Why DirecTV is the HD Leader (Video)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yea I'm sure thats what it is. D* is just better at not getting caught.Directv promised peolpe would get local channels with Directv if they signed up.Then when you would sign up and guess what ?? No locals.I was included in that scam. So don't think for a second D* is a strait shooter. D* also was sued in a class action suit over this as well.

Yea I'm sure thats what it is. D* is just better at not getting caught.Directv promised peolpe would get local channels with Directv if they signed up.Then when you would sign up and guess what ?? No locals.I was included in that scam. So don't think for a second D* is a strait shooter. D* also was sued in a class action suit over this as well.
Local channels and DNS are not the same thing. Totally unrelated. I don't get your point at all.

Local channels and DNS are not the same thing. Totally unrelated. I don't get your point at all.
If you need more info then here. What did E* do to break the law. They gave people DNS channels they were not aloud to give.D* broke the law because when new customers would call up for new service,customers would ask if local channels were availble in there area.They would give their Zip code's and address,and D* would say yes. Well then the new customer would get his new service hooked up ,and guess what? NO LOCALS. Your right DNS aren't the same as local. Thats where D* broke the law. I was one of those customers as was Just about every D* Customer in Pike county PA. NY DNS are not PA local channels.If you followed through with your class action suit ,you got a check for a wopping $25 from D*. And D* still only gives Pike county customers NY DNS. The only county in northeast PA to not have Scranton Wilkes-Barre locals.E does the same thing,the only Difference E* didn't lie about it.

If you need more info then here. What did E* do to break the law. They gave people DNS channels they were not aloud to give.D* broke the law because when new customers would call up for new service,customers would ask if local channels were availble in there area.They would give their Zip code's and address,and D* would say yes. Well then the new customer would get his new service hooked up ,and guess what? NO LOCALS. Your right DNS aren't the same as local. Thats where D* broke the law. I was one of those customers as was Just about every D* Customer in Pike county PA. NY DNS are not PA local channels.If you followed through with your class action suit ,you got a check for a wopping $25 from D*. And D* still only gives Pike county customers NY DNS. The only county in northeast PA to not have Scranton Wilkes-Barre locals.E does the same thing,the only Difference E* didn't lie about it.

Copyright law. Don't forget that DISH and the networks NBC, CBS, ABC had agreed to settle out of court, it was FOX that refused and and that forced the judge to ban DISH from offering DNS. DTV thought they were pulling a fast one on Charlie but Charlie got the last laugh by not havng to pay $100+ million and DISH's qualified customers can still get DNS through a 3rd party provder.

FOX > Rupert Murdoch > DirecTV

Further off-topic posts will be deleted or moved.

Please read the topic for this discussion.

BTW - as I recall, there are threads in the DISH forum on the DNS matter.

D* :
72 ESPN2 HD
73 ESPN HD
74 Universal HD
75 TNT HD
76 Discovery HD Theater
78 HDNet Movies
79 HDNet
98 NFL Network, NBA HDTV, etc.
99 HD PPV Movies and PPV Special Events
70 HBO HD
71 Showtime HD

E* :
9420 TNT HD
9421 Discovery HD Theater
9422 HDNet
9423 HDNet Movies
9424 ESPN HD
9470 Rave HD
9471 Equator HD
9472 Gallery HD
9474 Animania HD
9476 Rush HD
9478 Ultra HD
9479 Kung Fu HD
9480 Film Fest HD
9481 Monsters HD
9482 HD News
9456 HBO HD
9460 Showtime HD
Food Network HD
Universal HD
ESPN2 HD
Starz! HD
National Geographic HD
NFL Network HD
HGTV HD
Voom World Sport HD
Voom World Cinema HD
Voom Family HD
Voom Treasure HD
Voom GamePlay HD

D* has far less national HD than E* and has had since the Voom channels were added. Currently the difference is disgraceful IMO. AN A$$ WHOPPIN, IMO.

Last edited:
Come a month and a half from now I would really be interested to see who has the most hd channels that people actually watch, with Voom not included in the count. They are a niche service that was great when you had practically no hd channels to choose from and they had great picture quality, THEN . Now they have been reduced in pq and resolution and they are so REPETITIVE it isn't funny. I want to know who has SCI-FI channel first.

Come a month and a half from now I would really be interested to see who has the most hd channels that people actually watch, with Voom not included in the count. They are a niche service that was great when you had practically no hd channels to choose from and they had great picture quality, THEN . Now they have been reduced in pq and resolution and they are so REPETITIVE it isn't funny. I want to know who has SCI-FI channel first.
Where else can you find the worlds best soccer? LaLiga? I would pay for Voom as a premium if D* would carry it. And is it downrezzed below 1440? ANd is this E* doing it or Voom? D*'s HDLIL is 1440. And if you bash repeats why not Bash DiscoveryHD?????? OR HDNET???

D* has far less national HD than E* and has had since the Voom channels were added. Currently the difference is disgraceful IMO. AN A$$ WHOPPIN, IMO.

Yes we ALL know that DISH has more HD channels now. But your original statement that it is DISH lighting a fire under DirecTV is not in any way accurate to the facts. DirecTV announced their HD plans (which BTW remain as announced) when the playing field was level.

When it comes to V*, my opinion is that it can't be that great if Cablevision, which is the majority owner of the service, wouldn't even put some of the channels on their own cable system until recently. That tells me not much of a demand for those channels.

When it comes to V*, my opinion is that it can't be that great if Cablevision, which is the majority owner of the service, wouldn't even put some of the channels on their own cable system until recently. That tells me not much of a demand for those channels.

Exactly my sentiments. Hard to believe that no other providers offer even 1 VOOM channel. I mean, there can't be a feeling INSIDE the industry that those channels have much value to a majority of their subs. now don't get me wrong, if the provider has so much bandwidth that they can add niche programming like that and ALSO have room for much more mainstream content it doesn't matter - but that doesn't seem to be the case with E*.

Only about 40,000 people nationwide offered to pay for it when it was over 20 HD full-rezz channels!

That's how popular it was!

The services was launched at the wrong time. If you had this type of service today it may be a totally different story.

The biggest question to you guys is why do you care who is leading the HD revolution? All I know is that I am glad it is happening because all consumers will benefit in the long run. I think most of you like to argue just to hear yourself talk or type in this instance.

D* :
72 ESPN2 HD
73 ESPN HD
74 Universal HD
75 TNT HD
76 Discovery HD Theater
78 HDNet Movies
79 HDNet
98 NFL Network, NBA HDTV, etc.
99 HD PPV Movies and PPV Special Events
70 HBO HD
71 Showtime HD

E* :
9420 TNT HD
9421 Discovery HD Theater
9422 HDNet
9423 HDNet Movies
9424 ESPN HD
9470 Rave HD
9471 Equator HD
9472 Gallery HD
9474 Animania HD
9476 Rush HD
9478 Ultra HD
9479 Kung Fu HD
9480 Film Fest HD
9481 Monsters HD
9482 HD News
9456 HBO HD
9460 Showtime HD
Food Network HD
Universal HD
ESPN2 HD
Starz! HD
National Geographic HD
NFL Network HD
HGTV HD
Voom World Sport HD
Voom World Cinema HD
Voom Family HD
Voom Treasure HD
Voom GamePlay HD

E* also has Cinemax HD

Exactly my sentiments. Hard to believe that no other providers offer even 1 VOOM channel. I mean, there can't be a feeling INSIDE the industry that those channels have much value to a majority of their subs..
Thats true. Back then! When No one had any Idea what HD tv was.As JAG said now its a much different story .More people are getting to know what HD is. HD tv's are a fairly new to being mass produced in the market. Now almost all tv's are HD. 3-4 years ago they were not. HD Programming is not number 1 choice to everyone. IMO their is still a small % who must have HD, compair to who could really care less.A lot of people can't see spending the money on the same channels that are in SD just to have them in HD.

The services was launched at the wrong time. If you had this type of service today it may be a totally different story.

To a degree. However no locals and no DVR killed them. Also, the Voom channels are not a market differentiator. I like them but even my father in law with Dish watches 1 or 2. The new HD channels coming up and Voom combo would be a different story. I think if they launched now with locals, DVR and the mainstream HD, it could have worked. But then, I think the market is happy with a dualopoly in the sat market.

To a degree. However no locals and no DVR killed them. Also, the Voom channels are not a market differentiator. I like them but even my father in law with Dish watches 1 or 2. The new HD channels coming up and Voom combo would be a different story. I think if they launched now with locals, DVR and the mainstream HD, it could have worked. But then, I think the market is happy with a dualopoly in the sat market.
I will even Agree with that. I'll give all the VOOM channels back if I could get my locals in HD.I'm like your father in-law. I only watch 1 maybe 2 Voom channels. MonstersHD is the only one I would miss.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts