why can't Dish fix their bugs?

I have also had it skip a timer due to a conflict even though there should be none. For example last thursday it showed:
Tuner 1-the first 48- 8 to 9:01
Tuner 2-after the first 48-9 to 10:01
Tuner 3-mythbusters-9 to 10
Tuner 2-pawn stars- 9 to 9:31
Tuner 1-pawn stars-9:30 to10:01
Instead of using the same tuner to record the shows that are back to back on the same channel, it uses all seperate ones. So it skipped after the first 48 and rescheduled it for the replay, which of course did not start to record. My son was up and hit record like 5 mins into the show since he was watching it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It should, so if it didn't, there's either a problem (bug) or an issue with the guide data. What show are you talking about ?

Anyone else have this happen ?

At least twice so far.

Another good question is, why do they create these bugs (releasing them without testing/verification or release them knowingly broken) ??

Anyone seeing the following: When I press the DVR button and then select my 2nd Hopper, I see the programming on the 1st Hopper. I have to cancel out and repress the DVR button again and select the 2nd Hopper again . Usually the programming for the 2nd Hopper will show on the 2nd try.

I saw that today, any of the other three I tried to view showed the Hopper I was at. After I viewed all the Hoppers from the mobile app it's been working from the Hopper.

Anyone seeing the following: When I press the DVR button and then select my 2nd Hopper, I see the programming on the 1st Hopper. I have to cancel out and repress the DVR button again and select the 2nd Hopper again . Usually the programming for the 2nd Hopper will show on the 2nd try.
Yep getting that a lot here too.

I have also had it skip a timer due to a conflict even though there should be none. For example last thursday it showed:
Tuner 1-the first 48- 8 to 9:01
Tuner 2-after the first 48-9 to 10:01
Tuner 3-mythbusters-9 to 10
Tuner 2-pawn stars- 9 to 9:31
Tuner 1-pawn stars-9:30 to10:01
Instead of using the same tuner to record the shows that are back to back on the same channel, it uses all seperate ones. So it skipped after the first 48 and rescheduled it for the replay, which of course did not start to record. My son was up and hit record like 5 mins into the show since he was watching it.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
This needs to be suggested to the programmers at Dish. It's a no-brainer. The way it is now it can tie up 2 tuners just because it has one show after another being recorded on the same channel.

Reactions: fishman316
Dish's DVRs have never (as best I can remember) handled this gracefully. It used to be, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, that if you had back-to-back recordings on the same channel, it simply ignored the 1-minute-early-3-minutes-late padding. Problem with that was shows that started early or ran over weren't dealt with. Pre-Hopper days for us, that being the 722k, you often had the end of the show cut off but you could watch the very beginning of the next one and catch the ending.

I think I mentioned it in this thread or maybe it was another one, but I've seen people comment that other DVRs don't have this issue (I can't say this from personal experience though). One "fix" would be to simply (I say that from a non-programmer standpoint) to pull the audio/video from the buffer and mux it to the start and end of shows. Worst case, if you recorded something from 8-9pm, it might take a few minutes before that recording was viewable while it put those pieces in.

Pre-Hopper days for us, that being the 722k, you often had the end of the show cut off but you could watch the very beginning of the next one and catch the ending.
It's that way with the Hopper. Last night, I had to watch the last minute The Last Ship at the beginning of Falling Skies.

I prefer the overlaps to be recorded using 2 tuners. I've mentioned this many times before, that changing the default 1-min-3-min padding to 2-min-2-min will force the tuners to switch and record the overlaps and prevent a hard cut.

Every TV show is different so I doubt any one padding setting will cover everything scenario.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I just wish Dish could get the Closed Caption working! I and several others have posted about problems many times and it seems EVERY software upgrade seems to ALTER CC behavior a bit but never FIX the problem. With 506, the CC option "TURNS OFF" on its own! In previous versions of the software I could pause the program for a bit and CC would come back but this time it appears more stubborn. My wife cannot hear the dialog and MUST have CC so any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

I prefer the overlaps to be recorded using 2 tuners. I've mentioned this many times before, that changing the default 1-min-3-min padding to 2-min-2-min will force the tuners to switch and record the overlaps and prevent a hard cut.
IF, there is an used tuner. But for me, all are busy for the most part on Sunday night.

Yep getting that a lot here too.

Here three. Happened to my wife last night while she was watching Last Ship. The show finished and she pressed DVR choice to return to DVR. Once in the DVR she toggled to the top and selected the other Hopper, the banner showed the other Hopper, but the recordings were from the Hopper she was watching from. I had her try a couple times, same result. Had her go into the EHD and then back and then select the other Hopper and it worked then. I think I have noticed this a few times over the last couple of weeks. Not much more than an annoyance at this point.

This needs to be suggested to the programmers at Dish. It's a no-brainer. The way it is now it can tie up 2 tuners just because it has one show after another being recorded on the same channel.
I think it's a patent infringement issue with TiVO, not covered in the settlement.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

We always have this overlap problem. Much of it is not a Dish problem but the network doing it purposely to get you to watch their shows. We have tried changing the default overlaps with some success. We also try manual recording( DVR, MY Recordings, Timers, Manual Timers or push DVR 4 times and select Manual timers), but it is not the easiest app to use. However, the only real solution is similar to Prime Time Anytime. Record all the channel's programs around the program you want to see.

Last edited:
I got a issue where on PTAT record shows it will throw one of the shows set record on PTAT onto a turner by it self for no reason? Any ever heard of that bug is there way to fix it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)