Why DirecTV is the HD Leader (Video)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Welcome BACK. I am thinking that many more will be returning in the next couple of months.

I would not be returning if it was not for needing a 2nd dish to avoid losing reception on many channels during the lightest cloud cover. Of course the free HD DVR did not hurt the cause.

I have had to pay $ 200 for each of my HR20's.
Then again, I think that is a fair price and I don't cry and complain to them about it and I NEVER threaten to CANCEL my service.

Jimbo

I will pay for a 2nd once the services is setup and active for a few months. For the time being I will just use a standard receiver for the bedroom. But if they want to give me another I will not refuse it.:D

I'm gald I kept my Directv equipment. E is fine right now for me ,But I can't see me being a long term customer. I feel Directv is a better over all company the E*. For some reason I don't feel that great about dealing with E* Theres lot of things I don't understand their point in doing. I' don't like hidden costs,I don't like their customer service,I don't care much for their equipment either. Their HD-dvr works good,but to only give 2 satellite tuners to do 2 tvs IMO is point less. Your only getting half the dvr function.If your going to have a receiver doing 2 tv's from one box Then you need 3 Satellite tuners,or 4 . To me it's pointless otherwise.I'll take a receiver in every room over this any day. I wanted to see what Dish is all about ,and the only way for me to do that was become a customer. Now I know! I know with D* when I first started had some local channel issues. But I Never felt like D* main goal was to rip me off. I don't know why but I do NOT feel good with E*

My feeling (and everyone thinks of me as a Dish Supporter) is that Dish while having more channels in HD has been actually dragging their feet on HD..

They got lucky with VOOM.

And yes they added a few new channels over time.

However I don't honestly believe for a second Dish would be adding HD in August and September if the DirecTV satellite did not get launched.

They didn't decide to launch these channels because they finally figured they had the space (they have always had the space) they launched them to combat DirecTV.

Scott, I don't give a dam about who lit fire where, my point is since last 3 years E* has more HD channels (Excluding VooM) then anybody else, so, why argue while you can watch.
Now I will be happy for D* customers when they will get their promised HD channels, but why missed 3 years of HD till today. They could have enjoyed HD for 3 years with E* and came back to D* when it will became HD leader. I just don't get consumers who think with heart instead of brain :)

I'm gald I kept my Directv equipment. E is fine right now for me ,But I can't see me being a long term customer. I feel Directv is a better over all company the E*. For some reason I don't feel that great about dealing with E* Theres lot of things I don't understand their point in doing. I' don't like hidden costs,I don't like their customer service,I don't care much for their equipment either. Their HD-dvr works good,but to only give 2 satellite tuners to do 2 tvs IMO is point less. Your only getting half the dvr function.If your going to have a receiver doing 2 tv's form one box Then you need 3 Satellite tuners,or 4 . To me it's pointless otherwise.I'll take a receiver in every room over this any day. I wanted to see what Dish is all about ,and the only way for me to do that was become a customer. Now I know!

I truly love the 622 and I am a little concerned about the HR-20. I only have the second tuner of the 622 feeding my workshop. It is only used about once a week so I set the 622 to single mode when the other TV is not being used. It gives full DVR functionallity.

But this is off topic and I would hate for ScoBuck to smack our knuckles with the ruler so I will leave it at that. :D:D:D

ScoBuck will forgive us.:D I should have listen to him in the 1st place. But live and learn I guess. Just for the record . I'm not putting E* down . I guess they just aren't really ment for me.

Then again, I think that is a fair price and I don't cry and complain to them about it and I NEVER threaten to CANCEL my service.

Jimbo
I only had to swap them my existing "owned" 10-250 and they gave me the Hr20 for almost no charge ($19 installation). I also had to renew my recently expired 2-year commitment. I wasn't planning on going anywhere anytime soon, so that was no biggie. Now I am trying to convince the wife to let me swap out the other Tivo (SD version) from the bedroom for another HR20...or at least let me get an HR10-250 (ebay, I guess) so that we can get some HD in the bedroom now that we have an HDTV in there now too. If I can get a similar deal, it shouldn't be too hard.

Scott, I don't give a dam about who lit fire where, my point is since last 3 years E* has more HD channels (Excluding VooM) then anybody else, so, why argue while you can watch.
Now I will be happy for D* customers when they will get their promised HD channels, but why missed 3 years of HD till today. They could have enjoyed HD for 3 years with E* and came back to D* when it will became HD leader. I just don't get consumers who think with heart instead of brain :)

First of all - three years ago (July of 2004) as posted earlier in this thread - DirecTV and DISH had almost equal HD channels.

A little over TWO years ago DISH took over the VOOM sat and programming (May 2005). So it is in fact 2 years where there has been some advantage for DISH in number of channels. But number of channels is only 1 part of the story. DirecTV had all 4 networks in HD (EAST/WEST DNS feeds) way before DISH did. DirecTV still gets HD lils into 20% more households than DISH (and those 3-4 major network feeds in HD are much more watched than ANY CABLE channel). Since LAST year, DirecTV also has had 20 something RSN's in HD in local markets (and 5 of them are now FULL-TIME). I also now get 2 MLB HD channels, and have gotten 6 or so NFL HD channels on football Sundays. So, to me (and so many others who have posted similar), the DirecTV HD lineup (as opposed to the number of channels) has always been SUPERIOR to the DISH HD lineup.

My brain (and my heart) tell me give me YES-HD, SNY-HD (both FULL-TIME), give me my HD lils, and all of the NFL games in HD. You can have your VOOM along with the 4-5 other HD nationals that DirecTV doesn't have. IMO - mine is the better offering now, and come mid-September will blow everyone else away. Without the sports offering, and for many without HD lils, no point to make a switch to E*.

I truly love the 622 and I am a little concerned about the HR-20. I only have the second tuner of the 622 feeding my workshop. It is only used about once a week so I set the 622 to single mode when the other TV is not being used. It gives full DVR functionallity.

But this is off topic and I would hate for ScoBuck to smack our knuckles with the ruler so I will leave it at that. :D:D:D
HR-20 is slower then the 622 but IMO Its a way better Receiver that just hasn't been broken in yet . If I were you I wouldn't worry.1 Update alone turned this thing from a nightmare to a sex dream!! Can't wait to see what the next update will do.

Last edited:
HR-20 is slower then the 622 but IMO Its a way better Receiver that just hasn't been broken in yet . If I were you I wouldn't worry.

I'd agree with you if it had the ability to do some of the things the 622 can like the true dual tuners with separate buffers for viewing.

Regardless if D wins the hd fight I'll hop over them in a heartbeat. I'm not a fanboi and I have no loyalty to E.

One thing that has me sorta holding on though is the promiss of Mpeg4 from a single bird with my small dish. That 5 lnb monster is going to be a PIA on top of my MH.

One thing that has me sorta holding on though is the promiss of Mpeg4 from a single bird with my small dish. That 5 lnb monster is going to be a PIA on top of my MH.
I wouldn't hold you breath on that . For some reason E* claims to be doing a ton of stuff . But I've yet to see rock solid proof about any of it except them going to MPEG-4.

Jimbo
Well, let me help you feel worse. You paid 200 bucks each for a total of 400 dollars for the privaledge of renting them for 2 years. Anyone that pays that lump sum fee inorder to rent a box so that you can pay a programming fee needs to have their head examined.

Well, let me help you feel worse. You paid 200 bucks each for a total of 400 dollars for the privaledge of renting them for 2 years. Anyone that pays that lump sum fee inorder to rent a box so that you can pay a programming fee needs to have their head examined.

Or anyone that sticks with a provider that knowingly hates their service and finds fault in just about everything they do. And to top it off, when actually given the option to use Fios for the better HD quality, actually cancels the order to stick with the same provider for a DVR they hate before they get it and hate it even more after. :D That person needs to have their head examined for sure. :eek:

Originally Posted by vurbano

Originally Posted by Brewer4
Or anyone that sticks with a provider that knowingly hates their service and finds fault in just about everything they do. And to top it off, when actually given the option to use Fios for the better HD quality, actually cancels the order to stick with the same provider for a DVR they hate before they get it and hate it even more after. :D That person needs to have their head examined for sure. :eek:

I am not taking sides here, but those are very funny lines:D

People that feel the need to judge others in a public forum like this need to seek help themselves.

In one of the recent postings (can't remember which thread it was) I saw the statement that someone posted about " having a Vurbano".

When your name becomes a verb (or actually a gerund) you've arrived at a unique status in life.

I didn't have to pay nearly those fees for my HR-20 $150 is what I paid no shipping and broke down in 3 payments. My H20 was free. I paid $199 at Bestbuy, "when it first came out ,I think its only $99 now".but anyway Directv still gave me a $200 rebate.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)