Why are many new shows not in widescreen?

larrylwill

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2004
I have noticed that many new shows this year are not in wide screen or HD. Does anyone know why? Today I was watching a new episode of Ghost Hunters that is not HD and has bars on the sides.

HD recording and editing still costs a lot more than the old SD. A show needs a bigger budget to get the necessary hardware and editors. A move to digital broadcasting instead of analog does NOT require a move to HD recording and editing, unfortunately. As long as joe-blow consumer is happy stretching 4:3 content to 16:9 displays there is no incentive for the producers to make an effort to move to HD. The mojority of the public that buys HD televisions have NO CLUE what HD content is. They think that if they have an HD set, that all of the shows magically become HD, stretch marks and all.

I know people that think because the show says HD at the bottem of the screen they can see it in HD even though they don't have a HD TV. I can't convince them that they are not seeing it in HD, but they insist that it says HD so it must be so.

The mojority of the public that buys HD televisions have NO CLUE what HD content is. They think that if they have an HD set, that all of the shows magically become HD, stretch marks and all.

You're right. Some people are completely lost, clueless, and have no idea what they are watching half the time.

I do have a bone to pick about strech-o-vision. It is better on the TV than having square screen black bars burn into your screen. It's happened to my Daewoo.

I've heard of the bar burn in happening on plasmas. I had also heard that LCDs aren't typically succeptible to burn in like the plasmas.

although HD widescreen tvs have made their way into many households. HD is by no means in the majority of households. Frankly I suprised how many shows "are" widescreen. And those with 4:3 tvs have the same reaction to bars on the top and bottom.

although HD widescreen tvs have made their way into many households. HD is by no means in the majority of households. Frankly I suprised how many shows "are" widescreen. And those with 4:3 tvs have the same reaction to bars on the top and bottom.

It depends on where you live...here is Silicon Valley...HDTV's are the norm and owning 2 and 3 of them is not unusual either.

LCD Burn-in is called Image Persistence and it does happen.

LCDs: Remove LCD image burn-in

The link mentioned above said:
They recommend that you display this white image for as long as the persistent image was displayed.

Great, so all I have to do is put an all white image on the screen for 3-4 hours a day for a few years!

I have a line that runs right along the edge of where the right side pillarbox bar is. It only shows up under certain color/brightness conditions...usually appears as a purple line against dark backgrounds. I have also seen "burn in" after playing certain video games, but it goes away overnight.

Yep and those people are the niche and rich. Those are the only people that can afford those outrageous priced big sets. Average Joe like me stiff HD. I can't afford those prices for a TV.
All the sets don't have to be monster 50" or larger sets for HDTV. I have three HDTV sets: 52" (main), 32" (bedroom), 27" (workroom). I don't watch my older analog sets anymore. HD is the way I want to go. You don't have to be a millionaire to go this route. (And I don't live in Silicon Valley either :D). I just want to watch my TV the best way possible. I just wish the stations would come on-board faster with true HD, widescreen content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts