Why are there still SD channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don’t expect new movies to be released on VHS.

I still have a VCR just for the sake of some movies, or a different edition of them, are only on VHS (such as the original version and the 1997 Special Editions of the original Star Wars Trilogy, in widescreen at that). Actually I have a DVD/VCR recorder combo. I even have a laserdisc player for just one movie (the widescreen version of the original cut of THX-1138).

Reactions: Annie61 and fred555
I still have a VCR just for the sake of some movies, or a different edition of them, are only on VHS (such as the original version and the 1997 Special Editions of the original Star Wars Trilogy, in widescreen at that). Actually I have a DVD/VCR recorder combo. I even have a laserdisc player for just one movie (the widescreen version of the original cut of THX-1138).

I have a DVD VHS combo too!
It plays all regions of DVDs, handy for the DVD set of Australia's Sea Patrol, and foreign titles.
I learned here that lots of DVD players can be reprogrammed to play all regions without further user input ever.

I have a DVD VHS combo too!
It plays all regions of DVDs, handy for the DVD set of Australia's Sea Patrol, and foreign titles.
I learned here that lots of DVD players can be reprogrammed to play all regions without further user input ever.
Interesting. I have a region free Sony Blu-ray 3D player and a region free Samsung 4K + 3D Blu-ray player.

Reactions: fred555
The real reason they haven't gotten rid of SD yet (other than channels they don't have in HD) is because of the people that don't have HD tvs/receivers. if they wanted to switch to all HD they'd need to give a free new HD receiver for everyone who has an older one. At this point keeping the SD channels on the satellites costs less.

The only thing they'd gain by removing SD is bandwidth for the HD channels already there (even though the quality is already fine on them). There's only 10 or so channels availible in HD that directv doesn't carry in HD and getting rid of all the SD would probably free up enough room for maybe 70 hd channels. I guess they could use the bandwidth when they want to start adding more 4K channels but that's a ways away.

Frankly I like the SD option for channels that screw with the aspect ratio via stretchovision. It's a way to preserve the original ratio (even though many channels out there just letterbox the stretched wide screen picture now).

Reactions: fred555 and ejb1980
The real reason they haven't gotten rid of SD yet (other than channels they don't have in HD) is because of the people that don't have HD tvs/receivers. if they wanted to switch to all HD they'd need to give a free new HD receiver for everyone who has an older one. At this point keeping the SD channels on the satellites costs less.

The only thing they'd gain by removing SD is bandwidth for the HD channels already there (even though the quality is already fine on them). There's only 10 or so channels availible in HD that directv doesn't carry in HD and getting rid of all the SD would probably free up enough room for maybe 70 hd channels. I guess they could use the bandwidth when they want to start adding more 4K channels but that's a ways away.

Frankly I like the SD option for channels that screw with the aspect ratio via stretchovision. It's a way to preserve the original ratio (even though many channels out there just letterbox the stretched wide screen picture now).

The abuse of aspect ratio on many channels is annoying. Whether SD or HD, it needs to be proper!

I realize that 15-16 yrs ago I was on the cutting edge of HDTV, having an HDTV when nobody had one. Now that we are in 2016, why does Direct TV or Dish carry any channels that are still broadcast in SD. This is something I just dont understand. We have about full deployment of HDTV and SD channels look so poor on large screens. The same applies to Dish and and any other cable networks that offer SD programming. I have never seen much discussion of this. Am I missing anything? Do the execs at these companies care. Basically they should carry only HD programming.
Of what concern is it of yours?

95%....IDK?.... My mom has no HD tvs in her home.....Now I would say 100% of TV sold are HD.....But in the city, and the inner city I bet there is a lot?....Its just a guess....?

She had a dial phone till you couldnt have one anymore in Chicago....That was like 15 years ago?....She would never get rid of something thats works....
Just say'en
I'm the same way. I refused to buy a new TV until the one I have breaks.
I have a friend in NY that refuses to buy a flat panel TV.....About 10 years ago I had a 32" CRT TV that I no longer needed. So I gave it to him. The TV is probably 16 years old. He still uses it. It's in his living room.
I am anti latest and greatest. I don't buy stuff just because it's "new".....I buy when and ONLY when I need to replace something that has worn out or malfunctioned.
I guess I am still backlashing against the 80's mentality expressed by Yuppies...." he who dies with the most toys wins".....Screw that

Reactions: Annie61 and fred555
Directv doesn't charge an HD FEE
Anymore.
They stopped a year or 2 ago.

Some old grandfathered package may show HD fee with their DVR and MRV fees.

But if you are a Non dvr customer there is no HD fee, and Auto pay isn't required to get that benift.

So in reality you SD customers from Dish and Directv are getting less channels and less quality for the same cost as the HD customers.
There are quite a few HD channels especially premiums that have no SD counter part.

Now Cable TV has Options that SD is cheaper.
At least in my area.
SD no DVR packs for non STB services are
Basic Ch. 2 -22 $28
Basic Plus 2- 98 $71
Where as HD requires Digital Starting at $80 and a $4 HD charge For essentially like a Top 200 or Directv "Choice" like package.

But Satellite I see no advantage to remain an SD sub, unless all your tvs are CRTs.

211's and H24-25 are easy excellent working receivers.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
HMMM, really ?
Nope, they don't charge an HD Fee any longer ...
They charge a Advanced Recvr fee for the first one ... it use to be something like $23/$25 for the first recvr ...
Yup, they no longer charge the HD/DVR and Whole Home fees $10/$10 and $3 for that same total of $23 you were paying ... its just now not broken down.

Unless this has all changed since the start of this year, yes they charge it, just call it something different.
I had the 3 broke down on my bill for many years ....

That's old Billing grandfathered ,and you are talking about HD DVR and Whole home service.

If you have H44 or H25, there is no additional fees for HD service.

The 2 year old new Advanced receiver fee is $15 .
That includes DVR and Whole home service.
The $23 and $25 are the old pre 2015 price structure where your first receiver fee is waived.
That is no longer the

Old Price $10 HD $10 DVR $3 or 5 MRV depending on the date you signed up prior to 2015.

2015 until present.
$15 Advanced receiver fee
And $7 1st receiver fee.

That's old Billing and you are talking about HD DVR.

If you H44 or H25, there is no additional fees for HD service.

The 2 year old new Advanced receiver fee is $15 .
That included DVR and Whole home service.
The $23 and $25 are the old pre 2015 price structure where your first receiver fee is waived.
That is no longer the case.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Ok, then if it's changed from $23 to $15, where is my bill $8 cheaper ?
It's not because I'm probably on an older plan ... right ?

Ok, then if it's changed from $23 to $15, where is my bill $8 cheaper ?
It's not because I'm probably on an older plan ... right ?
Did you sign up after 2015?
And it's not $8 cheaper.
$7 first receiver fee
$15 MRV fee
$22 per month for a HD DVR 1 room.

And you keep talking about DVR receivers.
Regular HD solos and H44s don't have Advanced receiver fees or HD access fees.
Just the standard receiver Fee.

When you add a Hard drive to the H44, only then does the $15 Advanced receiver fee come into play.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: hank123
Did you sign up after 2015?
And it's not $8 cheaper.
$7 first receiver fee
$15 MRV fee
$22 per month for a HD DVR 1 room.

And you keep talking about DVR receivers.
Regular HD solos and H44s don't have Advanced receiver fees or HD access fees.
Just the standard receiver Fee.

When you add a Hard drive to the H44, only then does the $15 Advanced receiver fee come into play.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
No, I signed up back in '04 again.

Why would i go the route of a H44, I never mentioned anything about a non dvr recvr.
Genie is a glorified HD DVR.
I have 1 Genie (because I can't have more) 3 HR24's.

I don't worry about the added $23 or $15 anymore, but I kept track of it when I did and it was always the 3 fees rolled into one.

Why would i go the route of a H44, I never mentioned anything about a non dvr recvr.

Genie is a glorified HD DVR.
Oh Boy.....
You really should read all the posts.
The initial conversation was HD cost more than SD.

And it was stated Directv and Dish doesn't charge more for HD over SD.

And then you came in throwing around Directvs "Advanced receiver fee", which has nothing to do anymore with HD services.

That's why the H44 - H25 was brought up showing there isn't An HD fee in existence anymore otherwise these receivers would have one.

I know what the Genie is, I had one from 2012-2014

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Oh Boy.....
You really should read all the posts.
The initial conversation was HD cost more than SD.

And it was stated Directv and Dish doesn't charge more for HD over SD.

And then you came in throwing around Directvs "Advanced receiver fee", which has nothing to do anymore with HD services.

That's why the H44 - H25 was brought up showing there isn't An HD fee in existence anymore otherwise these receivers would have one.

I know what the Genie is, I had one from 2012-2014

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
Isn't the Advanced Recvr fee on HD DVRs only at least as the 1st major recvr on the account ?
What exactly comprises the Advanced recvr fee ?

Nearly everyone with either DVR or HD (or both) is paying either $22, $23, or $25 each month in Advanced Receiver Fees.

Long time customers pay $10/$10/$3 for HD/DVR/MRV.
Then they moved to a flat $25 advanced receiver fee.
Last year for new customers they moved to a $15 advanced receiver fee, but no longer gave the first receiver free (adding $7/month). As receiver fees escalate this could move from being less money to more over time.

Depending on when you started service you have one of the three fee structures.
From everything I've read, they do not have an easy way to move people to the new fee structure (or simply have a policy that they won't).

Eventually I think they will combine this for everyone and move to one fee structure, but who knows.

I'd really like to see them offers something like the all-inclusive structure for existing customers. One of the number one complaints is that bills are difficult to understand. Saying $90/month (or whatever it would be) for Xtra with up to 4 receivers would be much easier to understand (including hd/dvr/fees).

Personally for myself - I would like to see SD stay around for the never ending problem of rain fade. For the locals I can always switch to my OTA antenna, but if I'm watching a cable channel, tough luck!! This fact doesn't seem to matter to any others except for one other guy on this forum.

hey you guys it is 2016 and both directv and dish should think about addiing channels that have actually have hd feeds to their lineup.sd should be in the past you know most people nowadays are buying 4ktvs.just want to put my two cents in

Reactions: Rixos and reddice
HD signals and HD receivers/DVR's can always be switched to display only in SD to the TV, so wishing that SD stays isn't a problem.

Personally for myself - I would like to see SD stay around for the never ending problem of rain fade. For the locals I can always switch to my OTA antenna, but if I'm watching a cable channel, tough luck!! This fact doesn't seem to matter to any others except for one other guy on this forum.
Once SD is gone, the transponders that it used to serve will become available for HD. It's the frequency band that is less susceptible to rain fade, not the HD modulation. I personally will expect that the most popular networks will be moved.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts