Why aren't all hi-def channels filling up TV screen?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Arkapigdiesel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
Is it normal? Some hi-def channels fill up the screen, and some don't. It's driving me bonkers. I look at it this way....I bought this big arse hi-def tv so I can watch shows in full screen, and in hi-def fashion. I'm a newb to hi-def, so I'm trying to learn all of this. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

With 16:9 programming it should fill the screen. Some movies have aspect ratios greater than this and they will be letterboxed. Much of the programming material is produced for 4:3 displays and this will be pillarboxed. Some channels (TNT, A&E, etc.) will stretch it instead, which will fill the screen but distorts the picture. More and more programming is being produced in 16:9 format so the problem will hopefully correct itself eventually.

The majority of your Network prime time programming is in HD, but still NOT all.
To confuse things even more, you can have 4:3 HD as well.

Jimbo

Also, not all shows on an HD channel are HD. You can tell by the guide listing, where it will say "HD" in the box if it's an actual HD show. That or you can use the info key to check.

Sonydude might have hit the point that is confusing you. Just because it's an "HD" channel doesn't mean the program is being broadcast in HD. There are a number of "HD" channels that show little to no HD programming.

If you post some examples, people might be able to give more specific feedback.

Original aspect ratio (commonly referred to as 'OAR') also comes into play, especially for DVDs - this is a common complaint for new HDTV owners. I admit when I got my first HDTV almost 7 years ago, I didn't know anything about this either. As mentioned above, movies are filed in different ratios - some will fill and HDTV screen while others will not. Once you realize the difference, you will even notice the different ratios on the big screen.

Is it normal? Some hi-def channels fill up the screen, and some don't. It's driving me bonkers. I look at it this way....I bought this big arse hi-def tv so I can watch shows in full screen, and in hi-def fashion. I'm a newb to hi-def, so I'm trying to learn all of this. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

One of my pet peeves as well. Whichever one (D or E) squares this away will be the clear leader - and the economic survivor.

Since it is rumored that they read these boards: guys - lead or die. The market is rapidly contracting and the loser is toast.

One of my pet peeves as well. Whichever one (D or E) squares this away will be the clear leader - and the economic survivor.

Since it is rumored that they read these boards: guys - lead or die. The market is rapidly contracting and the loser is toast.

Except this is not your DBS provider's problem.

Bingo. They are sending out exactly what they get from the stations themselves

true. and i still feel that an sd channel on a mpeg4 HD feed like let's say MTV still looks better to me than the regular SD feed on these HDTV's.

I would much rather watch high quality 4:3 HD than 16:9 (stretched or zoomed) SD any day. So, although I like to have the screen filled, I'd much rather have quality at 4:3 than crap at 16:9. :D

I would much rather watch high quality 4:3 HD than 16:9 (stretched or zoomed) SD any day. So, although I like to have the screen filled, I'd much rather have quality at 4:3 than crap at 16:9. :D

:up

I cannot stand to watch stretched distorted people and objects. Everyone looks fat and short with softball shaped heads. What is worse is the "smart stretch" that TBS, FoodTV, TNT, ex do. When I watch something with a scroll on the bottom, it give me motion sickness.

It's driving me bonkers. I look at it this way....I bought this big arse hi-def tv so I can watch shows in full screen, and in hi-def fashion.

facepalm.jpg

I cannot stand to watch stretched distorted people and objects. Everyone looks fat and short with softball shaped heads. What is worse is the "smart stretch" that TBS, FoodTV, TNT, ex do. When I watch something with a scroll on the bottom, it give me motion sickness.

Oh yes... Fox News (and many other news sources) do that crawler at the bottom, only it goes left to right instead of up and down like the credits on TBS. I hate it. It makes me sick. It's bad TV, it's bad form and it's hideously ugly. I much prefer a "ticker" to display info then just blink out if they simply must have a ticker (I'd prefer none).

Oh yes... Fox News (and many other news sources) do that crawler at the bottom, only it goes left to right instead of up and down like the credits on TBS. I hate it. It makes me sick. It's bad TV, it's bad form and it's hideously ugly. I much prefer a "ticker" to display info then just blink out if they simply must have a ticker (I'd prefer none).
The scroller on non stretched programming is fine with me. I am talking about that on the stretched programming (smart stretch). As it moves from and towards the corners, the words become distorted and expanded.

The scroller on non stretched programming is fine with me. I am talking about that on the stretched programming (smart stretch). As it moves from and towards the corners, the words become distorted and expanded.

i find that more irritating than anything else. I detest stretch o' vision. if it's in a 4:3 format than leave it alone. They actually think they're fooling some into believing it's hd just because it's stretched to fill the screen :rolleyes:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)