Why can't there be an HD 9399 for Olympic coverage?

bookwalk

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
When we had the Charlie Chat in January--I really thought I understood we would have a channel similar to 9399, but HD--that would constantly broadcast Olympic highlights--to augment the NBC regular coverage?

Is 9399 available in HD?

Is it really true, then, that the only HD Olympics is what is on the NBC National Network?

Does Canada get any HD feeds with wider coverage than the US?

UHD just doesn't count AT all--it is useless!

Why couldn't NBC allow one of the VOOM HD channels, such as Rush or WorldSport to pick up some feeds?

NBC and Universal HD is showing all the HD that's available.

The most HD then any previous olympics

They could solve this by turning on the mpeg4 NBC Feeds in Mpeg2 for the duration just like Universal HD. At the very least this would placate the O&O markets......

CapeFish said:
Many Canadians on AVS Forum have been bitching about the CBC/TSN's HD Olympic Coverage lacking. I don't think TSN has any HD coverage and CBC has limited coverage.

Hmm...this is very interesting. It sounds more and more like we've been speculating in another thread that there just isn't a lot of stuff being recorded and sent to the affiliates in HD format. We already now that the some of the events have just been upconverted SD widescreen.

Weezknight said:
Hmm...this is very interesting. It sounds more and more like we've been speculating in another thread that there just isn't a lot of stuff being recorded and sent to the affiliates in HD format. We already now that the some of the events have just been upconverted SD widescreen.

I think you hit the nail on the head. It's apparent to me that whatever HD material NBC gets, it keeps the best for the national network and sends the hockey to Universal HD. They keep saying this is the most HD coverage in history, so previous ones must have been paltry.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)