit hole.

Is there any one location which lists all the linux versions and their system requirements? I would like to install Linux on an old Athlon 64 x2 4400+ machine I have. It is dreadfully slow with Win7 or Win10. I would like a Windows-like experience. Can you recommend a distro for that?

I think the main problem with the old iMac is it is graphically challenged. I have an old version of Firefox on it which will go to most webpages, but won't load all the content. It won't play any youtube videos at all. It's an old Core 2 Duo machine.

There are so many versions, with many different distributions, and a variety of shells.
Linux users don't typically use a shell unless they want to. All distros support multiple shells but bash seems to be the most popular. The neat thing about Linux is that you can also chose a GUI. I recommend Cinnamon.
Is there any one location which lists all the linux versions and their system requirements?
Distrowatch catalogs all of them but details on requirements are only generally covered. Look for the term "lightweight". Puppy Linux is always good.
I would like to install Linux on an old Athlon 64 x2 4400+ machine I have. I would like a Windows-like experience.
There are several excellent articles to be found if you do a web search for "lightweight linux distros".
I think the main problem with the old iMac is it is graphically challenged. I have an old version of Firefox on it which will go to most webpages, but won't load all the content. It won't play any youtube videos at all. It's an old Core 2 Duo machine.
Linux distros for Mac are limited but there are options that will get you a modern browser.
[/QUOTE]
Linux distros for Mac hardware are a little harder to find but most of the maintained ones will get you a modern browsing experience. This was made much easier by the elimination of Flash.

Linux users don't typically use a shell unless they want to. All distros support multiple shells but bash seems to be the most popular. The neat thing about Linux is that you can also chose a GUI. I recommend Cinnamon.

Distrowatch catalogs all of them but details on requirements are only generally covered. Look for the term "lightweight". Puppy Linux is always good.

There are several excellent articles to be found if you do a web search for "lightweight linux distros".
Linux distros for Mac are limited but there are options that will get you a modern browser.
Linux distros for Mac hardware are a little harder to find but most of the maintained ones will get you a modern browsing experience. This was made much easier by the elimination of Flash.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Actually, I did some research and took advice from many and installed Ubuntu Mate. It runs really well on the Athlon, boots up in less than a minute and is pretty quick jumping around exploring.

However, I've come to the same point that I now remember is why I never kept any Linux on a machine very long. It did not recognize or install my wireless adapter. I thought by now that Linux would have had a "add new hardware" app. From searching the net, I find that I have to go into terminal and input dos terms to add hardware. It's like learning dos all over again. I quit using that 30 years ago.

Anyway, it's a pretty common Realtek adapter. Maybe I can find something that will work.

If it's supported in a newer version of the kernel than the one that comes with the distro, it might be easier to see if the distro provides an easy way to upgrade the kernel. If it's not, for some reason, supported in any kernel version, then yeah you're going to have to do some work.

I found with my first-gen Intel Macs that I couldn’t use too modern of an Ubuntu version due to the early 32-bit EFI (before UEFI). This also the reason Apple gave for discontinuing OS support for the early Intel Macs, the EFI couldn’t be flashed to support UEFI. The supported 64-bit OS/X, but not the initial load. That was fine with me, as my 2006 Mac Pro 1.1 ran Ubuntu 14.4 LTS just fine and allowed me to Fold on NVIDIA CPUs even though the PCI-e was version 1.

Unfortunately, it finally died after 13 years of pretty much non-stop Folding. It outlasted a Dell Dimension and an HP workstation.

I’d say you could install Windows 10 on your Mac, but with Windows 11 coming out by the end of the year, trying to trick Win11 into loading and running sounds like more trouble than it would be worth.

If it's supported in a newer version of the kernel than the one that comes with the distro, it might be easier to see if the distro provides an easy way to upgrade the kernel. If it's not, for some reason, supported in any kernel version, then yeah you're going to have to do some work.
Thanks. I think it's really stupid how difficult it is to install hardware or even programs on a Linux machine. It just seems like by now they would have developed a "Add New Hardware" widget or something. I've been inputting terminal commands all afternoon. Lot's of people tell how to do it with this particular wifi device, it just doesn't work on mine.

I have the disk that came with the Realtek wireless adapter. It even has an install.sh script file, which I ran and it seemed to take. When I run lsusb, it shows the Realtek there, but it doesn't work. There's no Device Manager to go to and see what's going on. Adding a simple piece of hardware shouldn't be so difficult.

Lot's of folks say the driver is available at github, or something like that. When I commanded that in terminal, it asked for my username and password. I don't even know what a github is, I sure haven't joined one. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)