Why 2 Ethernet ports on back of hopper with sling????

Rockyii911

Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
just got 2 new hoppers with sling, i noticed on back of hopper there were 2 Ethernet ports, does anyone no why 2 ports??? called dish they don't know, they told me to come here and ask...... was wondering if maybe 1 is 10/100 and the other one is 10/100/1000 ?? does anyone here no why there's 2 ports, or what speed ports are???

any feedback would be appreciated

?thanks rocky?

just got 2 new hoppers with sling, i noticed on back of hopper there were 2 Ethernet ports, does anyone no why 2 ports??? called dish they don't know, they told me to come here and ask...... was wondering if maybe 1 is 10/100 and the other one is 10/100/1000 ?? does anyone here no why there's 2 ports, or what speed ports are???

any feedback would be appreciated

?thanks rocky?

I think the second Ethernet port is for future use. Either port will work for connecting your Hopper to your router. Both have their own MAC ID address. In the Network Setup Broadband menu (Yellow - Blue - 1) select the Network Details tab on the right hand side to open up the Network Setup menu. Push the red button on your remote and you will see in the drop down menu the upper port is called Ethernet Top and the lower port is called Ethernet Bottom.

thanks for the feedback......... I know how to use and setup, was just wondering if anybody knew the speed of ports, and if I were to use both ports, would it stream any faster ???, but I guess if each port has its own Ethernet address, I probably just answered my own question.........

thanks again for feedback

Unless I'm out to lunch the original Hopper had the 2 port to allow it to "Pass" Ethernet to another device downstream from the hopper. It was a feature that was never enabled and sounds as if its uselessness was carried across to the HWS.
Miner

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Yep, the 2000 has dual ethernet ports. Only one works.....

For the HWS both Cat5 ports work for connecting your Hopper to the router. Both have separate MAC ID addresses. But, I am not sure if you can use one of the Ethernet ports for another Ethernet device. When I have a chance this weekend I will try to connect my Samsung TV Ethernet to the Hopper and see if it grabs an IP address.

For the HWS both Cat5 ports work for connecting your Hopper to the router. Both have separate MAC ID addresses. But, I am not sure if you can use one of the Ethernet ports for another Ethernet device. When I have a chance this weekend I will try to connect my Samsung TV Ethernet to the Hopper and see if it grabs an IP address.

According to this, you would need a tap.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/316294-Probably-a-big-fat-NO-but?p=3224648#post3224648

KAB, I checked out that thread and it totally confused me, which doesn't take much. Anyway, I am not going to use a tap or HIC. All my Hoppers and Joey are connected to my router by Ethernet Cat5 and they are all in Ethernet mode, this includes the Joey too. I am not in Moca mode. All four Hoppers are connected to the Ethernet Bottom port. So, for my test I am going to leave my Hoppers and Joey alone and just connect my Samsung TV by Cat5 to the Hopper Ethernet Top port and then test the TV to see if it will go on line. I kinda think the TV will not grab an IP address, but you never know. Will report back here how the test goes.

Both Ethernet ports work on both Hopper versions, however they will not do pass-thru. Only one port will work at a time. The only way to utilize MoCA for other devices is to do what KAB linked to.

Both Ethernet ports work on both Hopper versions, however they will not do pass-thru. Only one port will work at a time. The only way to utilize MoCA for other devices is to do what KAB linked to.

OK, thanks 3HaloODST. I will disregard running the test. New laptop was just delivered so I will have enough headaches this weekend.

Yes unfortunately. Haven't even turned it on yet. Still reading.

Here's a tip, buy StartIsBack, it will basically turn Windows 8 into Windows 7.

http://www.startisback.com/

My machines now dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows 8, but since I got StartIsBack I mostly use 8 these days.

There's a free trial for it (30 days) to see if you like it. After that, it's only $5 for 5 machines.

You could use the second port to setup an Ethernet or wireless based Joey network independent of your home network. Joeys would be wired Ethernet or wireless instead of coax. I have tried this and it works provided there is a DNS server such as a router on the network. This may be what Dish had in mind when they designed the Hopper but decided not to go that way.

Here's a tip, buy StartIsBack, it will basically turn Windows 8 into Windows 7.

http://www.startisback.com/

My machines now dual-boot Windows 7 and Windows 8, but since I got StartIsBack I mostly use 8 these days.

There's a free trial for it (30 days) to see if you like it. After that, it's only $5 for 5 machines.

Thanks for the tip. I am going from XP to 8, but I am a little familiar with Vista and 7. May someone be with me!! Going to turn it on soon. LOL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)