Why DirecTV is the HD Leader (Video)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The biggest question to you guys is why do you care who is leading the HD revolution? All I know is that I am glad it is happening because all consumers will benefit in the long run. I think most of you like to argue just to hear yourself talk or type in this instance.

Passing judgements on others is also a way to hear yourself type - in this instance IMO.

If you aren't interested, or feel the thread is not giving you what you want, please just ignore it.

To a degree. However no locals and no DVR killed them. Also, the Voom channels are not a market differentiator. I like them but even my father in law with Dish watches 1 or 2. The new HD channels coming up and Voom combo would be a different story. I think if they launched now with locals, DVR and the mainstream HD, it could have worked. But then, I think the market is happy with a dualopoly in the sat market.

I agree with the current Voom programming but don't forget that when the service went under they had around 40 HD channels. They offered most of the mainstream channels that were in operation at the time. So one might say that Voom forced all the providers to rethink their HD plans. They were still in operation when D* made all of their grand plans in 2004.

The biggest question to you guys is why do you care who is leading the HD revolution? All I know is that I am glad it is happening because all consumers will benefit in the long run. I think most of you like to argue just to hear yourself talk or type in this instance.
I'm bored, I need something to talk about.Wife and kids went away for 3 days.Who ever thought I'd be bored from that !! Right ?:D

I agree with the current Voom programming but don't forget that when the service went under they had around 40 HD channels. They offered most of the mainstream channels that were in operation at the time. So one might say that Voom forced all the providers to rethink their HD plans. They were still in operation when D* made all of their grand plans in 2004.
I almost chose VOOM satellite tv over Directv back in 2003. What would have happed if I did? Would they have made me go to *E? Or did they just Drop all their customers?

I almost chose VOOM satellite tv over Directv back in 2003. What would have happed if I did? Would they have made me go to *E? Or did they just Drop all their customers?

They just shut down the service and dropped all their subs.

So - is it just coincidence that after over 2 years of ignoring their OWN programming (CABLEVISION OWNS VOOM) they add the VOOM channels to their system - or is it since DirecTV is about to blow them away in 6 weeks they figured they had to add some HD programming? I think the latter. Obviously they had the bandwidth, obviously they can cut any deal they want with themselves for carriage.

And as Scott says in his OP - DirecTV is out in front in getting new channels to commit to launching - also is it coincidence that Charlie decides to move MPEG2 VOOM to MPEG4 August 15th and add 7 new HD nationals NOW - as well as additional part-time HD RSN's. Why didn't they do this 6 months ago? Could they also be looking over their shoulder right now? I for one think so - and with good reason I add.

It matters little who had what last year. That is unchangeable HISTORY.

September starts the largest televsion buying period EVERY YEAR (thru Super Bowl). Read the industry reports about the number of new HD sets expected to be sold in the Sept-Jan timeframe. Remember that the largest national TV retail stores feature DirecTV, and that you are sure to see a massive advertising campaign from DirecTV as they launch their new HD program offerings. Whether you have liked them or not - even the cable execs in Scott's video clearly say that DirecTV's marketing and ad campaigns so far have been very effective - and thats BEFORE they have the programming. Just wait. It looks to me like they are going to have a 6-12 month window where they will double the HD offering of their competitors - I expect them to be very aggressive to get subs to come on over.

You are correct that D* is pressuring the other providers today but back in 2004 who was pressing D* to launch all the new SAT's and get into the HD market. The only one that was truly leading at the time was Voom. As I stated before it was a services that was ahead of its time.

You are correct that D* is pressuring the other providers today but back in 2004 who was pressing D* to launch all the new SAT's and get into the HD market. The only one that was truly leading at the time was Voom. As I stated before it was a services that was ahead of its time.

Maybe it was actually some planning type folks within D*'s management that looked at the future and saw that they needed to expand their capacity for a future with HD. Were they worried about V*, IMHO doubtful since the subscriber base was so small and not really growing, it was like a fly buzzing around an elephant.

Maybe it was actually some planning type folks within D*'s management that looked at the future and saw that they needed to expand their capacity for a future with HD. Were they worried about V*, IMHO doubtful since the subscriber base was so small and not really growing, it was like a fly buzzing around an elephant.

I don't think that they were worried about V* either but if they were not growing in the new HD market why would D* then want to bet their entire future on this type of service?

So we agree that if it were anybody pushing D* it was Voom.

It certainly was NOT E*. To the best of my knowledge at the time DirecTV announced their planned HD project in 2004 - Echostar had made absolutely NO similar announcement - thus I don't see how anyone could say that DISH lit a fire under DirecTV.

But funny thing - even though TODAY Dish has more HD channels, it is DirecTV lighting a major fire under Echostar's butt! Who would have guessed!

I think Directv has lit a fire under EVERYONES butts. THe plans they have announced and have yet to execute, have pushed everyone in both cable and DISH to try to add as much hd as possible so that DIRECTV can't get to far ahead and steal to many hd subs. Whether this happens or not remains to be seen. Remember that Directv will still charge $199.99 to $299.99 for an hd dvr and DISH will give it to new subs FREE. This right here will decide a lot of people's decisions for them. $$$$$ has a way of doing that. Now High end subs won't care about that and they will want quantity of hd channels over price of a dvr so in the end it looks like high end subs will go to DIRECTV and value minded subs will head to DISH. SO in the end it doesn't look like it will matter ,as it looks like all things will stay about the same.

Remember that Directv will still charge $199.99 to $299.99 for an hd dvr and DISH will give it to new subs FREE. This right here will decide a lot of people's decisions for them. $$$$$ has a way of doing that. Now High end subs won't care about that and they will want quantity of hd channels over price of a dvr so in the end it looks like high end subs will go to DIRECTV and value minded subs will head to DISH. SO in the end it doesn't look like it will matter ,as it looks like all things will stay about the same.

D* wants the high revenue subscriber so maybe they just look at the HD DVR up front charge as a way to weed some of those out.

I think Directv has lit a fire under EVERYONES butts. THe plans they have announced and have yet to execute, have pushed everyone in both cable and DISH to try to add as much hd as possible so that DIRECTV can't get to far ahead and steal to many hd subs. Whether this happens or not remains to be seen. Remember that Directv will still charge $199.99 to $299.99 for an hd dvr and DISH will give it to new subs FREE. This right here will decide a lot of people's decisions for them. $$$$$ has a way of doing that. Now High end subs won't care about that and they will want quantity of hd channels over price of a dvr so in the end it looks like high end subs will go to DIRECTV and value minded subs will head to DISH. SO in the end it doesn't look like it will matter ,as it looks like all things will stay about the same.

Not so sure I agree - I am seeing more and more retailers like CC and BB offer an additional savings of 2-300 dollars on new HD TVS with new subscriptions to DirecTV that get signed up for with the new purchase. That covers the HD-DVR. The rest of the install for 4 rooms is FREE! If the difference is 30 or more channels (and I do think it will be for 6 months or slightly longer) - and the channels are well-known national channels (and most will be), it won't be like it is today where the differences don't include that many nationally known channels. But as they say - time will tell, won't it? And it certainly Is getting interesting, isn't it?

here is the link for this weeks BB ad showing an additional $300 savings if D* HD is subbed to:
Best Buy - Weekly Ad Specials

Not so sure I agree - I am seeing more and more retailers like CC and BB offer an additional savings of 2-300 dollars on new HD TVS with new subscriptions to DirecTV that get signed up for with the new purchase. That covers the HD-DVR. The rest of the install for 4 rooms is FREE! If the difference is 30 or more channels (and I do think it will be for 6 months or slightly longer) - and the channels are well-known national channels (and most will be), it won't be like it is today where the differences don't include that many nationally known channels. But as they say - time will tell, won't it? And it certainly Is getting interesting, isn't it?

here is the link for this weeks BB ad showing an additional $300 savings if D* HD is subbed to:
Best Buy - Weekly Ad Specials

Once again it's designed for the New sub with NOTHING going to the current sub.
Current subs buy new HD TV's too ...

Jimbo

Remember that Directv will still charge $199.99 to $299.99 for an hd dvr and DISH will give it to new subs FREE.

D* will give new and returning subs a free HD DVR. I just had my last straw with losing my E* services from a few clouds and called D* to see what they would offer me. I got the HD DVR for $0. This made the switch much easier to handle.

Once again it's designed for the New sub with NOTHING going to the current sub.
Current subs buy new HD TV's too ...

Jimbo

Yeah - it seems to always be better for NEW customers - I had the same thing with my cell phone company - they offer the best new phones for new customers, but the deal for existing customers is never as good - at least until you fight them a bit.

I'm just trying to point out the different ways that DirecTV is countering the DISH HD-DVR freebie. And as we see throughout these forums, existing subs have ways of getting equipment for much less than the advertised price.

D* will give new and returning subs a free HD DVR. I just had my last straw with losing my E* services from a few clouds and called D* to see what they would offer me. I got the HD DVR for $0. This made the switch much easier to handle.

Welcome BACK. I am thinking that many more will be returning in the next couple of months.

I have had to pay $ 200 for each of my HR20's.
Then again, I think that is a fair price and I don't cry and complain to them about it and I NEVER threaten to CANCEL my service.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)